U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,909 times

Advertisements

i'm telling ya...
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I'm surprised "the war" hasn't begun yet over that post. LOL... people must be sleeping in this weekend. ;-) Good luck... once Billy Joe Bob and Darla Sue Mae read that, there's gonna be some riled up folks puttin' together a hootenannie (or whatever) to get rid of you.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 95,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
In the past few years, there seems to be a mass exodus of folks moving from NY, NJ, CT, MA and going down south. Why? Mostly because of the high cost of living in the north. I am from NYC, lived in Florida in 2004-2005 and now in Atlanta. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would love to go back home to NYC. It is so different down here, you would not imagine. Visiting for a week will not give you any real insight as to what it's really like. Don't get wide eyed looking at new homes that you could never afford in the north. There's a reason why the cost of living is more expensive in the north. It's just better to live up there. Yeah i've done the whole working two jobs just to get by in NY and I thought I was sick and tired of the rat race. But guess what? I'd do it all over again. And don't think for a minute that you will escape the rat race. You won't. You'll just be living in a bigger house in the middle of nowhere in the suburbs which are lifeless and you'll be wishing every single day that you could go back home.
The only thing better about Atlanta than the north is the weather (can't say the same about Florida). Even so, I still miss the snow. And to think that I used to complain about winters. Christmas is just not the same in the South.
I even got my real estate license in GA and I see so many people relocating here and I feel sorry for them because I know that most likely within the first year, they are going to hate living here. I'd rather live in a shoebox in NYC than a mansion in the South. And you won't even get a mansion but you'll feel like you hit the lottery when you go visit the new construction homesites. Think about it before you move.
Reading your comment about NY, I feel so sorry for you. why don't you go back. I lived in NY all my life and have moved to Atlanta 7 years. I like it here because I have no choice but to stay. It took me two years to get over NY but it can be done. I'll always love NY but my lifestyle has changed since I've moved to Georgia. I would only go back if I was a millionnaire.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM

89 posts, read 97,123 times
Heck Im doing just the opposite im thinking about moving to a small farming town in New York somewhere. Upstate New York as far from that awful mess they call New York city which is actuall more in New Jersey then anywhere else. Maybe New Jersey will buy it and New York can get rid of its bad rep as a bunch of rude fast talking YANKEES.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:02 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,510,654 times
Quote:
I'd rather live in a shoebox in NYC than a mansion in the South.
This struck a nerve with me. I must be your polar opposite. I've visited New York City a number of times, and Lord, I don't see how you people live in that place! It smells like garbage and exhaust; people live in old ratty buildings built who knows when; everything looks dirty and old; there are no trees but if you're lucky you get a 2'x2' piece of grass growing next to your front door; its loud and noisey 24-7; other than work, there's nothing to do there for men unless you like disco dancing, boozing, and drugs, or some "activity" that requires you to sit on your butt and watch people prance around; people talk 100mph and say absolutely NOTHING of any interest; they think you are some redneck hillbilly just because you own firearms - and some devil-demon if you hunt.

Well, I've allways said that I'd rather live in a mobile home on an acre of land in the Florida panhandle than live in a luxuary appartment in Trump Towers, NYC.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:08 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,861,640 times
LOL... oh wow that is some impression you got there Prichard!

I grew up in small town in Texas. I've lived in medium size towns and big metro areas too. I LOVE NYC! It's exciting! But I don't know about living there. I have a friend from Queens and love the area -- Sicilian bakery and the mafia guys all make sure the single women are safe on the streets. And most everyone I met was very nice too -- I guess I'm just different in that I love traveling, meeting new people, learning about new cultures etc etc. So everything is an adventure for me. I have met rude people in most places too but the majority of time I have met really nice people most places.

Worst experience I ever had was in Jackson, MS where two drunk as hell rednecks started singing a very racist song at the top of their lungs at a gas station -- and everyone black and white and whatever just rolled their eyes. I personally wanted to sock the two young men for their racism and crassnes myself. And I did get into argument with a NYC cop one time too...LOL.... but after I told him I needed help and I was looking for it from him he got real nice and apologized for being a smart aleck.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:44 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,510,654 times
I like traveling and adventure as too. Just been to NYC enough times to not like it there too much. For the most part, I just find it really boring - I like physical outdoor activities, and NYC just doesn't have much to offer in that regard. When I was single, I could never figure out how to meet women in that city either, and I've never been very shy or found it difficult to meet people - just couldn't figure out the place, I guess.

Regarding Jackson Mississippi - I've only been there once, but have to agree, I didn't like that city at all. I recall riding into town on my motorcycle at about 6:00 pm on a weekday and the city seemed desolate. The entire city gave me the creeps, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. The only other town that ever gave me the creeps even more than Jackson Mississippi was Witchata Falls, Texas. That place seemed like a ghost town that wan't really a ghost town - like you knew you were being watched but you couldn't see anyone on the streets. Well, someone was watching me there, because when I parked my motorcycle next to my motel room, someone had stolen all of my footpegs that night. Cheap footpegs, too - don't know what anyone wanted them for, but it sure made it hard to ride until I could buy some replacements.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 AM

104 posts, read 489,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaryl2002 View Post
Life in a small southern town stinks. To anyone who is considering moving from a large city to a small Georgia town please read this post first. I live in one of those South Georgia town just across the Florida border. Listed below is what to expect from the Georgia lifestyle.

First, when it comes to the Arts, in my town this week’s exhibit is Ms Taylor’s 3rd grade Christmas pictures plastered on the windows at McDonalds. The First graders recent play “It’s Tough to be a Bug” is a total embarrassment to anyone accustom to a Broadway production. Sports are you kidding. Little league baseball in the summer and Friday night high school football in the fall, try comparing that to the major league.

Dinning out is the pits. The local BBQ joint cooks their hog in an open pit out back. You can’t even enjoy your meal because people always come up and want to know “how ya’ll doing” and “Haven’t seen you in a while”. Once a neighbor spotted our table and came over and asked if I’ll get his mail and paper because he was going out of town for a few days. How inconsiderate is that.

Oh well! Tomorrow morning like most every weekday mornings I will grab my cup of Joe and the morning paper and connect with my wife and two year old son . We’ll have breakfast on the patio under a large oak tree draped in moss. Then I’ll walk 3 blocks on brick covered streets to my little office on the second floor above the local drugstore. There I will correspond with my counterparts in many large cities and hear the excitement in their voices as they bestow the virtues of a fast paced stressed lifestyle in the big city.

I am so deprived. Get me out of here!
Well said! Am I the only one who appreciated this reply and got what you were saying? This was the best reply on this thread!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 PM

200 posts, read 931,460 times
Default In Cumming

I have read al your posts and will heed all the warnings.

I just moved to Cumming (North Forsyth) December 1st, I am also Jewish.

I haven't really met anyone but some southern bells in the neighborhood. No loud mouth Jersey girls like myself.

I hope it is not as bad as you all say.....

Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 AM

17 posts, read 130,516 times
Quote:
In the past few years, there seems to be a mass exodus of folks moving from NY, NJ, CT, MA and going down south. Why? Mostly because of the high cost of living in the north. I am from NYC, lived in Florida in 2004-2005 and now in Atlanta. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would love to go back home to NYC. It is so different down here, you would not imagine. Visiting for a week will not give you any real insight as to what it's really like. Don't get wide eyed looking at new homes that you could never afford in the north. There's a reason why the cost of living is more expensive in the north. It's just better to live up there. Yeah i've done the whole working two jobs just to get by in NY and I thought I was sick and tired of the rat race. But guess what? I'd do it all over again. And don't think for a minute that you will escape the rat race. You won't. You'll just be living in a bigger house in the middle of nowhere in the suburbs which are lifeless and you'll be wishing every single day that you could go back home.
The only thing better about Atlanta than the north is the weather (can't say the same about Florida). Even so, I still miss the snow. And to think that I used to complain about winters. Christmas is just not the same in the South.
I even got my real estate license in GA and I see so many people relocating here and I feel sorry for them because I know that most likely within the first year, they are going to hate living here. I'd rather live in a shoebox in NYC than a mansion in the South. And you won't even get a mansion but you'll feel like you hit the lottery when you go visit the new construction homesites. Think about it before you move.
Atlanta is not the South.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:35 AM

17 posts, read 130,516 times
Quote:
Have you ever heard of Southerners retiring to "up North" somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia