Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 19,210 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions regarding a mid-way point to call home would be appreciated. Originally from Chicago, I prefer the city and my husband is doing great in Chattanooga. I have lots of opportunity near Atlanta but close to none in Chattanooga. Without going into detail about likes and dislikes and causing a commotion can anyone tell me if people do live between these two cities? If so, where would be a good place to compromise? We went to see Rome, GA but I was told it is like a small Chattanooga. Very confused and need some insight. Would prefer to live in an area where the children could go to public school. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 12:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Atlanta is pretty much it as far as a "city" in North Georgia, if you want city living. Rome is a large town, and one of the larger areas outside of Atlanta you'll find. Some might say it's a little redneckish, but it depends on how you define that and your tolerance level toward a more laid back and more rural attitude by locals.

Overall Rome isn't that bad of a town. It gets a bit more hot and humid in the summer due to geography than some other parts of the metro area, but they do have a reasonably decent little downtown area and some arts stuff going on there. You will from time to time run into that "my wife is my sister" kind of person working at the local KFC, but hey, I can avoid chicken.

Another mid-point would be Calhoun, Georgia. Not as large even as Rome, but it's about midway between Atlanta and Chattanooga, so your commute (in GOOD traffic) would be about an hour to either city - slightly less to Chattanooga than Atlanta, though.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:17 PM

10 posts, read 60,543 times
Or Cartersville...it is midway between Chattanooga and Atlanta on I-75 (but just a tad closer on the Atlanta end)...but time-wise about an equal commute. I prefer it to Calhoun as far as shopping and schools go. Rome is a large town, but it was a bit too spread out for me (it took miles for me to get to either of the two Wal-Marts and it does not even have a Target store). The interstate access proved to be quite a hassle too. One must drive to Cartersville and then south on Hwy 41 for a few miles to access I-75.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 19,210 times
Default Chattanooga and Atlanta Mid-Point to Live

Thanks. This helps. I read something about Calhoun and not accepting outsiders. I know this is the South and that seems to be common but would Cartersville be more "outside" friendly?

Old 10-30-2007, 04:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellabird View Post
Any suggestions regarding a mid-way point to call home would be appreciated. Originally from Chicago, I prefer the city and my husband is doing great in Chattanooga. I have lots of opportunity near Atlanta but close to none in Chattanooga. Without going into detail about likes and dislikes and causing a commotion can anyone tell me if people do live between these two cities? If so, where would be a good place to compromise? We went to see Rome, GA but I was told it is like a small Chattanooga. Very confused and need some insight. Would prefer to live in an area where the children could go to public school. Thanks for your help.
Calhoun is halfway between Atlanta and Chattanooga.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:41 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamom73 View Post
Or Cartersville...it is midway between Chattanooga and Atlanta on I-75 (but just a tad closer on the Atlanta end)...but time-wise about an equal commute. I prefer it to Calhoun as far as shopping and schools go. Rome is a large town, but it was a bit too spread out for me (it took miles for me to get to either of the two Wal-Marts and it does not even have a Target store). The interstate access proved to be quite a hassle too. One must drive to Cartersville and then south on Hwy 41 for a few miles to access I-75.
Cartersville is now part of the Metro Atlanta metropolitan area. Yes, it's right above Cobb County, much closer to Atlanta than Chattanooga. Calhoun, well the north end of Calhoun, fits close to the half-way point. Calhoun is in Gordon County.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
I really think your only two options are Cartersville and Calhoun. Rome is too far away from I75 so it would be difficult to commute to either Atlanta or Chattanooga. Calhoun is more "halfway" but Cartersville probably has more to offer in the ways of shopping and dining.. and it is only about a 40 min drive to Atlanta.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 60,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellabird View Post
Thanks. This helps. I read something about Calhoun and not accepting outsiders. I know this is the South and that seems to be common but would Cartersville be more "outside" friendly?
My husband is actually from Calhoun (from age 5 to college age). His parents still live there and well as a brother. I have attended sporting events there and I must say the parents seemed to be very verbal and argumentative at the games. It has left me with a bad feeling about the area. I've got to say I prefer Cartersville. Some of the teams playing Gordon County (Calhoun) were from there and they were much more polite and reserved as a whole. It just seemed more "redneck" in Calhoun/Gordon whereas Bartow/Cartersville left me with more of a friendly and less of a redneck feel. I don't like to use the term "redneck" but I don't really know any other way to describe it. And like I said, the retail is more diverse in Cartersville.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:47 PM

102 posts, read 382,331 times
You will be fine in Cartersville. While it is much closer to Atlanta, since there is no traffic going towards Chattanooga you can still get there quick. Cartersville is accepting of outsiders, some parts of the rest of the county may not be though.

Cartersville has a lot to offer and is now just beginning to really grow. Although growing fast at the time, the city officials seem to be doing a good job of not letting it become one big traffic, big box cookie cutter mess, like many other places in Metro Atlanta.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:35 AM

136 posts, read 478,200 times
I live near Cartersville and have found Bartow County in general to be very accepting of newcomers. I commute to Atlanta. Cartersville is closer to Atlanta and even with traffic I think it's a shorter commute than going to Chattanooga. Chattanooga is above the ice storm line and I think driving over those mountains in the winter could be rough. I also agree with Yeahitsme on the fact that the city officials seem to be doing a much better job of controlling growth that most other areas of metro Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia