Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 PM

26 posts, read 71,191 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the Atlanta Area.He works at the airport and I will be working downtown. We currently have 5.5 acres and horses in Florida. Tired of all the rain and flooding and waiting for hurricanes every yr. . Its rural and peaceful and no one complains about our dogs barking, even though they are inside due to heartworm threat and don't bark much.

ANyway, realtors are a waste of time because they can't really tell you the truth and sell you what they have in inventory. I would like to compare east cobb to gwinett county and then douglasville looks ok but not sure if areas with land. Heard 400 corridor has the worst traffic. Not interested in NYC traffic. I have been looking on line at willow.com but dont know what the demographics looks like or schools. I have grown kids so schools are not a problem. Really don't care about age of home but would not like a ranch.

If you can help please advise.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM

70 posts, read 161,857 times
Traffic is pretty bad from everywhere to Atlanta whichever way you look at it...since both you and your husband will be working directly in Atlanta Gwinnett County might not be the best choice...

Gwinnett is known for its good schools and safe areas, and also the ability to get large houses for cheap, but the average commute for a standard work day would probably be 2 hours to and 2 hours from...

If you like apartment life and if your children do not live with you then your best bet would be to find a nice apartment in Midtown maybe otherwise I cant really help you out, some of the others here can give you more knowledge of other surrounding areas I think

Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,215 times
You might want to consider posting your question on the "Atlanta" specific forum. You might get more hits there. My son lives in Gwinnett near Mall of Georgia and commutes to his work very near the airport. Nearly 50 miles one way in I-85, I-285 traffic going and coming. Brutal.

Whatever you do, choose carefully.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
If you could use transit, the GA-400 corridor could actually work. Unlike most of the Metro area, the 400 corridor is served by several bus routes that travel straight from various park and rides, to the North Springs MARTA station, which would have a one-seat ride into downtown and the airport. Yes, you'd have to transfer, but it would be a free transfer from the bus. Of course your downtown job may not be near a MARTA station so you should also take that into consideration, but the buses actually do a decent job downtown filling in the areas.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Live south of Atlanta. Fayette County or Henry County will probably be your go-to spots. There isn't much traffic on the southside at all. Mainly just I-75 south of 285, and the Downtown Connector, there can be problems. But nothing like the north side.

Since schools aren't important and you're more into the rural lifestyle then actually South Fulton is very much an option. It kind of got skipped over by suburbanization, and now parts of it are legit countryside--we're talking 15-20 miles as the crow flies from downtown. Airport commute would be a breeze; under 15 minutes most days.

To be blunt, I have no idea why someone in your situation (schools aren't important, not working on northside, wants a rural setting) would even consider East Cobb or the developed parts of Gwinnett. Douglasville could work--less development over on that side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: