Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 03:45 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
That's the fact of the matter Mutiny, all the power is in Atlanta... look at the naming of the newly merged University in Augusta. Augusta was slapped in the face with the name Georgia Regents University after there was national/state and local surveys that showed University of Augusta was the overwhelming favorite. The BOR in Atlanta continued with their ego-trip and named it Georgia Regents anyway. There are protests, resignations and a unified/upset community about 2hrs East of Atlanta over this...

That's just how it is in this state, everything is through Atlanta... I know Augusta is sick of it as the disconnect between Atlanta and the rest of the state continues to grow. The disconnect is real.
Augusta get no love in the gold dome, we are better off working with Columbia, to get Aiken and Edgefield more attractions and developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 04:07 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
I've been saying on here for a while that the business model in Georgia is unlike any other state in the Southeast, maybe more lopsided than any state in the country... all the eggs in one basket, there is no competition, only domination in the state and outside of Atlanta, every city fights for crumbs and leftovers. Should Atlanta slow down, the state is in trouble as the other economies/cities have been neglected for so long that there is no alternative to turn to. Look at North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama and Florida... many nice metros... then look at Georgia, it's night and day.

Atlanta put all the eggs in one basket and now that according to recent articles the migration to Atlanta has all but stopped and the population is growing mainly because of births in the city... we'll see what happens to the state.

I don't know how else you explain the growth of one city, such as Atlanta has seen over the last 50 years or so and call it anything but planned... when compared to the rest of the growth in the metros across the state, or lack thereof. I don't how that can be called a conspiracy theory, at all.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:13 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
You are a hypocrite Mutiny77.

You spend all day yesterday trashing Augusta because I dared to say that Augusta and Columbia SC, the state capital, are peers and interact in a competitive way from time to time. You denied it for awhile before excepted it. You were soo butt hurt about that. So let me get this right is OK to compare Charleston and Savannah but not Augusta and Columbia? Explain that. Now that Augusta and Columbus Ga (a much smaller city than Columbia) is the trending topic, somehow this is just as bad. The second tier metro aren't stuck, all are growing positively last time I checked. I'm sure the future of Georgia isn't decided on this board clown lol I have zero influence on the city leader, do you? Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, Athens and Macon is where it is because of city and state officials.
You have SERIOUS reading comprehension problems; I don't even know where to start.

Firstly, I did not trash Augusta yesterday. My point of contention with you was that Augusta and Columbia are NOT at war (the word you used) with each other, in any respect whatsoever. You never brought up anything about them being peers, yet I've said in this thread and elsewhere that they are. "Interacting in a competitive way from time to time"? I've seen absolutely no evidence of that, unless you want to talk about how some folks choose to stay in Columbia during Masters week instead of Augusta for cheaper hotel rates; other than that, they've never competed for anything that I know of--economic developments, special events, etc. Talking about how a handful of folks from Aiken County might take jobs at the Amazon distribution plant in Cayce is not an example of competition. So there was nothing to be "butt hurt" about; what you were stating simply wasn't true and I pointed that out. I never said that Augusta and Columbia couldn't be compared because they actually are similar in a couple of ways; I simply said they weren't competitors. You DO know that it's possible for cities to be similar yet not really compete for stuff, right?

LOL at "now that Augusta and Columbus is the trending topic..." Hell, when is it not on this forum? You guys stay on this merry-go-round; y'all have covered every possible point of comparison between the two but continue to hash them out on these regularly-occurring knock-down, drag-out cripple fights. I mean it's quite entertaining and all, but you'd think at some point y'all would get fatigue but I guess not.

You say they aren't "stuck"? LOL, ok...if you say so. All have their positives, but when compared with regional peers in neighboring states, for the most part, Augusta's second-tier cities have a good bit of work to do in some really important areas.

Carry on; don't let me rain on the parade.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:34 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
Mutiny,

Tell us how the 2nd tier cities in Georgia are supposed to reverse their course with the state influence set up such as it is? Tell me why or how any other city in Georgia could net a series of major/course altering establishments when everything is in Atlanta?

I know for a fact that Augusta and Columbia compete in the energy sector, healthcare and students to an extent currently (more so with the merger) among other things... Columbia is a notch above Augusta on the totem poll, but they compete quite often. And competition is a good thing.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
That's the fact of the matter Mutiny, all the power is in Atlanta... look at the naming of the newly merged University in Augusta. Augusta was slapped in the face with the name Georgia Regents University after there was national/state and local surveys that showed University of Augusta was the overwhelming favorite. The BOR in Atlanta continued with their ego-trip and named it Georgia Regents anyway. There are protests, resignations and a unified/upset community about 2hrs East of Atlanta over this...

That's just how it is in this state, everything is through Atlanta... I know Augusta is sick of it as the disconnect between Atlanta and the rest of the state continues to grow. The disconnect is real.
I wasn't talking about frustrations with state government; hell, all cities complain about this to some degree. I'm talking about complaints and almost resentment for Atlanta's success that happens from time to time here.

And I understand the situation with the name of the newly-merged school, but that's minor in the grand scheme of things. The quality of the institution going forward is what will make the difference and represents an area of great potential for Augusta.

Quote:
I've been saying on here for a while that the business model in Georgia is unlike any other state in the Southeast, maybe more lopsided than any state in the country... all the eggs in one basket, there is no competition, only domination in the state and outside of Atlanta, every city fights for crumbs and leftovers. Should Atlanta slow down, the state is in trouble as the other economies/cities have been neglected for so long that there is no alternative to turn to. Look at North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama and Florida... many nice metros... then look at Georgia, it's night and day.

Atlanta put all the eggs in one basket and now that according to recent articles the migration to Atlanta has all but stopped and the population is growing mainly because of births in the city... we'll see what happens to the state.

I don't know how else you explain the growth of one city, such as Atlanta has seen over the last 50 years or so and call it anything but planned... when compared to the rest of the growth in the metros across the state, or lack thereof. I don't how that can be called a conspiracy theory, at all.
Migration to Atlanta has certainly slowed, but only if one thinks that the only alternative to breakneck growth is no growth at all can one say that it has "all but stopped." The metro still posts a pretty rapid growth rate and the slowdown is actually good for the metro area; it will allow for a correction in the local economy which was waaayyy to dependent on construction and real estate and that's why Atlanta is struggling a bit to fully recover economically.

The growth of Atlanta over the past several decades was largely due to progressive and visionary growth from local business and civic leaders; the state didn't have that much to do with it apart from obligatory investments in infrastructure in response to that growth (and even that is lacking in key respects). From Henry Grady to William Hartsfield to Ivan Allen to Maynard Jackson to Billy Payne, they all played extremely important roles in taking Atlanta to the next level and shaping popular public opinion of the city to make it more attractive for outside investment. And when you combine that with the city's geographical location--which is why the city was created as a hub to begin with--you have a dynamic, growing, progressive metro. Could the state have historically done more to encourage growth in the other metros? Sure; Columbus not being along an actual interstate as opposed to a spur hurts it somewhat and the state should have probably tried to land a big economic development a la Kia to the state a long time ago. The state should also invest in UGA to make it more of a state flagship powerhouse a la UNC and UVA. However, I don't see local leaders in the second-tier cities having done everything they could have to make their cities more attractive for investment and growth and encourage the growth of local businesses; however, Atlanta did. That's the difference as I see it.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Tell us how the 2nd tier cities in Georgia are supposed to reverse their course with the state influence set up such as it is? Tell me why or how any other city in Georgia could net a series of major/course altering establishments when everything is in Atlanta?
Well firstly, not EVERYTHING is in Atlanta. Military installations are scattered all throughout the state; Savannah has the port; Augusta has the state's premiere medical university; etc. Those are all things to build off. Aside from Savannah, the other cities should take a page for the playbooks of cities like Greenville and Chattanooga and learn the value of using a revitalized downtown as an economic development tool and that's something that rests largely in the hands of local leaders. I mentioned specific things the state could do in my previous post.

Quote:
I know for a fact that Augusta and Columbia compete in the energy sector, healthcare and students to an extent currently (more so with the merger) among other things... Columbia is a notch above Augusta on the totem poll, but they compete quite often. And competition is a good thing.
What competition in energy and healthcare??? Sure those are both prominent sectors of their local economies, but I've not seen any actual competition between them in these areas. Not sure what you mean by students; students in close proximity to other cities will always consider schools in those cities to attend, but that doesn't mean that Columbia and Charlotte are competitors.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:59 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wasn't talking about frustrations with state government; hell, all cities complain about this to some degree. I'm talking about complaints and almost resentment for Atlanta's success that happens from time to time here.

And I understand the situation with the name of the newly-merged school, but that's minor in the grand scheme of things. The quality of the institution going forward is what will make the difference and represents an area of great potential for Augusta.

Migration to Atlanta has certainly slowed, but only if one thinks that the only alternative to breakneck growth is no growth at all can one say that it has "all but stopped." The metro still posts a pretty rapid growth rate and the slowdown is actually good for the metro area; it will allow for a correction in the local economy which was waaayyy to dependent on construction and real estate and that's why Atlanta is struggling a bit to fully recover economically.

The growth of Atlanta over the past several decades was largely due to progressive and visionary growth from local business and civic leaders; the state didn't have that much to do with it apart from obligatory investments in infrastructure in response to that growth (and even that is lacking in key respects). From Henry Grady to William Hartsfield to Ivan Allen to Maynard Jackson to Billy Payne, they all played extremely important roles in taking Atlanta to the next level and shaping popular public opinion of the city to make it more attractive for outside investment. And when you combine that with the city's geographical location--which is why the city was created as a hub to begin with--you have a dynamic, growing, progressive metro. Could the state have historically done more to encourage growth in the other metros? Sure; Columbus not being along an actual interstate as opposed to a spur hurts it somewhat and the state should have probably tried to land a big economic development a la Kia to the state a long time ago. The state should also invest in UGA to make it more of a state flagship powerhouse a la UNC and UVA. However, I don't see local leaders in the second-tier cities having done everything they could have to make their cities more attractive for investment and growth and encourage the growth of local businesses; however, Atlanta did. That's the difference as I see it.
You are spot on, the only reason the state is the way it is, is because the 2nd tier cities have sat back and allowed it to happen. Cities like Columbus and Augusta need stronger leadership. Atlanta has had a long history of this type of leadership from it's interstates to the downtown to the airport to the Olympics, and so on and so on. I think Columbus has a good vision and Augusta as well. Personally I draw up interstates for a hobby and study urban and city planning in college in my spare time. I have hundreds of ideas on potential ways my love and hometown Augusta can grow. People look at them and some honest laugh and say it's impossible and i'm wasting my time but that doesn't stop me because I have a dream for east Georgia, west South Carolina and both states. An idea is only good if you pursue it.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:08 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
On a separate note, don't y'all get tired of this same merry-go-round? Maybe one reason Georgia's second-tier cities are stuck is because y'all are using each other as barometers instead of progressive cities elsewhere that have accomplished what y'all are trying to accomplish and blaming Atlanta for sucking up all the oxygen in the state.
EXACTLY! It's worth noting that Savannah's "brand" far overshadows that of any other 2nd-tier city in Georgia, and in some opinion surveys has a better reputation than Atlanta. Ask anybody in this country what the second-largest city in Georgia is, and they'll say "Savannah!" Sorry Augusta and Columbus, but that's true. Many first-time visitors to Savannah are surprised by how small the metro area is, because that's not the impression they get from the national media.

Outside of Georgia, Augusta is known for the Masters, and that's about it. Columbus is known for Fort Benning, and that's about it. In fact, I'd venture to say that Macon has more name recognition nationally than either Augusta or Columbus. Not only do millions of Americans drive through Macon every year on their way to Florida, it's got quite a legacy for music, history and culture.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:29 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
EXACTLY! It's worth noting that Savannah's "brand" far overshadows that of any other 2nd-tier city in Georgia, and in some opinion surveys has a better reputation than Atlanta. Ask anybody in this country what the second-largest city in Georgia is, and they'll say "Savannah!" Sorry Augusta and Columbus, but that's true. Many first-time visitors to Savannah are surprised by how small the metro area is, because that's not the impression they get from the national media.

Outside of Georgia, Augusta is known for the Masters, and that's about it. Columbus is known for Fort Benning, and that's about it. In fact, I'd venture to say that Macon has more name recognition nationally than either Augusta or Columbus.. Not only do millions of Americans drive through Macon every ye.ar on their way to Florida, it's got quite a legacy for music, history and culture.
James Brown?? Healthcare?? Fort Gordon/Signal center??

Augusta is far ahead of Columbus and Macon in terms of tourism each year.. Macon might have more name recognition than Columbus, but definitely not Augusta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
If South Richmond county is in Augusta city limits then you obviously don't know anything about density.
Since you think it's fair to compare consolidated cities with miles of untouched land versus original city limits...

Let's pretend Savannah consolidated with Chatham County then... The density is 530/sq mi

Using your logic Augusta would be more 'dense' compared to Savannah... Even though we know the urban core/downtown of Savannah it's denser than Augusta...

Old 08-12-2012, 06:38 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
Quote:
EXACTLY! It's worth noting that Savannah's "brand" far overshadows that of any other 2nd-tier city in Georgia, and in some opinion surveys has a better reputation than Atlanta.
This statement is laughable beyond belief that Savannah has higher name recognition than Atlanta ...ATL...Hotlanta...The A....

Quote:
Ask anybody in this country what the second-largest city in Georgia is, and they'll say "Savannah!" Sorry Augusta and Columbus, but that's true. Many first-time visitors to Savannah are surprised by how small the metro area is, because that's not the impression they get from the national media.
First these are your assumptions... no facts or data to speak of. Second most people don't know what city is second or third or fourth in the pecking in regards to individual states. Savannah is a popular tourist spot, your economy depends on name notoriety. Anybody that watches sports, play golf or ever heard of Tiger Woods or James Brown heard of Augusta and know its in GA. That a lot of people ......

Quote:
Outside of Georgia, Augusta is known for the Masters, and that's about it. Columbus is known for Fort Benning, and that's about it. In fact, I'd venture to say that Macon has more name recognition nationally than either Augusta or Columbus. Not only do millions of Americans drive through Macon every year on their way to Florida, it's got quite a legacy for music, history and culture.
Augusta National or the Masters > Fort Benning GA.... not even close.

Augusta National or Augusta GA or Augusta > Macon or Mactown......I guess if you have to have drive through Macon you recognize the name but no one in California will recognize the name.

Augusta GA or Augusta = Savannah or Savannah GA....... example, why would the average person in Montana or Wyoming know the what and where Savannah is?....... Now why would the average person in Montana or Wyoming know the what and where Augusta is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia