Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM

5 posts, read 5,125 times

Advertisements

Doing my research with moving to Georgia in 2013. Trying to find a nice community, awesome school, but near to ATL for jobs. I have experiences in Hospitality and Coordinator Jobs. I was told that Acworth or Kennesaw, GA are great cities for children. Can someone help me out/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 07:42 AM

21 posts, read 82,205 times
Hi, I can try to help, although Atlanta has gotten so big, with so many areas, that it's tough to know all of the different areas.

I have lived in Marietta for 17 years, so let's talk about that first. A well-known area here is called "East Cobb", where I live. It's basically the eastern side of Marietta, which is about 15 miles NW of downtown Atlanta. The public schools here are considered some of the best in the state. If you hear about Walton, Pope, or Lassiter high schools, then you are talking about East Cobb. The feeder schools into these high schools also get very high marks. There is a good mix of new and older homes, excellent shopping and a new park (East Cobb Park) opened just a few years ago. There is easy access via I-75 to downtown. The area is considered conservative, politically-speaking, but regardless of your background there, people are friendly.

Moving on, north of Marietta is Acworth and Kennesaw, two fast-growing towns. I can't speak of the school systems (good or bad), but you can't go wrong with either city as they are also right on I-75, have plenty of shopping and facilities, and the homes are going to be priced a little better on the whole than East Cobb, since it's a little further out. Kennesaw State University is growing like crazy, and that helps the area. The Barrett Parkway area in Kennesaw is LOADED with malls/stores, and terrible traffic, but there's no lack of retail stores of all kinds.

In short, if it were me, I would look at all three areas. You can't go wrong with any of the three. I can vouch for the great schools in East Cobb, but you will pay more for housing. You can get some great home deals in Acworth. Check out the schools there, and if you are satisfied, Acworth could be the best overall choice, as much as I love East Cobb.

Good luck. You can have a great life in the Atlanta area!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:51 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Acworth, Kennesaw, and Marietta also have the worst commutes into Atlanta of the Metro area with minimal public transit alternatives. You might can find some jobs within these areas, particularly Marietta and the Cumberland area. The other area to look into if you would at least like a good public transit alternative, is along the GA-400 Corridor: Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Roswell, and Alpharetta. Depending on where you live, you might still have to drive to a park and ride, but then you'd have a direct bus connection to a heavy rail station and into Atlanta, all the way to the airport if you need.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:34 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Acworth, Kennesaw, and Marietta also have the worst commutes into Atlanta of the Metro area with minimal public transit alternatives. You might can find some jobs within these areas, particularly Marietta and the Cumberland area. The other area to look into if you would at least like a good public transit alternative, is along the GA-400 Corridor: Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Roswell, and Alpharetta. Depending on where you live, you might still have to drive to a park and ride, but then you'd have a direct bus connection to a heavy rail station and into Atlanta, all the way to the airport if you need.
The Cumberland Mall area is 20+ miles from Acworth. My manager does that commute, and it's not an easy one, which is why he telecommutes most of the time now. The fact that both locations are in Cobb doesn't make them close to each other.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Let me ask you this if I may. Do you HAVE to move to Georgia from the Midwest for some reason(s) or is it a choice on your part?
Also, where in the Midwest do you live now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia