Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 AM

50 posts, read 270,689 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to the states, but we're not sure which state to move to. My first choice would have been NYC only because I lived there before. The problem is though we haven't been hearing positive feedback about NYC. I've heard that the middle schools are unsafe and the quality is poor. NYC is, apparently, the most expensive city in the US plus housing is a hassle with rent being so expensive. I was advised to research South and North Carolina and Georgia in particular Atlanta, but I'd like to hear about the other neighbourhoods.

We're basically looking for a family-oriented state where the schools are good, cost of living is low and the crime is too and where I am able to find a physical therapy job. Plus my son is an avid football player, so we'd like to live in a state where kids play football. We are also muslims too, so we'd ideally like to live in a muslim community or at least in a community that has a mosque or islamic shops etc. I don't have a clue how to start researching, as there are so many states to choose from and things to consider. We're already used to the hot climate, as we live in the Dominican Republic at the moment, so I'd prefer to stay in the warm climate.

I am a UK citizen with a greencard, which allows me to work and live in the states. My son is an American citizen and my Dominican husband needs to apply for a visa. Then there's the unemployment to think about and which states are worse off. So, I just wanted to pick your brains and hear your thoughts about the different neighbourhoods in Georgia.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Haleema12; 10-29-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 03:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Not sure how close the climate around the Atlanta area would be to your current location. You can see current weather information all over the net, but it can (and will) get down well below 0 degrees Celsius a few times at night here during the winter months.

In the daytime it's warmer in the winter (highs often around 10-20C), but that might not be warm by your measure. Summer temps tend to stay around 30-35C in the daytime and get down into the low 20's C at night.

Unemployment in Georgia right now isn't good ... 10.1% statewide, and 10.5% in the Atlanta metro as a whole. That's a bit higher than the national average.

It might be a good fit in other ways, since the winter season here is more like an extended autumn compared to where I'm from (Minnesota), since football is a major deal in the state of Georgia, and since folks here are relatively open in general to transplants. Hard to say. Atlanta is a relatively large metro, and of course you're potentially comparing it to the entire country.

Good luck in your research and in your future move!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,863 times
Iv'e lived in Atlanta my entire life and I absolutely love it. I am thinking about converting to Islam from Christianity so I know there are a lot of mosques. Atlanta has a great football environment especially the unnibersity of Georgia which is also a very good school. The only areas with high crime rates are east point, chamblee, doraville, college park, Cummings, and in some parts of dunwoody which is where I live. So all in all Atalanta is a great city that u and you're family would love living in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia