U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2006, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 14,748 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking to purchase a home in Paulding County, GA. We are an African American family with two young boys and we are looking for a nice neighborhood to raise our children. We looked at houses in the area and the it seems perfect for us. One concern that arised was when we viewed the demographics of the area. We noticed that only 7% of the people there were African American with 90% of the people being White. We have no problem within our family about this because we are coming from a military lifestyle and our kids are used to diversity. We would just like to know if there is any type of racial tension in Paulding County or will it be a nice place to raise our two boys................

Also, if anyone has any input into the Paulding County school system I would love to hear it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cathleen

Last edited by wiahdee; 10-04-2006 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,051 times
Default Paulding County....

Hi! My family just moved here, to Hiram, in Paulding County from Vermont in April 2006. I dont know much about outward racism in this county, although there may be undercurrents of it around...there is a website called Paulding.com you can sign up for and see what the members have for opinions...I do know that there are a mix of races, and faiths on that site. The subdivision that we are in is nice and peaceful, that I have experienced. We have an African American family next door to us that we find to be very average,no different from any of us, I dont think, except I think they feel a little reserved, because they are the only family that is African American on the street. I really would like to get to know them better, I wave every time they are out, and they wave back. Who cares what color whoever is? I dont! anyway, it seems like a nice subdivision, if you want the name of it, just let me know! I just noticed you posted that you were a military family, and my neighbors are also!

Last edited by wenfen; 10-04-2006 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 10-04-2006, 01:22 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,792,437 times
Racism can exist anywhere - even Manhattan, so Paulding is really not much different than anywhere else. It's a fast growing suburb of Atlanta, so you're getting a diverse group of people moving out there. Some of the numbers may be old you're looking at as well, because a fairly large number of black families are moving into West Cobb and Paulding in the last couple of years. I live within a mile of the Cobb/Paulding line and going up to Hiram (in Paulding) you see quite a few people of various nationalities shopping in all of the stores they've built along Hwy. 278 - it's not a white only cowtown anymore.

What it boils down to is this, if you're respectful of your neighbors, they will be respectful of you. I mean, if a black family moves into a quiet subdivision, and all of a sudden you can hear the loud bass thump of RAP music coming from the house at all hours, then yes, you're going to have problems with your neighbors. But the same could be said if a family moved in and played Heavy Metal music loudly as well. While it's certainly possible to find that one Archie Bunker type of racist in any subdivision, it's not in EVERY neighborhood.

White, black or purple, not all of the families moving out this way are model examples of humans, and their teens are not the best behaved. Try to call the local police department in the area you wind up looking at and ask about crime stats in that particular area.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 14,748 times
I think that this may be the place for us because it seems to be growing. We are looking to purchase in a subdivision name Highlands North in Dallas. I spoke with a friend of my sister in law who has been in the are for approx 8 years and she said she loves it and they haven't encountered any issues. I think being in the military community we have learned to be get along with all races and it's not an issue for us. As we move back to the civilian world we were just a little concerned about how different people are perceived since we haven't lived in Cobb County since my husband joined the military in 1997. We are a really close family and I totally believe in having a mix of great people (whether black, white, hispanic) in your life. It can only enlighten your life more. You are right about some things rascism does exist everywhere and no matter what color you are as long as you have kids you are still a parent that wants to best for your kids.

Thank you all for the responses.

If you have any info on the subdivision I listed above please let me know or any info on the school system would be great as well.

Thanks,

Cathleen

Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 AM

2 posts, read 12,043 times
Default Paulding County

You would be surprised. I moved her from Maine and I believe that the area has gwon so much that is a melting pot. Paulding county is considered a bedroom community of Atlanta now and most of the people who live here are all from other areas. Shouldn't be much different than living on base.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:12 AM

673 posts, read 1,082,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiahdee View Post
Hello,

We are looking to purchase a home in Paulding County, GA. We are an African American family with two young boys and we are looking for a nice neighborhood to raise our children. We looked at houses in the area and the it seems perfect for us. One concern that arised was when we viewed the demographics of the area. We noticed that only 7% of the people there were African American with 90% of the people being White. We have no problem within our family about this because we are coming from a military lifestyle and our kids are used to diversity. We would just like to know if there is any type of racial tension in Paulding County or will it be a nice place to raise our two boys................

Also, if anyone has any input into the Paulding County school system I would love to hear it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cathleen
Cathleen, go to:

http://www.paulding.com/forum/

to learn about Paulding County from the natives.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,953 times
We are a Black American ex-military family who moved to Dallas from another state in 2009. We are originally from Georgia. I was skeptical about Paulding County Schools but we moved here because we found a house we liked. I visited Russom before we purchased our home but noone returned my call. The neighborhood we moved to is mixed but everyone seem to get alone. The school system here needs an overhaul. My kids have been to Russom and Abney Elementary. The schools are very biased and certain parents are allowed to do things when others are not. I did like Russom better although the principal was biased a couple of time. Nevertheless, she was very professional and I loved that about her. Thank God Abney has a new principal because the previous one had some serious issues. I encourage all parents especially black parents to visit the schools as often as possible. If time allows don't hesitate to bring your child to class at least once a month. If more people come, all the attention want be put on one or two. If you don't come around you will be led to believe that everything is perfect. I would love to see more diversity among the staff at W.C. Abney because they have 2-3 blacks working in the whole school. I know that two of them are custodial staff (Janitor). I wouldn't care if some of the female staff weren't so deragatory. I absolutely love diversity and I think it is great when you have staff that are comfortable working with kids and their parents. Most people would not believe some of the ways that people have reacted towards me at the schools. I'm inviting all races to Paulding Schools because they need it and I hope your time here has been good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia