U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Leaving California choosing between Douglasville or Tyrone, want 2-4 acre parcel for home and business, good schools a must, want close proximity to Atlanta

Old 11-11-2007, 02:10 PM

9 posts, read 18,287 times

Advertisements

Hello I posted earlier about leaving California. After much reading on this forum I have narrowed it down to Two towns, Douglasville or Tyrone. I'm looking for a 2-4 acre parcel with a newer home for my business and family. Great schools are a must and somewhat of a close proxmity to Atlanta. Any suggestions from the locals would be much appreciated. One last note if I am overlooking some one thing about either town that may not be favorable, then what town would be ideal for someone with my needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 11,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IREWIRE View Post
Hello I posted earlier about leaving California. After much reading on this forum I have narrowed it down to Two towns, Douglasville or Tyrone. I'm looking for a 2-4 acre parcel with a newer home for my business and family. Great schools are a must and somewhat of a close proxmity to Atlanta. Any suggestions from the locals would be much appreciated. One last note if I am overlooking some one thing about either town that may not be favorable, then what town would be ideal for someone with my needs?
Douglasville is very intergrated fun and peaceful. It's a skip away from ATL

Old 11-14-2007, 05:22 AM

744 posts, read 2,203,644 times
If I were picking between the two ,although I like Douglas county and Douglasville a lot, I 'd have to vote for Tyrone. It is a quaint older town with a lot of newer businesses coming in . It is a beautiful area with a diverse population and the Fayette County school system is top ranked.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:17 PM

21 posts, read 123,706 times
I can speak with authority on both towns. My brother lives in Douglasville and I live a long baseball throw away from Tyrone.

The biggest difference is schools. Anectdotally, it appears that Douglass county does not put a premium on education, they seem to want to do the bare minimum funding-wise insofar as education goes. Property taxes are correspondingly lower.

Fayette county has excellent schools, some of the best in the Georgia school system. Two of the five high schools in Georgia make the Governor's honor roll in schools year after year (McIntosh and Starr's Mill, both in central Fayette county). Another new school, Whitewater HS, is an "up and comer" and should join these two in a few years.

Tyrone, however, sends their students to Sandy Creek High School. Sandy Creek (and it's "feeder" school, Flat Rock Middle School) are the "also-rans" of the county. Both lead Fayette county in disciplinary actions against students.

If you are somehow able to move just two miles east of Tyrone you will be in the McIntosh HS district. McIntosh is a very highly regarded school and it's feeder school (Booth Middle School) is hands-down the best science school in the state (they compete in national science competitions and have won nat. championships I believe 3 times in the last 10 years). There are a LOT of overachieving students in this district. As my realtor once said, in Peachtree City (McIntosh/Booth) you pay a bit more for your house but you essentially get your kids a private school quality education for free.

Tyrone is in the midst of "growing pains". The good-ole-boy mayor who would pave anything for a price was booted out last month. They have a lot of piecemeal development going on there, and the police department is notorious for running speed traps. An unusual city, to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or