Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,759 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 yr old single mom of one. i live in ohio and i am looking to move to georgia this summer. like leave everything behind and start over. i have $3,000 saved up. i know its not a lot but i have to make this move. ive been to atlanta before and i loved it. i just need advice on the best area to move to that has a good school system, good church, nice neighborhood and jobs. i want to find work when i get there but i was thinking about doing in home daycare/babysitting once i get settled in there and continue taking online classes like i am now. is there anyway you can get an apartment down there with out a job, since i will be relocating?? i need all the advice i can get and please dont try to talk me out of it because this is what i want to do and i know they have bad traffic and as far as crime.. crime is everywhere. so if you have any suggestions on jobs, apartments, schools please help, i need the feedback!! thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Since you want Atlanta, did you post in the Atlanta section? This is general Georgia and covers we little folk who want nothing to do with them city-slickers (who have their own dedicated sub-forums anyway).

Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Cross posting isn't allowed and this was posted in more than one room. The OP mentions having been to Atlanta and liking it, but has not specifically stated that is their only or preferred choice, so I'm leaving this thread open in the Georgia room as there may be alternatives. Any others will be closed. Thank you.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:38 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
What type of church do you attend? Have you been to any churches in Atlanta? I think it might make sense to find your favorite church first - and tailor your apartments around there -as you'll probably find that the easiest way to make friends from small groups/community groups etc. Shouldn't be hard to find an apartment on craigslist - most of the "complexes" for example (Post, Century etc) probably won't rent to you without a job - but you won't have any issues with the single family type/individual landlords - just explain your story. May as well make the move - and if you don't like it - you can always move back. Anywhere north of I-20 is generally a safe bet in terms of location.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Shouldn't be hard to find an apartment on craigslist - most of the "complexes" for example (Post, Century etc) probably won't rent to you without a job - but you won't have any issues with the single family type/individual landlords - just explain your story.
With all due respect, do you really think she will be able to find a landlord, regardless of how many or how big his properties are, that would rent to someone with no steady source of income? Her story is simple: she's unemployed and looking for an apartment. Period. At least from a landlord's standpoint. Sorry, but it's true.

DH and I have been in the rental business for many, many years, and the first thing we need to know from a potential tenant is if they have a steady job. No way would we ever, ever take someone who had no regular income. We have enough trouble getting rent from some of our tenants who actually have jobs!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:09 AM

12 posts, read 19,736 times
Lovejones,

I moved from Columbus, Ohio to Georgia about five months ago. I was more than ready to leave Ohio as I felt that seven years was enough. I now live in Suwanee which is a very good area, but still far from things in Atlanta. I won't go into details about traffic (since you're already informed), but crime is something you should really consider. There are pros and cons to every place. Like you, I visited Atlanta before I moved but it's completely different when you live here. I know you're anxious to move but please reconsider especially since you're a single mother with no job. I'm just five months in and ready to leave. Good luck to you.

One more thing...what is your denomination preference?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I would also mention, regarding your desire to keep children in your home, that no mother in their right mind would leave their child at an outsider's that has just moved here from another state without some really good references, and even then, they would want those references to be local, and recent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia