Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 06:04 AM

6 posts, read 21,641 times

Advertisements

hi, i'm very interesting moving to cumming from florida.. any information? i did some research on internet and seems good.. Me and my wife are in the mid 30's.. any job opputunities? or do i have to travel down in atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,043 times
After moving there, you will end up changing your screen name to 'cummingsux'

It's a shi!hole...We absolutely hate it here...

Here's a few reasons:
-Horrible traffic
-Out of control sprawl
-Shi!!y downtown
-Being overrun w/illegals
-People extremely judegemental, and phony
-Cost of living going up and up but services are crappy
-Schools not all that great
-Police harrass people
-You'll always be an outsider
-Absolutely DEVOID of ANY character or ANYTHING interesting, unless you find Super Wal-Mart or Super <any store> interesting
-Better be very religious and center your life around your church if you want any chance of fitting in or making any friends

Old 09-28-2006, 12:14 PM

99 posts, read 308,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAhighschoolC View Post
Same could be said about all of Northeast GA

GAhighschoolC, why exactly did you move out of S. FL to GA? If I remember correctly from a previous post, you lived in Parkland (an upscale area I know) to NE GA? What would make you do such a thing?

Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 PM

99 posts, read 308,299 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with me giving a thumbs up to the previous post. Got a prob? Hit a nerve? Then take it to email.

Uhmmmmm, I was simply asking a question. I moving out of FL b/c I don't like the high cost of living and fast pace, and have openly stated my reasons as such on the FL forum. I don't bash the state, it's just a change of lifestyle. I have no info on Cummings or interest in living there.

I wasn't intending to be rude in my question. Sorry if you took it that way.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:40 PM

cost of living in florida is much higher.. i own a townhome w/ only 1500 sq. ft, no garage, cost me 320k.. Pay wages is extremely low.. in cumming, i'm seeing almost twice the size for 220k..

Old 09-29-2006, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasux View Post
hi, i'm very interesting moving to cumming from florida.. any information? i did some research on internet and seems good.. Me and my wife are in the mid 30's.. any job opputunities? or do i have to travel down in atlanta?
Hello.

My wife and I are leaving South Florida and moving to Cumming as well. We have a contract on a new house, we are just waiting for a buyer for our home here in Florida. I will be relocating with my company that has a site in Alpharetta. I was doing quite a bit of research and searching in the IT job market up in the area and Alpharetta is becoming quite the hotspot for these types of jobs. And North Atlanta has a strong IT job market as well. I'm not sure what field you are in, but start looking at the job forums (careerbuilder.com, monster.com, hotjobs.com) and do some searches.

For those people in this thread questioning why someone would move from Florida to a suburb of Atlanta, you should try living here for 1 year. You can pay $400K for a modest 3/2 home that's new enough to have been built to hurricane codes so it will last thru all of the storms. You can pay the $5200 in home owner's insurance each year, even though you have made no claims on your policy, ever (oh, that's if you can find an insurer that will write you a policy....if not, you'll be stuck with Citizens, the FL govt. run insurer, where you'll easily pay twice that much). Then you can pay the $4800 in real estate taxes for the year.

Each day, as you are driving to work to obtain lower-than-average wages to pay your inflated bills, you can top off at the gas station and pay $3/gallon (still today, even with prices dropping). Then as you are at work, you can worry about your house all day and hope that no one breaks into it or vandalizes it. When you get home from work, you can watch the news and learn about all of the murders, rapes, gang activity, riots, or what have you that happened that day in South Florida. If you have any kids, you can ask them about their day "learning" at their middle school, and hope they don't tell you yet another kid was found with a knife or another student hit a teacher or another one was caught selling drugs.

I could go on and on. Think I'm exaggerating? I'm not. Ask anyone here. It's getting to the point where you have to be wealthy and cynical and numb to make it here. My wife and I can't wait to leave.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:31 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,117 times
There is a lot of noise in these forums and you will learn soon enough to ignore the "bait" posts. My personal experience is that the transportation infrastructure in Cumming has not kept up with the housing frenzy, so you will feel some growing pains as the community matures. As in any town around the country, it really is what you make of the situation. Many are willing to sacrifice commute time for a newer and bigger house. I chose the opposite.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,736 times
Quote:
Um youre in for a surprise because its the same thing here with the crime and the schools. Although I agree there are some not so great places in South FL like anywhere 300-400 and up doesn't get you into the great neighborhoods. I'd rather rent in a South Florida 500-1 million neighborhood than live here - just my personal opinion. I'm one of those people that bought into the hype and basically I'm going to do my time in this penal colony and leave. But I'm glad there will be another sucker cause I will need them to buy my home
I have to strongly disagree. The crime rate for our current ZIP code averages about 180% of the national average. Cumming ZIP code, where we are moving to is about 20% of the national average.

Our family and friends in Alpharetta, Rosell and Cumming concurs with how quiet and friendly it is up there compared to Florida.

You call me a sucker yet you seem to think you'll be renting a $.5 Mill home? Hope you'll be making over $100k / year down here or you will need a few roommates.

To each his own.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:02 PM

Not only cost of living in florida is so high, but the pay wages are one of the lowest in U.S.. Right to work state suxxxx...

Old 10-01-2006, 08:42 AM

It is???? **** LOL.. But i did alot of research in atlanta or near by surburb, and the pay wages are much higher.. Think of this.. My townhome (1500 sq. ft)cost me 320k, no garage, no land, HOA is 236.00, tax is 6,800 ( including homestead) and insurance is 2,800 and it may go to 3,800- 4,800 next year.. Medium income in florida is about 12 or 13 an hour, well below national. So even if GA is 12 ,(medium) compare to cost of living in florida, this is by far the best choice. I make 45k a year. I search tons of jobs in my field in GA(mostly in atlanta area) and they are paying 60-80k!. To me, this is heaven..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia