Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 PM

92 posts, read 231,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
It was apparently big enough for the CB to give it MSA status. Although I will say that Hinesville has the advantage of being a two county MSA. Statesboro's micropolitan area is just Bulloch County.

Long County has a 2010 census pop of 14,464.
Liberty County has a 2010 census pop of 63,453.

Bulloch County has a 2010 census pop of 70,217, making it bigger than both Long and Liberty, but smaller than both combined (which is what Hinesville's MSA is). If Statesboro covered another county (like say Screven or Candler County), it's pop would outdo Hinesville's MSA.
Well, you have a good theory. However I think the real reason Hinesville gains such status is all due to the military base and the suddenly sprawl that accompanied the military expansion. What was it called- BRAC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Unhappy correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Because they're a lot closer and more economically / socially integrated with Savannah. We're talking about the area DIRECTLY ACROSS the Savannah River from downtown Savannah. Where I sit right now at my home on Wilmington Island, it is 10 miles by boat to HHI. I have tons of friends who live here and work there, or vice versa. It's kinda a no brainer.
Yes, indeed! Also the two are basically connected with one another anymore. I remember when Bluffton was barely a small town. Now it is nothing but ugly 'dime a dozen' housing development to become another version of Florida for the northern transplants. That is all fine and dandy, economically, but , environmentally it is horrible. I bet quite a few natural areas were destroyed, and that terrain is very ecologically diverse too. it is likely that many pristine, beautiful, and crucial wetlands got filled in just to house someone that lives there 5-6 months out of the year. Oh well, we will all have to deal with such destruction in one way or another in the future.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperrX View Post
Yes, indeed! Also the two are basically connected with one another anymore. I remember when Bluffton was barely a small town. Now it is nothing but ugly 'dime a dozen' housing development to become another version of Florida for the northern transplants. That is all fine and dandy, economically, but , environmentally it is horrible. I bet quite a few natural areas were destroyed, and that terrain is very ecologically diverse too. it is likely that many pristine, beautiful, and crucial wetlands got filled in just to house someone that lives there 5-6 months out of the year. Oh well, we will all have to deal with such destruction in one way or another in the future.
Bluffton is a fascinating place. Twenty years ago, it was a one-square mile town with fewer than 1,000 residents known primarily as a speed trap between Savannah and HHI. Seriously, up until 15 or so years ago there wasn't even a traffic light between the Talmadge Bridge in Savannah to HHI.

Today, Bluffton is one of the fastest growing cities in SC with a 2010 population of 12,000-plus. The surrounding area of South Beaufort and Jasper counties (including Sun City, Oakatie and Hardeeville) are home to another 50,000 or more people. Basically, the "build out" of HHI (caused by limits on new development) in the late 1990s pushed all the new growth onto the mainland, which at the time was part of unincorporated Beaufort County. Because the county master plan did not favor dense or widespread commercial development, the town of Bluffton annexed thousands of acres and took over control (how this could be legal I don't know). The result is what you see today: Massive sprawl and horrific traffic spanning nearly the entire length of US 278 from HHI to I-95 and Savannah.

The Bluffton entry on wiki goes into this in more detail:
Bluffton, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-25-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Bluffton is a fascinating place. Twenty years ago, it was a one-square mile town with fewer than 1,000 residents known primarily as a speed trap between Savannah and HHI. Seriously, up until 15 or so years ago there wasn't even a traffic light between the Talmadge Bridge in Savannah to HHI.

Today, Bluffton is one of the fastest growing cities in SC with a 2010 population of 12,000-plus. The surrounding area of South Beaufort and Jasper counties (including Sun City, Oakatie and Hardeeville) are home to another 50,000 or more people. Basically, the "build out" of HHI (caused by limits on new development) in the late 1990s pushed all the new growth onto the mainland, which at the time was part of unincorporated Beaufort County. Because the county master plan did not favor dense or widespread commercial development, the town of Bluffton annexed thousands of acres and took over control (how this could be legal I don't know). The result is what you see today: Massive sprawl and horrific traffic spanning nearly the entire length of US 278 from HHI to I-95 and Savannah.

The Bluffton entry on wiki goes into this in more detail:
Bluffton, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you for all of those details about Bluffton. Doesn't it make you mad though, about how they destroyed all of that highly eco-diverse area? That is likely why the refuge is all dried up many times and the population of gators there has dwindled greatly. I was up at the refuge earlier this year and there was really one population of gators that I seen, and they were all clinging to one canal a quarter full of the water it once had. There were some extremely humongous gators there though. I have only seen bigger ones at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:33 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
The Savannah Wildlife Refuge is one of the least-known gems of this region. Simply amazing!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 PM

Lightbulb yeah , but

Quote:
The Savannah Wildlife Refuge is one of the least-known gems of this region. Simply amazing!
Yes it is, but the refuge is barely hanging on from what it looked like when I was up there last fall. There are only a few canals that still have water on it. A guy told me the government comes in and does 'projects' that help in making the canals dry up along with the developments and other manipulation of the land. Well, these so called projects are destroying the refuge. Why have a refuge when they just want to play around and ruin it? Kind of defeats the purpose, just like such a plethora of other things the govn't and those with 'power' get their hands on. I major in Environmental Studies and this really makes me angry, sorry. Soon they will not be any marshes or wetlands left in the Savannah area, all because of selfish developers. One day this will also come back to haunt the developers and home buyers when a storm comes up and blasts everything to pieces. Sacred Savannah will be destroyed just like New Orleans nearly was, if they manipulate the marshes anymore, if they haven't already gone too far. Those marshes that the rich-o people want to buy a house on, actually save all of that from happening, by buffering the storms. I have a name for such people-'selfish hogs'. They care nothing but about themselves. I am referring to all of those places like Skidaway Island, Sea Islands-Wilmington Island and Riverside, The Landings, and Tybee. I know a lot of real estate people are in these forums, I hope they read this. hahahaha

Last edited by FlipperrX; 08-25-2012 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: word omission

Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
It was apparently big enough for the CB to give it MSA status. Although I will say that Hinesville has the advantage of being a two county MSA. Statesboro's micropolitan area is just Bulloch County.

Long County has a 2010 census pop of 14,464.
Liberty County has a 2010 census pop of 63,453.

Bulloch County has a 2010 census pop of 70,217, making it bigger than both Long and Liberty, but smaller than both combined (which is what Hinesville's MSA is). If Statesboro covered another county (like say Screven or Candler County), it's pop would outdo Hinesville's MSA.
This is true, but think about the odd shape of Liberty and Long counties (not to mention the fact that most of Liberty & Bryan counties are split in half because of Fort Stewart).

The populations of Statesboro and Hinesville are really very similar, they just came to their respective populations in very different ways.

Slightly off subject... I wouldn't be surprised if Candler county is included with Bulloch in Statesboro's Micropolitan area in the near future. Metter and Candler county has become more and more connected with the Statesboro area as time goes on..

As for Savannah's dislike for Statesboro? I haven't heard of such crap. If anything, it is the opposite. I know lots of people who frequently drive up to Statesboro and vice versa for one reason or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia