U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,889 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My husband & I are native NY'ers (African Americans), looking to move to Georgia (NOT ATLANTA). The main reasons we are looking to move is for a less stressful life for us & also for a better environment for our 2 boys (ages 11 & 7). I am looking for some feedback and would love to hear from native Georgians as well as transplants as to where's the best place to live considering we have school aged children.

I've done some research and understand there are certain areas that are very good as far as schools (Alpharetta & Suwanee). Our MAIN concern is that we find schools that are good for our boys preferably "mixed." With that said, we'd also like to live in a city/neighborhood that is mixed as well.

We plan to rent an apartment first but are looking to buy a home in the very near future.

We currently will not be transferring our jobs to Georgia so literally will be making a career shift. My husband has experience in Construction (over 10 years), Extermination, Armed Security & also maintenance. I just started a new business and am just getting it off the ground & running so I will need to
find a job as well. Most of my experience is within the legal & medical industries (law firms & hospitals) within a sr. level administrative capacity.

I would love to hear your feedback, I know some may think we're crazy (trust me if you've lived in NYC all your life you would understand), but we're not concerned about having jobs right now...we have plenty of savings (with no debt) and both of us will be receiving an income for about 6-12 months possibly more. We'll also be staying with family basically rent free until we find a place to live.

I know I wrote a lot but here's the basics of what we're looking for:

-Good school districts
-Suburb like area
-Mixed schools/neighborhoods
-Job availability
-Little to No crime
-Affordability of Homes

Looking forward to your feedback! And please don't hold back on me if there are some harsh realities about Georgia - I'm a NY'er I can take it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:45 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,406,938 times
You are emphatic about not living in Atlanta, but the two communities that you reference are suburbs of Atlanta. I'm confused.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,697,015 times
Listen carefully.....

DO NOT move to Georgia without jobs FIRST! Most every industry you mentioned having experience in is not currently a wanted need here.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:06 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,002,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjus123 View Post
I would love to hear your feedback, I know some may think we're crazy (trust me if you've lived in NYC all your life you would understand), but we're not concerned about having jobs right now...we have plenty of savings (with no debt) and both of us will be receiving an income for about 6-12 months possibly more. We'll also be staying with family basically rent free until we find a place to live.
Please be aware that, nationwide, the average time to actively find work has been over six months for some time, and that the State of Georgia and the Atlanta metro have had an unemployment rate above the national average for roughly four years.

Moving here without a job may not be a wise decision. There are people in this forum with fairly heavy qualifications who have been looking for relevant employment for years (literally) with no success.

If you aren't concerned about finding work ... you should be.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,282,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Please be aware that, nationwide, the average time to actively find work has been over six months for some time, and that the State of Georgia and the Atlanta metro have had an unemployment rate above the national average for roughly four years.

Moving here without a job may not be a wise decision. There are people in this forum with fairly heavy qualifications who have been looking for relevant employment for years (literally) with no success.

If you aren't concerned about finding work ... you should be.
This is really good advice and I want to add that some of the areas where your husband has experience have been the hardest hit and most experts believe those areas won't be adding significant amounts of jobs for many years to come. Atlanta is a really hard place to get your foot in the door for those mid level type jobs and entry level type jobs. (If you have skills that make you recruitable, ie strong high-tech related, some health care technology related fields, it is a different story, but for the average employee Atlanta is a difficult nut to crack.)

Old 07-14-2012, 07:39 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,406,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
This is really good advice and I want to add that some of the areas where your husband has experience have been the hardest hit and most experts believe those areas won't be adding significant amounts of jobs for many years to come. Atlanta is a really hard place to get your foot in the door for those mid level type jobs and entry level type jobs. (If you have skills that make you recruitable, ie strong high-tech related, some health care technology related fields, it is a different story, but for the average employee Atlanta is a difficult nut to crack.)
I can only concur with what has already been said here, particularly this statement by lmm. Jobs requiring technical skills are coming back , other jobs not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia