U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 AM
 
11 posts, read 45,956 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Hello to all you Georgians out there!

My family and I are Floridians and are ready to kiss Florida GOODBYE! We wanted your opinion on where is the best place to relocate with a 10-yr-old. We currently live on a ranch and miss the city life. It takes us 45 minutes to get to work which is not ideal. We are tired of living so far out and having to drive for a very long time just to go to the grocery store. We thought living on a ranch would be ideal for raising adoptive children but it's a lot of hard work with the land and all and we want to downsize and basically simplify our lives. My husband and I would like to be in a place where we could easily find jobs, surround ourselves with nice and friendly neighbors, have our 10-yr-old attend a good school and find a safe environment with low crime. We miss the city life but don't want to be smack in the middle of tourists either. We were thinking of North Ga mountain area. I lived in Augusta, Ga for 8 years and thought it was okay. We have heard that in the North GA area jobs mainly go to family and their family members. Is this true? Are GA folks in that area pretty accepting to nice family oriented Floridians relocating in their state and wanting to make a better life for themselves? We aren't rednecks and we don't fall into the high society snob but are in the middle, down to earth folks who don't mind working for a living. As far as housing, we were looking at possibly purchasing a log home but I hear there's a lot of upkeep. Maybe we can find a nice condo. So, we would love to hear your opinions on these subjects and we really appreciate your time spent reading our thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM
 
150 posts, read 428,661 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3amigos View Post
Hello to all you Georgians out there!

My family and I are Floridians and are ready to kiss Florida GOODBYE! We wanted your opinion on where is the best place to relocate with a 10-yr-old. We currently live on a ranch and miss the city life. It takes us 45 minutes to get to work which is not ideal. We are tired of living so far out and having to drive for a very long time just to go to the grocery store. We thought living on a ranch would be ideal for raising adoptive children but it's a lot of hard work with the land and all and we want to downsize and basically simplify our lives. My husband and I would like to be in a place where we could easily find jobs, surround ourselves with nice and friendly neighbors, have our 10-yr-old attend a good school and find a safe environment with low crime. We miss the city life but don't want to be smack in the middle of tourists either. We were thinking of North Ga mountain area. I lived in Augusta, Ga for 8 years and thought it was okay. We have heard that in the North GA area jobs mainly go to family and their family members. Is this true? Are GA folks in that area pretty accepting to nice family oriented Floridians relocating in their state and wanting to make a better life for themselves? We aren't rednecks and we don't fall into the high society snob but are in the middle, down to earth folks who don't mind working for a living. As far as housing, we were looking at possibly purchasing a log home but I hear there's a lot of upkeep. Maybe we can find a nice condo. So, we would love to hear your opinions on these subjects and we really appreciate your time spent reading our thread!
I usually bash on Floridiots but I wont this time. It just doesnt sound like North Georgia is suited for your family. The suburbs of Atlanta just sound more ideal. If you dont want to be stuck in the middle of Tourists then North Georgia definetly wouldnt appeal to you. North Georgia on the weekends turns into the playground for Atlanta and Floridians who want to play country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 PM
 
11 posts, read 45,956 times
Reputation: 16
Thank you for your kindness and sparing us! : ) Good to know about North Georgia. So are there any suburbs of Atlanta that you suggest we should start looking at and doing our homework on jobs, schools, real estate, chamber of commerce, local newspapers and visit the area? Your responses are greatly appreciated...thank you kindly for them. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 PM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,117 posts, read 5,589,793 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3amigos View Post
Hello to all you Georgians out there!

My family and I are Floridians and are ready to kiss Florida GOODBYE! We wanted your opinion on where is the best place to relocate with a 10-yr-old. We currently live on a ranch and miss the city life. )))
Then why are you asking about north georgia mountains? It is very rural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3amigos View Post
((( It takes us 45 minutes to get to work which is not ideal. We are tired of living so far out and having to drive for a very long time just to go to the grocery store. )))
Well um, you could have a much longer commute even if you live in the metro atlanta area! But back to north georgia mountains, which you asked about, it could literally take you 20 minutes just to get to the nearest grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3amigos View Post
(((My husband and I would like to be in a place where we could easily find jobs, )))
I don't know where in the world that would be right now. Some jobs are in demand like healthcare related and in the atlanta area some IT jobs. But for most professions, finding a job ain't easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3amigos View Post
(((surround ourselves with nice and friendly neighbors, have our 10-yr-old attend a good school and find a safe environment with low crime. We miss the city life but don't want to be smack in the middle of tourists either. We were thinking of North Ga mountain area.)))
The mountains may not be high crime but if you are real picky about schools, your options will be limited there. It won't feel like a city, it's a rural area with some small towns here and there. It sounds like you want a suburban area like most of us in metro atlanta live in. Not because we necessarily want to, I'm sure most of us would rather live in the mountains--- I know I would--- but the jobs, opportunities and other necessities just aren't there. It's not a real developed area although probably increasingly more so than most people up there would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM
 
1,474 posts, read 3,201,039 times
Reputation: 2062
You might consider the Buford, GA area. Suggest you search it out on city-data, google. For the best schools, you would want Oconee county adjacent to Clarke county/Athens, GA. Since there is no information on the type of work you are interested in, it is hard to say what you may or may not find. I think there is a market for good, reliable employees but it could take some time to find something suitable. N. GA is dead. Everything is for sale. Construction is at a halt. But again, depends on your skill set. But I rate all of N. GA as too hard to do.

Were I you, I'd give some attention to the Greenville/Spartanburg, SC area.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,708 posts, read 18,113,282 times
Reputation: 9937
Check out Gainesville GA ... northern fringe of Metro Atlanta (it's actually a seperate metro), equal distance to city and mountains, decent schools, relatively low unemployment, lots of outdoor recreation stuff, cultural amenities, transplants, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,278 posts, read 10,097,980 times
Reputation: 6047
3amigos - My primary residence is in the city of Atlanta, but I have a house in Blue Ridge, GA, in the north Georgia mountains. I generally spend a week or two of the month there. I have always felt welcome and have made very nice friends with many locals. And, I can get to two nice grocery stores in about 10 minutes. The school system isn't bad - probably not going to win awards, but it's not bad. There are a few weekends in the fall (particularly during the Ellijay Apple Festival) when the place is replete with leaf-turning-watching tourists. But, that's okay- it brings prosperity to the local economy. Many of the business owners - particularly the little shops, boutiques and restaurants - are owned and operated by folks who moved to the area from somewhere else. My favorite Blue Ridge restaurant is owned and operated by Tampa, Florida transplants.

One of these days I intend to live there permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM
 
58 posts, read 112,095 times
Reputation: 27
If you want to be a short drive to to the mountains, have great schools, lots to do, look at Roswell. Great place for kids and adults as well. Nearby is Woodstock, GA which has options too. But Roswell is a place that continually gets better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
 
Location: N. Ga
3,775 posts, read 3,487,359 times
Reputation: 2180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
3amigos - There are a few weekends in the fall (particularly during the Ellijay Apple Festival) when the place is replete with leaf-turning-watching tourists. But, that's okay- it brings prosperity to the local economy.
You can say that again! Today it was NUTS in Blairsville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2012, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,708 posts, read 18,113,282 times
Reputation: 9937
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
You can say that again! Today it was NUTS in Blairsville!
Meh ... they're JUST leaves ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top