Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:25 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,844,832 times

Advertisements

Do Georgia Highways HAVE to Be So Ugly? - YouTube

I would love some good input about this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times

Billboards always have vocal opponents from the folks that don't like to be forced to read things.
It's the same people trying to ban signs in commercial districts of cities and towns.

Personally I like the blindfold idea.

OR better yet, how about we put a toll booth at the border so all the people passing through on their way to Orlando can help pay for job development here in GA so people don't have to work at roadside businesses catering to tourists. I mean, if our tax dollars are going to maintain roadways for millions of tourists to go to florida, we should be able to at least try to make a living off of them in a legal fashion.

Sure there's stretches of highway in florida that don't have billboards and as a result they have little or no hotels, restaurants or places to get gas either. Ask the tourists if they'd rather be forced to read a billboard or take a crap in a field and go hungry or wait in long lines and pay higher prices at the one and only gas station.

Sorry but there's no free lunch.
And I've been down that stretch of 75 countless times. There aren't any trees or anything pretty behind those billboards either. If anything, they help keep motorists from noticing how ugly and barren the agricultural and developed areas are by sticking rows and rows of billboards in front of it.

The narrator of the video claims there aren't any billboards in North GA and there most certainly are. Many of them are on very tall monopole structures above the treetops. Way up there they are hard to notice and even harder to read. You pretty much need a moonroof and a pair of binoculars to read them.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
I agree completely. There needs to be a balance between the ability to advertise and the rights of the citizens of the state not be bombarded by ugly billboards that destroy the landscape. Besides the terrible driving down south, that's one of the biggest and most noticeable differences on the roads when you move here from places like New England where billboard proliferation is controlled.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I agree completely. There needs to be a balance between the ability to advertise and the rights of the citizens of the state not be bombarded by ugly billboards that destroy the landscape. Besides the terrible driving down south, that's one of the biggest and most noticeable differences on the roads when you move here from places like New England where billboard proliferation is controlled.
You agree with who?

The guy in the video thinks there should be NO signs. Like in parts of florida. Not a balance, none.

I, on the other hand, think there should be no sign regulations, which would result in more signs, but probably much smaller ones better spaced apart.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Signs are controlled by county and city ordinances, not state. The reason you see so many sections of I-75 through middle and south Georgia overrun with ugly billboards is, the local governments use these to GENERATE REVENUE! The more affluent counties don't need this revenue and have fewer signs; the poorer counties the opposite.

The BEST examples I know of are in middle Georgia, where both Bibb and Houston counties have strict billboard regulations but Peach County allows every damn ugly and offensive sign known to man. It's very noticeable driving the 20 miles or so from Macon to Warner Robins. Ditto Adel/Cook County (home of King Frog) between Valdosta and Tifton. UGLY UGLY UGLY!!!!

And if you believe sign controls don't make a difference in a community, just drive around Fayette County. HUGE difference compared to the rest of Metro ATL!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Hard to notice the signs when you're staring at all the TRASH on the roadside and trying to avoid the big crumble spots on the poor quality roads. GA road shoulders have to be the most disgusting I've seen in all the miles I've driven (every state, several countries). That's what I see, and shake my head about, when driving around GA. Sometimes (once a year?) they're cleaned up, but a week later there's as much trash as before. Doesn't matter if it's one of the interstates, a main highway or tiny local road. That's what I see.... I've never even noticed that there were That many billboards.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Hard to notice the signs when you're staring at all the TRASH on the roadside and trying to avoid the big crumble spots on the poor quality roads. GA road shoulders have to be the most disgusting I've seen in all the miles I've driven (every state, several countries). That's what I see, and shake my head about, when driving around GA. Sometimes (once a year?) they're cleaned up, but a week later there's as much trash as before. Doesn't matter if it's one of the interstates, a main highway or tiny local road. That's what I see.... I've never even noticed that there were That many billboards.
Good point. These anti billboard groups never have anything to say about trash and litter unless it's litter that forces them to read something. Not a peep about other blights such as decaying buildings or junk cars, un mowed lawns and other ordinance violations. All they care about signs because signs make them read, think and feel a certain way and these people feel that's a violation.

Blindfolds. Why didn't I think of that?

Old 09-10-2012, 10:50 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
You agree with who?
I agree that Georgia has too many billboards alongside the interstates, and there needs to be more responsible regulation, be it at the state, county, city, or other level.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:23 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
It's the same people trying to ban signs in commercial districts of cities and towns.
I don't think so. There's a big difference between a commercial area in a city and nice stretch of countryside.

The "right to advertise" (if there is any such thing) is surely at least as limited as freedom of speech generally.

Having freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say anything, anywhere and anytime. You can't yell fire in a crowded theatre, you can't walk into a church and start cussing, you can't lie, slander, plagiarize, commit fraud, paint graffiti on your neighbor's house, wear a shirt with obscene pictures and words, or do any number of other things.

In a free society all rights are balanced against the rights of others. If people think billboards are essential to a high quality of life, I'd simply create billboard zones. Say 500 feet from designated intersections. You can put up billboards to your heart's content in these areas but not elsewhere. That's a more than fair compromise.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
It's a known fact that northerners can't drive. That's why you guys prefer Mass transit....The worst drivers in GA are up the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia