U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 02:13 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,102,398 times

Advertisements

I would choose Thomasville over Bainbridge. Especially if you like history, Thomasville has lots of it preserved as it was where the railroad ended many years ago. Wealthy people would go on vacation there and buy summer homes. Bainbridge would only be slightly cheaper place to live than Thomasville. And if you choose a little town inbetween all of those, it is even a bit more cheaper overall to live. Are you considering other towns in the area? I think looking around in person will answer most of your questions.

My opinion, of course, here is how I rank the "larger" cities there in southwest Georgia desirability to live (depends on what you like) and how close you need to be to work. I rank them based on housing, shopping, convenience, etc.

1. Thomasville
2. Valdosta ** (maybe too far for you)
3. Tifton ** (maybe too far for you)
4. Moultrie
5. Bainbridge

Thomasville wins by far, but these other mentionable cities are worth checking out. The other towns around there are just very small in comparison and don't offer much other than maybe cheaper rent.

Last edited by berkeleylake; 07-31-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 02:33 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,102,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes that was my impression. I think the growth at VSU and proximity to the campus has had a huge impact on downtown Valdosta. I was also pleasantly surprised at how "tropical" it looks; even though Valdosta is right on the Florida border, you don't usually see that many palm trees in inland South Georgia.
You do see some palm trees in southwest Georgia, but they are planted there. And of course, nothing like the coastal areas in terms of having way more of them. Also that Spanish moss that hangs off the oak trees is common in that part of southern GA.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM

16 posts, read 19,350 times
bainbridge is a pretty standard small town for south georgia, but its proximity to tallahassee and lake seminole give you some options.

if your choice is between bainbridge and thomasville, i'd say thomasville. its a nice town with some decent food, and it always seems like they have something going on downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy
There's a reason why folks in Tallahassee -- just 25 minutes south -- flock to Thomasville for adventure
lol i'm not so sure its not the other way around. I drive through thomasville to tallahassee every day, and there's definitely more of us going to them than it is them coming to us. There are a LOT of things to do in tallahassee and down towards the coast.

The only folks I know that come from tallahassee up to GA are those that go to the hunting plantations every weekend. Not that this any solid evidence for any theory, just saying it can go both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002
there are very great restuarants downtown as well...they really have fixed it up from what I here it was like back in the 80.s and 90's!
Downtown has definitely picked up, but i've been a bit disapointed in the restaurants.

Quote:
I fly out of Valdosta every thur..to Atl where I fly to Seattle thursday through monday...and the plane to valdosta is always full...
ouch. that's quite a ride to work!

we used to have five flights a day, which were always around 90% capacity, then they dropped it to three. I heard talk of dropping it to two. Now delta is talking about shedding the bulk of its regional flights so i'm not sure how that is going to affect us. They sold ASA to skywest, so valdosta may be in the clear on this. Lets hope so. Have you heard any mention of it in the terminal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy
I wonder how Wild Adventures has affected Valdosta as a tourism destination.
It used to have a great impact, and it still does on the rare occasion they bring in a superstar music act (which used to be on a regular basis).

But wild adventures is struggling mightily. I'll be surprised if its still open in five years. I used to have season passes for my family. The last two years I had them, we never went. I suppose I kept buying them out of habit.

It was purchased out of bankruptcy a couple of years ago, and while the new owner did make a few improvements to the park, its not enough to keep us coming back every month. I remember when cars were line up for miles to get in and parking on both sides of the highway in fields that people rented out for parking, and you would see a thousand people in the ticket lines; now, you can pull right up and be out of the car and in the park within a couple of minutes.

Last edited by southgeorgia_; 07-31-2012 at 08:09 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 AM

13,683 posts, read 17,777,801 times
^^^ That's sad to hear about Wild Adventures. Would you believe I've never been? Oddly enough, it's about as far from
Savannah to Valdosta as it is from Savannah to Atlanta or Orlando. And let's face it: Outside of Wild Adventures or a high school football game, what's a reason for driving 3.5 hours to VGA?!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,081,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia_ View Post

ouch. that's quite a ride to work!

we used to have five flights a day, which were always around 90% capacity, then they dropped it to three. I heard talk of dropping it to two. Now delta is talking about shedding the bulk of its regional flights so i'm not sure how that is going to affect us. They sold ASA to skywest, so valdosta may be in the clear on this. Lets hope so. Have you heard any mention of it in the terminal?

See I worry about this alot..In fact the whole reason I even live in VLD is because of the cost of living and the fact I can still get to ATL in 30 min Flying time. But if they cut back just one more flight Im in trouble.I remember when VLD had 5 flights it was when they were served by 30 passenger turbo props..the CRJ that serve them now have 50...soo I guess it evens out but does not make it any more convenient.
Things havee changed so much post 9/11 and even right before things just change so much in the airline industry period. I use to fly the ATL SAV route alot and they use to have 767-300 (250+) seats..now I think most are on md80's(120) seats.and the ATL Tallahassee route is even worse as thier planes are the tiny regional gets and maybe one Delta flight a day...but I digress...I have not heard anything but VLD loosing a flight or altogether service but if they do I'm screwed.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 AM

13,683 posts, read 17,777,801 times
ATL airport drives the economy of the entire state and much of the Southeast, but it comes at the expense of all the other cities within 250-300 miles which suffer from less competitive air service. Hard to believe that places like Columbus, Macon, Albany and Tallahassee once had direct jet service to NYC!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM

15,872 posts, read 32,943,261 times
Ive been through both towns, and while I agree with the others that Thomasville has a nicer downtown, it seemed to me that Bainbridge had the nicer neighborhoods. Shotwell Ave in Bainbridge has some beautiful historic homes.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 PM

16 posts, read 19,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Outside of Wild Adventures or a high school football game, what's a reason for driving 3.5 hours to VGA?!
eh. not much really. There is a racetrack just north of valdosta that draws a few people down, and the pga nationwide tour. other than that, no big attractions.

Quote:
and the ATL Tallahassee route is even worse as thier planes are the tiny regional gets and maybe one Delta flight a day

they use the same expressjet CRJ200's that fly out of valdosta, plus the larger CRJ700. Delta flies the MD-88 and 737 between atl and tlh.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 PM

504 posts, read 1,366,621 times
My whole family are from Valdosta. I've been in Atlanta for a long while now though. Not trying to sway one way or another for any of these fine South Georgia cities. Just want to point out the Okefenokee Swamp is nearby. We use to go there all the time as kids. Not that that would change your mind about Valdosta, but is something to look into if you do end up moving there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okefenokee_Swamp

Old 08-05-2012, 09:45 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,081,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia_ View Post
eh. not much really. There is a racetrack just north of valdosta that draws a few people down, and the pga nationwide tour. other than that, no big attractions.

they use the same expressjet CRJ200's that fly out of valdosta, plus the larger CRJ700. Delta flies the MD-88 and 737 between atl and tlh.

Correct...Pre 9/11 and merger mania TLH had so much more service...I was shocked when I heard delta pulled out...however I did not know they came back...I use to fly on 737 all the time into TLH and the planes were full so I could not believe they cut back just to the crj200..I am glad they have at least brought back the md88 and 737 to tlh... now if VLD would get md 88 or 737 delta mainline I would be very happy!! My dad told me back in the 70's Valdosta actually had dc 9's service...which is so wierd because the town was still tiny then below 25000 people....sorry to highjack the thread.. carry on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia