Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,871 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating from Southern California (just north of San Diego County) to Georgia this summer with our (young) family. He is a red-headed Italian (yes, they exist :P) and I am Hispanic. Our three children (ages 1, 1, and 2) are all black.

I was excited the see such a great mix of ethnicity (I want to be sure that wherever we go, our children do not feel like outsiders) when I found this:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/13000.html

And then when we started looking at home prices we were sold (I can't buy a 1 bedroom condo in our city for less than $175k)! So I began looking into reviews/personal experiences people have had in different cities (so we could narrow down our home search) and found these:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...rgia-cali.html

(^^ I know this is a bit old but see specifically her review on segregation - I didn't realize it still existed either and this came as a huge disappointment)

and

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1148770

Being in an interracial marriage (before we adopted), even in a liberal and progressive state like California, opened up a world of stares, comments, and judgment - we are more than used to it now. But I would be lying if I said that I'm not a little nervous about how far it could escalate (especially, for instance, if my husband were to take our kids out grocery shopping or to the mall alone) should we move into the wrong neighborhood or city.

Am I just being paranoid? There is a reason the incident with the young couple made the news, right? Because it isn't a common occurrence?

What specific towns/cities do you think we should be looking into? We are trying to keep our budget at or under 100K for a home and will be homeschooling (most likely) so school ratings are something to consider but not necessarily prioritize at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingfamilyof5 View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating from Southern California (just north of San Diego County) to Georgia this summer with our (young) family. He is a red-headed Italian (yes, they exist :P) and I am Hispanic. Our three children (ages 1, 1, and 2) are all black.

I was excited the see such a great mix of ethnicity (I want to be sure that wherever we go, our children do not feel like outsiders) when I found this:

Georgia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

And then when we started looking at home prices we were sold (I can't buy a 1 bedroom condo in our city for less than $175k)! So I began looking into reviews/personal experiences people have had in different cities (so we could narrow down our home search) and found these:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...rgia-cali.html

(^^ I know this is a bit old but see specifically her review on segregation - I didn't realize it still existed either and this came as a huge disappointment)

and

Interracial Georgia couple says they were targeted by thugs in Savannah hate-crime attack* - NY Daily News

Being in an interracial marriage (before we adopted), even in a liberal and progressive state like California, opened up a world of stares, comments, and judgment - we are more than used to it now. But I would be lying if I said that I'm not a little nervous about how far it could escalate (especially, for instance, if my husband were to take our kids out grocery shopping or to the mall alone) should we move into the wrong neighborhood or city.

Am I just being paranoid? There is a reason the incident with the young couple made the news, right? Because it isn't a common occurrence?

What specific towns/cities do you think we should be looking into? We are trying to keep our budget at or under 100K for a home and will be homeschooling (most likely) so school ratings are something to consider but not necessarily prioritize at this point.
Where will you be working?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,871 times
We were looking into the Atlanta suburbs. We have steady income that will follow us wherever we go (not much but we get by) so for now we are just looking for the most affordable places to live (without venturing into an area with very high crime rates).

Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,101 times
I can say from experience Savannah is a whole new world, the shameful part of Ga. It has a lot of beautiful historical buildings and great sea side location, but that is were it ends. They fight worse then cats and dogs in savannah. Until they get it under control ( fingers crossed they do once again- its a beautiful town), Atlanta suburbs on there worse days is a lot safer.

Suburbs of Atlanta you would like far better. depending on what you want like, there plenty of smaller cute mid szied cities you can find some middle ground. Augusta CSRA, Atlanta, and Columbus, GA would be the 3 area of considerations I'd suggest. 2 are military base supported so you will find many 'interracial married couples" near both. I am sure you will also near Atlanta.

Disclaimer: Opinions may very. These are my own, you don' t need to make them your's.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
You'll have no issues whatsoever in most of the upper-middle class suburbs of Metro Atlanta -- particularly East Cobb, North Fulton or Gwinnett. Despite what you've read, interracial couples are quite common, as is the adoption of orphaned children of from undeveloped countries. I personally know dozens of people (couples and singles) that have adopted children born Russian, Chinese, South American, etc (remember, Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world and is well connected internationally).

Sad to say, the only negative reaction you might get is from African-Americans who want to know why "white people" have black children. And yes, in Atlanta a "red-headed Italian and Hispanic" will most likely be seen as just regular old "white people." LOL!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,744 times
You'll fit in nicely in Atlanta.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:51 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sad to say, the only negative reaction you might get is from African-Americans who want to know why "white people" have black children. And yes, in Atlanta a "red-headed Italian and Hispanic" will most likely be seen as just regular old "white people." LOL!
Lol, very doubtful.

You may get a few second glances, but the race will play little or no part in any abnormal attention or comments you get. (Thank Madonna and Brangelina? :-) )

Education, intelligence level, and social IQ will.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:37 AM

6 posts, read 12,056 times
Default north of atlanta

Stay close to Atlanta, North of Atlanta is family oriented and there are all kinds of families, I have friends of all races and back grounds here. Anywhere you go you'll find close minded people, so you will find some here but it's not the norm.
I agree with East Cobb, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, etc.
If you like intown living you'll find a ton of great communities, they'll cost more for less house and often the public schools are a challenge but that is an option as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia