Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:48 PM

90 posts, read 335,891 times

Advertisements

My husband would love to live in the Mountains, but I'd like to look out across my yard and see neighbor's houses, be close to a town. It can be a small town but close. I find the idea of mountain living kind of lonely. Are there any nice compromises out there? Thanks... we have two kids under 13... we homeschool, so schools aren't important. But I'd the kids to be around other kids. THanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 09:58 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times
Cherokee county and Forsyth county are a good compromises. In these two north metro counties, you can be anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes from Atlanta (depending on where you live) and still be in a mountainous environment. They're also very fast growing, so neighbors and retail won't be a problem either.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:19 AM

138 posts, read 622,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
Cherokee county and Forsyth county are a good compromises. In these two north metro counties, you can be anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes from Atlanta (depending on where you live) and still be in a mountainous environment. They're also very fast growing, so neighbors and retail won't be a problem either.
I was going to suggest Cherokee as well.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,627 times
I suggest Riverside.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Do you like touristy stuff?

Dahlonega (Duh-lawn-eh-gah) is about 70 miles North of Atlanta in the mountains. Beautiful small 1800s town that has a town square that's filled with artist and craft galleries, a few restaurants, gold museum, etc. Gets LOTS of tourists but it's not crazy. The outlying areas have the usual chain restaurants and stuff like Walmart. If you drive south a few miles there's a large outlet mall (North Ga. Premium Outlets) and more. Some parts of it can be a little redneckyish, but more and more people from the city are moving out there so you're less likely to see replays of Deliverance there now.

Roughly 50 minutes South of Dahlonega is Alpharetta, a rapidly growing and one of the nicer suburbs of Atlanta (and yes, "civilization"), and Northpoint Mall. From there you can go down Ga400 to Atlanta, etc. Traffic is very bad during rush hours on that road the closer you get to the city, though, so I wouldn't recommend it as a daily commute route.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:53 PM

90 posts, read 335,891 times
Default Dahlonega

Dahlonega sounds like my kind of town. We'll have to take a look. Thanks, K

Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Do you like touristy stuff?

Dahlonega (Duh-lawn-eh-gah) is about 70 miles North of Atlanta in the mountains. Beautiful small 1800s town that has a town square that's filled with artist and craft galleries, a few restaurants, gold museum, etc. Gets LOTS of tourists but it's not crazy. The outlying areas have the usual chain restaurants and stuff like Walmart. If you drive south a few miles there's a large outlet mall (North Ga. Premium Outlets) and more. Some parts of it can be a little redneckyish, but more and more people from the city are moving out there so you're less likely to see replays of Deliverance there now.

Roughly 50 minutes South of Dahlonega is Alpharetta, a rapidly growing and one of the nicer suburbs of Atlanta (and yes, "civilization"), and Northpoint Mall. From there you can go down Ga400 to Atlanta, etc. Traffic is very bad during rush hours on that road the closer you get to the city, though, so I wouldn't recommend it as a daily commute route.
And if you're downtown, you can eat at the Smith house! Was there last week - yummmmm!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 AM

90 posts, read 297,120 times
I just moved to Dahlonega a little over three weeks ago and LOVE IT. I live in a nice neighborhood with plenty of people and can drive to any of the larger cities like Gainesville, Alpharetta, Cumming etc in under 30 minutes.
Speaking of food.........I have found no bad food here. The Smith House is great.......the little Irish pub down the street is also really yummy.
All in all, it's a great place and I don't regret one second of this move.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:29 AM

10 posts, read 24,524 times
miper ,

where did you move from? which neighborhood are you in ? area ? dawsonville or lumpkin?

me , florida -lumpkin off 136 and 9 . we also love it here!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:43 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
If you really want to be in the mountains of North Georgia, but also want to be near a small town, check out Clayton. It has a nice little downtown and is the county seat for Rabun County. It also has a Walmart, Home Depot, Ingles, good schools, good restaurants, hospital, drive in theater, is near Lake Burton, Lake Rabun the Chatooga River, the Bartrum Trail, Black Rock Mountain, and probably a bunch of other recreational areas I can't recall.

You could live right in town and be right next to your neighbors if you like, or just a mile or two outside of downtown you could have some acerage in a valley or live up on on a mountain - still plenty of neighbors around. It is not near a big city - about 1.5 hour drive from Atlanta.

Blairsville and Hiawassee are nice also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia