U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 15,409 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My name is Rachel. I am going to be 28 in December. I am a Canadian Citizen.
My mother did some nursing in Sherman TX, back in the late 70's. She met my father there. He was a cat-walker.
He went by many names - LeRoy, Rock, Red - but his name is Jerome (Gerome) White (Whyte?). He would be in his late 50's now.
He was from Doerun GA. His family was religious, and his father was a Preacher or Minister. He had intended to return home someday and become a lawyer - or a bootlegger...
He was wounded in the Vietnam War...
He was arrested for moon-ing a union? and put on probation...
He had red, curly hair and freckles...

I would really like to be able to wish him a Merry Christmas - finding him would be the biggest Christmas gift POSSIBLE!

I want to satisfy a lifetime of wondering.

Can you help me find him?

Thanks,
Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 PM

Default More info...

He also worked on Jimmy Carter's Peanut Farm in Plains GA

Old 11-22-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Update

He didn't moon a union - funny how you mix up things that you're told when you are young.
He was making moonshine.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:36 AM

He met Burt Reynolds during the making of Smokey and the Bandit - so that places him in a different county...

Old 11-23-2007, 10:25 PM

177 posts, read 913,934 times
Rachel,

I'm not familiar with the town you mention that your father is from (but then I'm not from Georgia).

Perhaps you could check with the "headquarters" of some of the Veterans organizations: VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars), American Legion...also there is some service organization I think for Disabled Vets. There are quite a few veterans organizations.

If he is a member of one of those organizations then the organization itself might have a way for you to send a letter to them which could be forwarded to him. It is possible, but I doubt that they'd give out his address for privacy reasons.

You might also check with the American Red Cross. Since you say he was wounded in Vietnam, he might be getting treatment at a Veterans Hospital. In that case maybe the Veterans Administration (look under U.S. Government for a phone number for this agency) or the American Red Cross might be able to get a letter to him. The Red Cross helps people find their family members serving in the military, I'm not sure if they help with vets. The Red Cross might be your best bet. The Veterans Administration might have a method for you to send a letter, but I have to warn you that in some places the VA used to be thousands and thousands of documents behind in their filing (due to lack of staff), so that might take a long while if they have a method,.

Do you know your father's religion? If you don't you might try to call the ministers at both the Baptist and Methodist churches in his town (presuming that the town has these two churches). Maybe one of the ministers might know his family or even where he is located and they could get a letter to your dad and then it would be up to him to reply. You could send your phone number. If I were in your situation, I'd ask to speak directly to one of the ministers.

Good luck in your search,
zebbie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia