Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:21 AM

2 posts, read 10,622 times

Advertisements

I am looking to develop a 55+ community in NW georgia-I would like to know what 55+ adults are looking for in such a deveolpment and what their priorities are in choosing such a development
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 01:13 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,582 times
My parents considered and rejected the +55 community lifestyle, but I can share some of their criteria.

Gated entry (they travel frequently and want that extra bit of security).

A 3 bedroom, one-level home, or any plan that has a master BR/BA and one guest B/R on the main level.

Community center with a pool (they are neutral on group activity programs, though).

Good shopping nearby – not just a collection of little shops, but a full-sized grocery store (Publix or Kroger), pharmacy, dry cleaner, post office.

My mom also requires a decent mall within an hour’s drive (my dad couldn’t care less about malls, but golf is mandatory).

And (a BIGGIE) their new residence must be within a 20 minute drive of a good hospital, not just a small clinic.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:12 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
My husband and I are curently living in AZ but are looking for retirement in other states in the near future. The things that we are looking for would be walking trails, not crazy about pools or clubhouse activities. Golf is not a desire either. Low HOA fees (we are trying to retire). 2 beds 2 baths are enough for us. You might check out www.trilogy.com. Shea Homes does an awesome 55 community. Too posh for us but the architecture in the Peoria location is worth looking at. Hope to see your development in an ad someday.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 PM

108 posts, read 692,764 times
In Wednesday’s Valdosta Daily Times newspaper they had a story of a new 55 + community in South Georgia. It is projected to have over 900 homes. The article will give you insight as to the direction these communities are going.

http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/

Old 04-01-2007, 12:50 PM

18 posts, read 41,806 times
Default 55+ north georgia

I currently live in a 55+ community in southeast Florida. I have a daughter in Cherokee County, and one in the midwest. I am looking for a gated community with walking trails and bike paths. A lake/nature area would be nice. I have no interest in golf courses or clubhouses, but I suspect that most gated communities have clubhouses. I want a 3-4 bedroom home with a big kitchen. If you build a 55+ community, please let me know. I really want to get out of southeast Florida and the sooner, the better.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,977 times
we live in a small gated community in a beautiful valley in ellijay (in north georgia). although the trails are not specifically for walking and biking, there are plenty of places to do this nearby. we are also connected to national forest.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:01 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contentingeorgia View Post
we live in a small gated community in a beautiful valley in ellijay (in north georgia). although the trails are not specifically for walking and biking, there are plenty of places to do this nearby. we are also connected to national forest.
do you mind telling us the name of the community? The national forest?

Old 04-01-2007, 10:54 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,477 times
For a gated community considering both location of N.GA mountains and Mother's requests I would suggest:

Plenty of outside activies the trails and lakes etc. are great but many of the large city residents wanting to go to areas like this still like to have some of the convienence of large city living through special events. My Mom wants to be able to garden and paint and would appreciate classes or other such social events to encourage resident to resident communication. Nothing like bingo she says, "I'm old, not dead"

She also wants the convience of a clubhouse found at most golf courses, to eat at so that when feeling lazy she can still eat at home without having to go to town or clean up. She like many 55+ people I have met really don't care that much for golfing anymore and if they do, they would go somewhere other than the back yard.

A small or mini 50's style downtown area at entrance to gated community for the ease of shopping for small items, seeing movies or other cultural events and of course the orginal thing that made downtown downtown the pharmacy and hardware store side by side, a gas station and a deli/bakery. Shouldn't be inside community so the businesses can get outside support but they don't want them to have long hours. A typical 6am-6pm schedule is fine by most of them, except for the cultural events; which, she at least still wants to end no later than 10pm.

She has mixed feelings about how large she wants her yard to be, but usually wants it big enough for a small garden (small to her is a 25X50) and room for a large dog. So I would reccommend offering a mix of both extremely small yards for those who hate to do it and medium sized for those who love it. 1-5acres is great for those who enjoy thier animals just as much as their privacy.

The house itself she loves the old country homes with hardwood floors, large rooms and tin roofs. Most of my other 55+ friends like this too but would it to be smaller than my Mom. She still wants about 2500 sq ft and most others want 1500 - 1800. All seem to want 2 - 4 bedrooms no less than 2 baths and enjoy having a true brick home, not just a facade. The true animal, country lovers, like Mom, want the country appeal or log homes. Others just want easy maintainence for thier long vacation & travel plans. I think everyone wants the abilty to have services rendered for maintainence for just whenever without the hassel of looking for it 55+ or not but especailly those have the ability to leave for extended periods of time and should be some what optional as HOA dues as long certain requirements for appearence can still be met.

Oddly enough, I have found that most of 55+ friends want either a detached garage or at least a breezeway to separate it. Large porches or decks, swings, rockers, gazebos or similar, and nice covered and screened area for a grill.

Many of the 55+ want the many bedrooms for things such as an office, sewing room, etc. a room for thier hobbies and at least one for quests. The bathroom and kitchen should be ready to go with nothing ever needing to be added. All be should be built in and high quality as well.

Of course many may disagree with this but it is just what I hear from family, friends, and my real estate customers I had and have remained in contact with since leaving the business. Hope this helps and please keep me up to date, I am looking for both my mother and father homes outside of immediate ATL area. Mom wants mountains, Dad wants the beach. Good thing thier divorced. LOL I want both so I going back to either Rome, my equine farm in Forsyth or on the Satilla River somewhere between Brunswick and Kingland if I can find a large enough parcel with river frontage, preferably on both sides of river and has easy access to I-95. 200-500 acres would be perfect.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:03 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,477 times
Just a note to the above. Most want prices to reflect exactly what thet get. Low 100's for the smaller homes w/ no yard and upwards of 300K for top of line larger homes.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:39 PM

81 posts, read 350,354 times
Great....I hope you consider developing it around Athens, GA, we only have a few and demand is HIGH!
My buyers are looking for 1 story 1500sf to 2000 sf, low maintenance exteriors & landscaping, wide doors throughout, lowered vanities and walk in showers, premium fixture, the list could go on for miles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia