Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 PM

104 posts, read 452,702 times

Advertisements

Ok here I go, I have an even simpler question than the one I wrote yesterday that was apparently erased. My question was written very polite and tactful, but it didn’t pass the moderators approval, I suppose, so I will try it again even more general than yesterday. My question is not to offend any one, but to inform my self on the issue to help me decide were to move after fighting for my country.

Is the Good’Ole south gone? Is there still places in the south were the towns are “down home” towns, were I can raise my son to be a southern Gentlemen, to speak and be polite to every one, to respect his elders and understand that hard work, a firm hand shake, and your word goes a long way, to say yes mam and no mam, yes sir and no sir. Are there towns that still do things the right way, towns who are not scared to death, that if they lock some one up for committing a crime the media is going to be knocking down town halls doors calling justice and punishment, racism and hate! Imagine that, if you commit a crime, you pay for it, wow! So my question is this does the Good’Ole south still exist and if so were are some good cities left in the south. Thanks

P.S. please dont erase this one I dont complain about the hillbilly and redneck comments on every other southern state thread, Thanks

Last edited by Georgia; 10-05-2007 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 03:00 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,218 times
I believed most small towns in Georgia are still like that, specially cities in South Georgia. Georgia is very conservative state outside of metro Atlanta, athens and coastal cities.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:05 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,506 times
Mississippi is a very nice southern state. We would be proud to have you here.
Thank you for your service.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:20 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,211 times
thank you for your service as well. I think the good ol south is still very mich alive which in my opinion is both good and bad depending on the different aspects that make up the old south. Also, I think you'd better learn more about the Jena 6 before criticizing the controversy behind their arrest. Millions of people (of all races) are rallying behind them for a reason.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Honestly, when I think of the "Old South", think, uh oh.I wouldn't want to live in the Old South. The Old South isn't really, as polite and nice as one stereotypically sees it, especially from a black man's view. To a black man, the Old South means oppresion. Is oppresion polite? Is lynching polite? Is slavery polite? Are segregated lwas polite? No. I believe that a person should be punished for his or her action and that can happen still. At the same time, a punishment must not only fit the crime, a public defender should try to defend the persons prosecuted. That is the American way. the public defender in Jena didn't even try.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:11 PM

Thanks for your comments, but let’s not get so touchy, I was not talking about any specific event (Jena 6) but that’s a good point, if some kids Hang a noose from a tree they are wrong! If a group of kids beats 1 kid unconscious that is also wrong! They both warrant punishment, but they don’t warrant the same punishment. I’m sorry if you think differently, but that is for another thread all together. My question was simple, thank you for your input

Old 10-01-2007, 04:32 PM

261 posts, read 621,657 times
Sir,

I believe that your child can learn these things anywhere, if you teach him these things. I believe if you raise him right, you could actually live outside the south.
As far as I know, there are no towns in the south that willingly let criminals go free. The laws seem to be enforced throughout the land.

Although it saddens me that the place you seem to desire is 1953, I know for a fact
that you will not find minorities in Pulaski, TN. It also saddens me as a military man myself to see your post. I am sick to my stomach sir and deeply disturbed to my very core. I have fought hard fights with my fellow brothers in the military of all races.
I feel betrayed because when I saw you, I loved you as a brother and would do anything for you because that has always been our code. I never left you behind.

This is worse than any enemy troop hitting me in the mouth or harming me in any way.

This is a sad day.

Best of Luck In Your Search

Old 10-01-2007, 04:48 PM

[SIZE=3]My friend and brother-n-arms, I think that you are missing my question and point, I’m not interested in finding a town minority free, I’m talking about southern towns were blacks and whites get along and if a incident happens and some one needs to be punished, It doesn’t have to be racism, it could just be good old fashion crime and punishment! It makes me sad that you references Pulaski, Tn. as if every one in Pulaski was racists and I were looking for birth place of the Klan! That offends me good sir.[/SIZE]

Old 10-01-2007, 05:23 PM

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things, this thread is not a blow to any one or a hateful message, and I think that my point would have gotten across better if Ya'll could have read my other thread but it was deleted, probable to keep people from getting off subject. I grew up in Bainbridge Ga, which is a little over 50% black and loved it but times are changing fast and it has gotten to the point were racial tension are to high, things like confederate symbols on clothing were ban from school, that is crazy, my ancestors fought and died for that flag and what it meant, "and the civil war was not fought over slavery", while I was serving in Korea my younger brother was bullied off a public basketball court, and then jumped by 8 kids, my youngest brother was playing baseball across the park and heard the commotion, ran to his brothers aid, by the time he got there my brother had been knocked unconscious so my youngest used the bat to get the other kids off of him. My mother wanted to press charges but the cop told her it would turn in to a white and black thing and since the youngest used a bat (on 8 kids, beating the crap out of his brother) he would end up getting punished more than the other kids. That is not the kind of city I want to raise my son in, so if you are from the south and you understand my question, then I would very much like your input, but if you have your own personal problem with my question please don’t waist my time, I’m not here to argue about 150 years of racial tension. Thanks

Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 PM

177 posts, read 973,294 times
Ga Boy n Iraq,

If I understood you correctly you're looking for southern town with a harmonious feel to it where people are still polite.

I'm not from the south, but I spent my childhood (MANY years ago) in several southern states, so while I don't know exactly the feel you're looking for, I'll try and give it my best shot.

My experiences in Alabama in the 50's was (to put it midly) not pleasant, however my experiences since moving to Georgia from the West have been GREAT.

If location isn't an issue (i.e., you don't need to live in a specific place for a certain type of job), then I suggest you look at --->small<--- RURAL towns south of Atlanta.

Then I'd check the crime stats of those towns -- and note the TYPES of crimes. Then if the crime is lowish, start checking the on-line newspapers for those towns. If a town interests you, you can always subscribe by mail to newspapers as well (the rates for weekly papers are generally pretty cheap overall).

When you get home from Iraq, you could plan a trip to drive through some of the small towns you've selected. It's pretty easy to get a BASIC feel about a town by a REAL good drive-through, stopping in grocery stores, convenience stores, hardware stores etc, and having a meal or two.

If you see kids of different races playing together, people waving as you drive by, or if people speak nicely to you as you wander around, then you're on your way to finding a potential new home. If you wave at people in rural areas and they glare at you...just keep going to the next town on your list. In some towns you can just feel a sense of harmony, in others you get a sense of a very divided town.

BTW, if you decide to drive through small towns remember that a lot of working people won't be around (they'll be at work) so I think the weekends are best for this kind of thing

The best situation might be to find a town you like and live just outside a town in the county area on a house with a couple of acres, that way you can have a few head of cattle and/or a horse.

A lot of times housing developements which are new-ish will have a LOT of people who have recently moved to the area, so they might not have the "old time" feel you're looking for.

Or, you could also find an historic house to fix up in a town, if you're skilled in that way.

And yes, there are still places where children say "yes, m'am" and "yes, sir". In some small towns in the rural south adults say that to ANYONE who is older than they are, REGARDLESS of race. They still address people by a "Miss" or "Mr." and the person's first name.

Best of luck,
zebbie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia