Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 20,263 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband accepted a transfer with his job and we will be relocating to GA in May 2014! His job is located in PTC and after years and years of horrific commutes here in Minneapolis, he would like to be within 15-20 min of his job. I work at home so my "commute" is negligible. We've been doing a lot of research and we've already settled on an apartment complex in Newnan for the first year. This way we can acclimate to the area before purchasing a home.

In my research it seems you can get a slighter bigger/newer/more updated home just outside of PTC for less cost than within PTC, does this seem correct? Crime seems to be pretty low in PTC and it's immediate surrounding areas?

We are in our early 30's, no kids, no plans on kids. Will I be bored to tears there? We currently live outside the metro area of Minneapolis. It appears to be about as removed from downtown Minneapolis as PTC is from downtown Atlanta. My biggest concern is feeling so removed from the action. It's my #1 complaint with where we live now and I fear it's going to be the same down there. Great restaurants and a plethora of shopping are 30min+ from where we currently live. We're kind of over the bar/club scene, would prefer quiet neighborhoods to live in but we still like to eat a good (non-chain) restaurants, hit up comedy clubs, movies, stay in hotels downtown and walk the city (is downtown ATL walkable?), go to sporting events, I like to SHOP! I've already looked up many of my favorite stores and many, many appear to be in North ATL

How removed from the action will I feel? Can anyone tell me great things about living in the area for an early 30 with no kids? The houses look beautiful and are well within our budget, the area looks beautiful, it appears to have all the "must have" shopping within the area (grocery, my beloved Target etc). I'm most definitely looking forward to mild winters and exploring the south.

Am I going to fit in!?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
If your husband wants to be within 15-20 minutes of his job in PTC, you two had better stick to looking around within PTC and no further away than Tyrone or Senoia.

The bad thing is that you two will pretty much be moving into the same situation in Georgia with virtually all of the action in the city being about 45 minutes away in Atlanta as PTC is pretty much just a NICE, quiet suburb that is well-known for its network of paths that enables people to get around the city without driving with only the use of a golf cart.

The good thing is that your husband will be only a few minutes away from work, which is a short-and-sweet rush hour commute that most car-addled Metro Atlantans would kill for, particularly on the Northside where rush hour traffic is infinitely worse.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:30 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,164 times
Your going to have to make a decision, close commute or near the action. PTC/Newnan are nice places to live but not near "the action."

Any reason you choose apt in Newnan for first year vs. apt. in PTC?

Yes, you can get newer/cheaper house outside of PTC. In PTC, you pay more to access the trails, more attractive landscape. Newnan is typical suburb with lots of signage, PTC has very strict rules on signage.

Crime is low in the area, same with Newnan, Senoia, etc...

Depending on where in Newnan and where his employment is, his commute could be longer than 15-20 minutes, if traveling at peak times.

HTH!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
If your husband wants to be within 15-20 minutes of his job in PTC, you two had better stick to looking around within PTC and no further away than Tyrone or Senoia.

The bad thing is that you two will pretty much be moving into the same situation in Georgia with virtually all of the action in the city being about 45 minutes away in Atlanta as PTC is pretty much just a NICE, quiet suburb that is well-known for its network of paths that enables people to get around the city without driving with only the use of a golf cart.

The good thing is that your husband will be only a few minutes away from work, which is a short-and-sweet rush hour commute that most car-addled Metro Atlantans would kill for, particularly on the Northside where rush hour traffic is infinitely worse.
Hmmm ok. That's kind of what I thought. Thank you!

The apartment complex we've looked at is in Newnan but east of 85 and about 13 miles from his work in PTC. He'll be working in the Southern end in what appears to be an industrial/office park area.

If he has to drive 25 min or 30 min it wouldn't be the end of the world after coming from an hour+ here on non-snow days but 15 to 20 would be more ideal.

ETA: He doesn't work the traditional 9-5 so I'm not sure how much "rush hour" he'd be in anyway.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
Your going to have to make a decision, close commute or near the action. PTC/Newnan are nice places to live but not near "the action."

Any reason you choose apt in Newnan for first year vs. apt. in PTC?

Yes, you can get newer/cheaper house outside of PTC. In PTC, you pay more to access the trails, more attractive landscape. Newnan is typical suburb with lots of signage, PTC has very strict rules on signage.

Crime is low in the area, same with Newnan, Senoia, etc...

Depending on where in Newnan and where his employment is, his commute could be longer than 15-20 minutes, if traveling at peak times.

HTH!
Unfortunately for me we agreed to keep his commute short if he put in for the transfer so we'll definitely end up residing in that general area.

We chose the apartment we did because we really like the floor plans, amenities and price! Apartments are cheap down there compared to what we're used to and our current mortgage! It's about 13 miles from his work. Some of the PTC apartments are nice too but since we're going to be an apartment for awhile we want to save up as much as possible. I'm used to owning a home and I'd rather spend less on an apartment and use the difference to paint and decorate my new house! We haven't signed a lease or anything. We're planning a weekend down there in March to tour the apartments again, possibly look at others and hopefully sign before flying back home.

He does not work traditional M-F 9-5 hours so hopefully that'll work in his favor if we're a little further out?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
So you have already been to the area and seen what it's like? Just curious ...

Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
So you have already been to the area and seen what it's like? Just curious ...
I have not. My husband has a couple times and I made him take tons of pictures and videos but that only shows so much. You don't get the feel of it via photos.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:41 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,164 times
Agreed! I would want to save $$$ to decorate new home too!

When you come in March, make sure you make the drive at the times he will be commuting.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:47 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP2ATL View Post
Hmmm ok. That's kind of what I thought. Thank you!

The apartment complex we've looked at is in Newnan but east of 85 and about 13 miles from his work in PTC. He'll be working in the Southern end in what appears to be an industrial/office park area.

If he has to drive 25 min or 30 min it wouldn't be the end of the world after coming from an hour+ here on non-snow days but 15 to 20 would be more ideal.

ETA: He doesn't work the traditional 9-5 so I'm not sure how much "rush hour" he'd be in anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP2ATL View Post
Unfortunately for me we agreed to keep his commute short if he put in for the transfer so we'll definitely end up residing in that general area.

We chose the apartment we did because we really like the floor plans, amenities and price! Apartments are cheap down there compared to what we're used to and our current mortgage! It's about 13 miles from his work. Some of the PTC apartments are nice too but since we're going to be an apartment for awhile we want to save up as much as possible. I'm used to owning a home and I'd rather spend less on an apartment and use the difference to paint and decorate my new house! We haven't signed a lease or anything. We're planning a weekend down there in March to tour the apartments again, possibly look at others and hopefully sign before flying back home.

He does not work traditional M-F 9-5 hours so hopefully that'll work in his favor if we're a little further out?
Other than the congestion that pops up around the interchange at I-85 and GA Hwy 34 at rush hour, Newnan is virtually a completely painless commute to and from Peachtree City.

The downside is that there is not really that much to do in the way of entertainment and socializing as you will be about 45 minutes away from where the action is in Atlanta.

The upside is that your husband will have the kind of short-and-sweet commute that most Metro Atlantans would kill for as he will only be about 20-25 minutes away from his job in Peachtree City.

Some more upside is that there is a nice shopping area on the west side of I-85 called Ashley Park (an open-air lifestyle center shopping concept) that you should like being near in addition to all of the other shopping options that exist around that interchange at I-85 and GA 34.

Another good thing is that it is basically a straight shot into Atlanta on I-85 Northbound from where you will be staying in Newnan, so you will have relatively easy access to Atlanta and can be in town with access to all of the shopping, entertainment, bars, etc in about 45 minutes or so when it is not rush hour.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:07 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Other than the congestion that pops up around the interchange at I-85 and GA Hwy 34 at rush hour, Newnan is virtually a completely painless commute to and from Peachtree City.

The downside is that there is not really that much to do in the way of entertainment and socializing as you will be about 45 minutes away from where the action is in Atlanta.

The upside is that your husband will have the kind of short-and-sweet commute that most Metro Atlantans would kill for as he will only be about 20-25 minutes away from his job in Peachtree City.

Some more upside is that there is a nice shopping area on the west side of I-85 called Ashley Park (an open-air lifestyle center shopping concept) that you should like being near in addition to all of the other shopping options that exist around that interchange at I-85 and GA 34.

Another good thing is that it is basically a straight shot into Atlanta on I-85 Northbound from where you will be staying in Newnan, so you will have relatively easy access to Atlanta and can be in town with access to all of the shopping, entertainment, bars, etc in about 45 minutes or so when it is not rush hour.
^^^^ NOT QUITE B2R! The congestion between Peachtree City and Coweta County is quite heavy and well-documented. MANY residents of east Coweta County (Sharpsburg, Senoia, etc) work and shop in Peachtree City, and unfortunately there's only one main route linking the two -- Georgia Hwy 74 across Line Creek. Even after widening the road a few years back the traffic backups haven't gotten much better. Some times of day, it's worse!

Much of this is because of the heavy commercial development that has occurred in the West Village (Wilksmore) area of Peachtree City, from Hwy 54 to Line Creek -- PEACHTREE CITY'S BIGGEST MISTAKE! Fortunately, work is under way to "fix" the rush-hour problem by better synchronization of the ridiculous number of traffic lights along that corridor.

I think the OP and her husband are wise to rent in Newnan first, because the nicer apartment communities in PTC are quite expensive, and the one or two that are in fact "affordable" aren't very nice (one of the anomalies of PTC is that it does have some rough areas hidden among all that green! LOL!) Ultimately, though, I think the OP will want to purchase a home in PTC and will find the community offers everything they could possibly want, except for Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, or Trader Joe's. But the latter will probably come there sooner rather than later. As for upscale shopping, there's some very nice boutique shops (chains and locals) in PTC and Newnan has a large Dillard's as well.

Here's a little more on the PTC traffic situation:

http://www.thecitizen.com/articles/1...l-fix%E2%80%99
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia