Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 10:00 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,117,793 times

Advertisements

I think this would be quite interesting if they incorporate. If they did, I wonder would Brunswick make a play to incorporate the rest of Glynn County into its borders.
Islanders fight development, consider incorporation - The Brunswick News: Local News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 10:57 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,778,464 times
Thanks for the post. I was their back in August visiting my step sister who lives in Epworth Acres. She mentioned there was talk off and on for incorporation. I think it is needed. And I agree with you that Brunswick and the remainder of Glynn should consolidate.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:24 PM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thanks for the post. I was their back in August visiting my step sister who lives in Epworth Acres. She mentioned there was talk off and on for incorporation. I think it is needed. And I agree with you that Brunswick and the remainder of Glynn should consolidate.
Why? That wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. The city of Brunswick is a far bigger mess than Glynn County. I saw some of these developments coming out of the ground, and I frankly don't see what's so objectionable. I certainly don't see incorporation as a panacea; I really don't know anyone that does.
Anyhoo, it's not my problem anymore. It's my daughter's, and the rest of my relatives down there. I don't see them rending their garments over it.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Why? That wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. The city of Brunswick is a far bigger mess than Glynn County. I saw some of these developments coming out of the ground, and I frankly don't see what's so objectionable. I certainly don't see incorporation as a panacea; I really don't know anyone that does.
Anyhoo, it's not my problem anymore. It's my daughter's, and the rest of my relatives down there. I don't see them rending their garments over it.
Just another example of a Georgia county acting like a city. Most of the newer development and commercial development is in the unincorporated county. I don't like Georgia counties acting like cities. Would be better to incorporate as a new city or be annexed. If Brunswick wasn't so tiny in relation to the rest of the county and concentrating more of the poorer residents within its limits, it wouldn't be in the mess its in, don't you think? I don't think they've moved the city limits in a century.

So, a consolidation would eliminate the mess of Brunswick and the overall area would benefit. If that were to happen, it should make sense that St. Simons be separate from it don't you think?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:21 AM

I think this is a tempest in a teapot. I'm familiar with most of these developments. The Reserve is a very attractive townhouse community located in an area dominated by other townhouses, condominiums, commercial and office development. It in no way is at odds with its surroundings. The one on Longview Road is completely invisible to anyone except one who bothers to drive down a road to nowhere. I was amused by Mimi Waite's comments since HER condominiums were the subject to the same controversy when they were built. It's always the same; the last guy who moves onto the island wants to blow the bridge.
It's always the newest residents that bark the loudest.
My aunt has been a resident since 1938. She has long resided in a home located on 2.5 acres; her lot was the smallest on a street of five houses. The houses were built in the 50s on the grounds of an old estate (which was what that part of the island pretty much was). There was an outcry by the neighbors, of course. The owners retained the original house and 10 acres, which remained there for years. But times change; recently the county rezoned the estate to 1/3 ac SFH. Construction has gotten underway. Again, an outcry. My aunt's reaction? That it was inevitable, the homes are lovely and she has new neighbors.
I still don't see how absorption into the city of Brunswick would address these NIMBYs concerns. Same dance, different partner. I don't think it would happen anyway. The island wouldn't have it; a major reason many live on the island is because it's NOT part of the city. Besides I think what's being referred to in the article is incorporation for SSI.

Last edited by Iconographer; 01-26-2015 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think this is a tempest in a teapot. I'm familiar with most of these developments. The Reserve is a very attractive townhouse community located in an area dominated by other townhouses, condominiums, commercial and office development. It in no way is at odds with its surroundings. The one on Longview Road is completely invisible to anyone except one who bothers to drive down a road to nowhere. I was amused by Mimi Waite's comments since HER condominiums were the subject to the same controversy when they were built. It's always the same; the last guy who moves onto the island wants to blow the bridge.
It's always the newest residents that bark the loudest.
My aunt has been a resident since 1938. She has long resided in a home located on 2.5 acres; her lot was the smallest on a street of five houses. The houses were built in the 50s on the grounds of an old estate (which was what that part of the island pretty much was). There was an outcry by the neighbors, of course. The owners retained the original house and 10 acres, which remained there for years. But times change; recently the county rezoned the estate to 1/3 ac SFH. Construction has gotten underway. Again, an outcry. My aunt's reaction? That it was inevitable, the homes are lovely and she has new neighbors.
I still don't see how absorption into the city of Brunswick would address these NIMBYs concerns. Same dance, different partner. I don't think it would happen anyway. The island wouldn't have it; a major reason many live on the island is because it's NOT part of the city. Besides I think what's being referred to in the article is incorporation for SSI.
The comment about Brunswick annexing unincorporated parts by the OP was an addendum of sorts to the conversation of St. Simons incorporating.... more of a speculation that if St. Simons incorporated, then Brunswick ought to annex or consolidate with the remaining part of the county. The worst thing in the world (and my experience and connections there are nothing like yours) would be for Brunswick to annex St. Simons.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
The comment about Brunswick annexing unincorporated parts by the OP was an addendum of sorts to the conversation of St. Simons incorporating.... more of a speculation that if St. Simons incorporated, then Brunswick ought to annex or consolidate with the remaining part of the county. The worst thing in the world (and my experience and connections there are nothing like yours) would be for Brunswick to annex St. Simons.
But, just looking at a map and seeing development patterns, I don't understand why Brunswick hasn't annexed up to 95 at least. Almost continued development. If you weren't from the area and didn't look at a map, you would think it was all one and the same city.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
And you would be absolutely correct. St. Simons' identity and brand is far too strong to roll over into Brunswick.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:18 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,117,793 times
Well it looks like the commission has put a 90-day moratorium on new residential development on St. Simmons.
Glynn County Commission imposes 90-day moratorium on new residential subdivisions on St. Simons Island | jacksonville.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia