U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:49 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,433,247 times

Advertisements

ok ignore the part where my husband thought we were close to roswell, I did research and the person that told him didn't know what they were talking about
karla

Old 10-23-2006, 03:37 PM

29 posts, read 192,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
I think had I moved directly to Atlanta from NJ is would of been even more of an adjustment. Believe me I was quite the "jersery girl" when I moved to Jax, I was in my early 30's and single I couldn't grasp the fact that people went out at 7pm and would come home just when I was use to going out. It was a rough first 6 months. I would get impaitent waiting in line at the checkout thinking to myself "whats with the whole conversation thing, just pay already"
Well needless to say I slowed down,"mellowed out" and can y'all with the best of them (granted at times it may have a slight jersey flavor.)
and yes I have conversations in the checkout lines
My husband jokes that once we move to Cumming I will probably spend more time looking for good pizza and bagels than worrying about getting the house unpacked. lol a good "jersery girl" knows whats important
From what I can tell there are quite a few of us reloacted Jersey and NY folks
as I think someone suggested maybe we could have a "tips topic section" on where to find good pizza, deli and bagels or yeah and cheese steaks
Once we move in y'all are welomce to our house for a real "yankee" housewarming
Karla
Karla - I would LOVE to get info from & participate in a "tips topic section!" & so much of your post sounded familiar - as in I went through the same type of "withdrawal"

Old 10-24-2006, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 12,425 times
Default Quit whinning

Thank GOD it's not New York or New Jersey. If it's that bad for you in in the south GET OUT!! We welcome evryone here but we don't care how you did it up north.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 AM

I agree if I wanted to keep things "how we did it up north" I would of stayed in the north.
karla

Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 AM

17 posts, read 74,096 times
Default Catholic and living up north!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
Not trying to give you a hard time, but are you talking about Jacksonville or Cumming??? If you're talking about Cumming...WTF??? Diversity? You can't be serious? Cumming is 75% neo-conservative white baptist and 25% illegal-day labor mexican/latinos who speak no englisho...THERE ARE NO CULTURES HERE...OF ANY KIND! Unless Super Wal-Mart and Applebee's is culture...And No you're not welcome here regardless of your religion, people here judge not only by what religion you are, but you can even go to the same church and they cast judgement on you, etc. because you don't 'participate' in the church the way they think you should be. We're Catholic, I don't even tell people that, I'll give the impression we just aren't religious at all before I'll tell them that.
OK, this is what is really freaking me out about moving to northern Atlanta (and is the reason we think we have to stick with the Alpharetta area). Are people in Cumming, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, and further north so biased against those who are NOT Baptist that it truly can cause a problem???? I am no holy roller but am a practicing Catholic and I would hate to put my kids in a situation where they were berated because of it.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:53 PM

39 posts, read 77,984 times
I agree!!! I saw a couple of re-sales and the houses were filthy. WTF were these people thinking about. I just bought a new use for $243K in the Grayson/Lawrenceville area and I bet I can re-sell it in a year or two. First, most of the new homes/subdivisions are around $270K so I wouldn't sell it for that much. Second: minor upgrades (rip out the ****ty bathfitter-shower and replace with tile, tile the bathroom floor, the kitchen floor, add granite countertops ($25sq foot - Builders Surplus),landscape your yard, and always keep you INVESTMENT in Move-In condition. Total cost for this isaround $6K. That's still less then what the new subdivisions are asking.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:31 PM

donkir
after i read that post I called not only our sales person but also my old neighbor
The sale person told me a majority of the people building are reloacting to the area(a bunch are from FLA) and my friend said it is a mixed neighborhood a little of everything. Now in my travels I did go through some very rural areas and maybe this is the areas of which they speak. As I said before the subdivisions I drove through I saw families of white along with other cultures next door to each other
karla

Old 10-26-2006, 10:01 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,121,206 times
I really can appreciate the original post. Given my druthers, I'd move my family back to California in a minute. But we're in Georgia for many good reasons.

Suffice it to say, though, so much of the rest of the US is becoming so "strip-malled" that it's hard to tell the difference in communities any more. Houses look the same, schools look the same, shopping centers and churches look the same. Heck there are plenty of Atlanta neighborhoods these days that could simply be picked up, plopped down in suburban Chicago or Philly, and no one could tell the difference.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,119,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I really can appreciate the original post. Given my druthers, I'd move my family back to California in a minute. But we're in Georgia for many good reasons.

Suffice it to say, though, so much of the rest of the US is becoming so "strip-malled" that it's hard to tell the difference in communities any more. Houses look the same, schools look the same, shopping centers and churches look the same. Heck there are plenty of Atlanta neighborhoods these days that could simply be picked up, plopped down in suburban Chicago or Philly, and no one could tell the difference.
Sadly, you do make a good point about the 'strip-mallification', 'corporatization/wal-martification' of America! But I still belive Atl, GA, the South, take it to a much worse extreme than the North/Midwest/NorthEast!

Old 10-29-2006, 07:25 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,542,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floormerich View Post
Thank GOD it's not New York or New Jersey. If it's that bad for you in in the south GET OUT!! We welcome evryone here but we don't care how you did it up north.

Floor -

If you sift thru many onboard posts, you'll see that not all northerners were/are welcome with open arms upon moving south. Many of us are not trying to turn it into a little *insert northern town here*. Many of us want to fit in, enjoy/take advantage of the local food, slower pace, warmer weather, decreases in traffic, lower cost of living & lower cost of food, in particular. I was one such transplant. I didn't find much kindness in Atlanta or NC. I found judgement, prejudice against "yankees" (a word said with more hatred than any other I've ever heard) & hostility. And, that began with unpacking.

I tire too, of the true complainers who seem to have such an awful sense of dissatisfaction, no matter their situation. It seems unlikely to me that they'd find happiness anywhere they went. One or two have posted in this thread & this board abounds with those who "dislike". I also tire of the southerners who post about being trodden upon/put out by folks who move next door. It's fairly simple. There's an empty house, a family is filling it, end of transaction. Who's building all those strip malls/complexes/houses? I seem to have met an awful lot of well-to-do southern contracters while living in the south.

Part of the problem is lumping all of what is perceived as *one kind* into the same group where preconceived notions & closed minds don't allow the locals to open up to their neighbors. In Boston, I worked with 2 guys - 1 from KY, 1 from MS - who were distressed they couldn't find okra/hominy grits/boiled peanuts/black eyed peas in cans or bisquits/gravy/waffles for breakfast. Sorry, not big sellers here. No one made fun of them, their accents or anything else "southern" about them, although they talked often of missing local things. Imagine how much it's missed when suddenly cut off from things you daily enjoy? It's a huge adjustment. Many northerners miss pizza/Chinese food that's the style we're used to & pancake houses/lots of ethnic food choices. Sorry, not offered there. But, we miss it, too. Does it justify complainers? Not at all, on either side of the Mason-Dixon line. But, don't expect us all to develop an overnight drawl & long for another religion, fried ice-cream & become Falcon's fans. Neither "side" is fair or respectful.

Another thing to understand, which I saw often, is that senses of humor differ greatly via region. I had to lighten up on the sarcasm, as it was perceived as rude down south. For northerners, we understand/are amused by the humor beneath. Fair enough. Humor/words are something that can be changed/adjusted. Chosen religion/culture/race/birth city, are not. Unacceptance/disrespect of the latter, can be changed & unchanged, adds nothing to any community, whether born there or not.

Baltic_Celt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia