Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 PM

28 posts, read 54,981 times

Advertisements

I lived in Europe for the last 17 years but recently moved back to the US and settled in Atlanta. I'm amazed at the stupidity of the drivers here (and everywhere in the US). It can be POURING RAIN and 80% of the drivers are running without their lights on. And what's more amazing is that it's THE LAW here to turn your lights on when raining.

They don't know how to use their turn signals. They LOVE their fog lights and have no clue what they're designed for. Then there are the yuppies in their Mercedes and BMWs running their rear fog lights not even knowing (1) that they're there or (2) what they're there for.

Learn about your vehicle please. Fog lights are for FOG and are offensive when burning on a clear night. Toyota trucks are the worse. They're not aimed properly and shine right in driver's eyes.

HEADLIGHTS ON WHEN RAINING!! (I wish I could say this in Spanish!)

Use your turn signal. Use them when turning; use them when merging; use them when changing lanes.

Personally, I think getting a driver's license should be more privilege than right. In Europe you pay dearly for the privilege - in Germany close to $1,000 when you combine mandatory driver's education classes. Here in the US, your mom or dad can teach you. How good is that - learning all their bad habits??

Ok, my rant is over. I hope that at least one person sees this and understands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:04 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Welcome to GA.

//www.city-data.com/forum/georg...ransplant.html

Old 08-18-2013, 09:46 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by praguer56 View Post
I lived in Europe for the last 17 years but recently moved back to the US and settled in Atlanta. I'm amazed at the stupidity of the drivers here (and everywhere in the US). It can be POURING RAIN and 80% of the drivers are running without their lights on. And what's more amazing is that it's THE LAW here to turn your lights on when raining.

They don't know how to use their turn signals. They LOVE their fog lights and have no clue what they're designed for. Then there are the yuppies in their Mercedes and BMWs running their rear fog lights not even knowing (1) that they're there or (2) what they're there for.

Learn about your vehicle please. Fog lights are for FOG and are offensive when burning on a clear night. Toyota trucks are the worse. They're not aimed properly and shine right in driver's eyes.

HEADLIGHTS ON WHEN RAINING!! (I wish I could say this in Spanish!)

Use your turn signal. Use them when turning; use them when merging; use them when changing lanes.

Personally, I think getting a driver's license should be more privilege than right. In Europe you pay dearly for the privilege - in Germany close to $1,000 when you combine mandatory driver's education classes. Here in the US, your mom or dad can teach you. How good is that - learning all their bad habits??

Ok, my rant is over. I hope that at least one person sees this and understands.
Bravo! Couldn't have said it better myself! 100% agree with all of this.

I think the majority of Americans need to study European drivers and truly understand the horrible mistakes we're making!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
And you've nailed the main reason with this. America is the land of entitlement, driving is only one small (but highly visible) part of it. Welcome and enjoy...

Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Yes, and all of these problems magically disappear when you cross the state line into SC,NC,TN,AL and FL. It's an absolute phenomenon.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Who said it was ONLY GA drivers? No one as far as I can read. Stop inferring things that aren't there, you'll get yourself into trouble with those kinds of assumptions.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:02 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Bravo! Couldn't have said it better myself! 100% agree with all of this.

I think the majority of Americans need to study European drivers and truly understand the horrible mistakes we're making!
But, many of them thar Uro-peeans drive on da wrong side of da road!!!!!

Old 08-19-2013, 11:45 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
But, many of them thar Uro-peeans drive on da wrong side of da road!!!!!
and so do the Japanese. What's that got to do with the cost of tea in China?

Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,598 times
Quote:
The one nit I'll pick with the original post is the bit about fog lights. I used to think the same way until I moved to the sticks and owned a car that came with fog lights. They really do help illuminate not just what is right in front of the car on the ground, but what is lurking at the edge of the road; possum, deer, tire treads, motorists that ran out of gas, etc. Now, its a must-have option when I have to car shop.

I kind of get why its a grievance to some, but I recommend trying them out, especially if you drive a small or mid-size car.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
We need to stop talk about Europe like it is one big homogenous culture.

Drivers in northern Europe are radically different than drivers in southern Europe.

Some of the scariest rides of my life were in taxis in Greece and Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia