U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Triangle, North Carolina
2,819 posts, read 9,535,926 times
Reputation: 1507

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
Great post. You are correct, these days Georgia simply does not fit the stereotypes. As a transplant from the Chicago burbs, I have to disagree with one point. That would be the food. NY has great delis, and I love a good deli. But Chicago has much better pizza, and there is simply no comparison between a Chicago dog and Sibrets (sp?). As luck would have it, the northern transplants have brought great businesses with them. I can drive to Clarksville, 20 minutes away, and get a real Italian beef with cheese and giardineria. Outstanding. You've got us beat for bagels, though, and Wawa coffee!

Now I just have to repond to this one
Chicago has better pizza!!!!!
Lived in Jersey for 10 years and Crystal Lake, IL for 3 worked Schaumburg and downtown Chi'Town.

Sorry, but square crackers with sugar tomato paste does not bode for good pizza. Neither does 20 pounds of butter dough in pan.
Nothing beats a New York or North Jersey slice with the 3 finger fold
Besides all the NY'ker pizza guys have names like Giovanni, Natelli, Soprano. First names like Vinnie, Tony, Angelo.... All the pie guys in Illinois are Joe Smith, Tom Taylor, and Mike Smith That ain't no pizza

Now, as for your Beef.... There is nothing like Portilloooooo's!!!! You have that hands down. Same goes for your Pork Chops!!!

Here ends my lesson of the day

 
Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 AM
 
Location: a warmer place
1,748 posts, read 5,024,364 times
Reputation: 765
I agree wholeheartedly. I have lived all over the country and hands down Northern NJ and New York have the best pizza. (and bagels I might add). Is there anywhere in Atlanta one can get bagels and lox for breakfast?
 
Old 12-17-2006, 07:54 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,129 times
Reputation: 10
Default Poor in Cumming

My family and I amoved here to be close to a relative who has lived here for quite a while. We had no idea we would be looked down upon for being poor. We have an old car and live in a duplex...we get people yelling and laughing at us when we are at stop signs or parking lots. I was able to find a good paying job, but we still live paycheck to paycheck. Also, we actually get along well with the Hispanic neighbors here because they are in the same boat. Cumming is a whole world unto itself.
 
Old 12-17-2006, 09:23 AM
 
Location: South Charlotte
233 posts, read 842,187 times
Reputation: 152
Exclamation Chicago vs. NY Pizza??? Forgetta bout it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
Great post. You are correct, these days Georgia simply does not fit the stereotypes. As a transplant from the Chicago burbs, I have to disagree with one point. That would be the food. NY has great delis, and I love a good deli. But Chicago has much better pizza, and there is simply no comparison between a Chicago dog and Sibrets (sp?). As luck would have it, the northern transplants have brought great businesses with them. I can drive to Clarksville, 20 minutes away, and get a real Italian beef with cheese and giardineria. Outstanding. You've got us beat for bagels, though, and Wawa coffee!

The statement above highlighted in red, is very hurtful and demeaning.- I will now heat up my Papa John's pizza, because this all I have living outside of NY.-
 
Old 12-17-2006, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Triangle, North Carolina
2,819 posts, read 9,535,926 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
The statement above highlighted in red, is very hurtful and demeaning.- I will now heat up my Papa John's pizza, because this all I have living outside of NY.-

Yesterday I bought the 3 for 1 Pizza Hut special.
The kids needed 1st - 3rd base plates for the game

Have to say, was in NJ last week and had a nice "Cheese and Mushroom" Pizza! Was as happy as a wine'o with a fresh bottle of Ripple.
 
Old 12-17-2006, 04:23 PM
 
Location: ATL, formerly MSY
22 posts, read 125,480 times
Reputation: 19
I would gladly trade any perceived "culture" from big cities for a nice house out away from everyone. I lived in the Big Easy for several years.. hated it. Visited NYC a few weeks ago, loved it, but would NEVER consider living in those areas. Big cities suck. Small town living is the only way to go

btw, I have 4 coworkers that are from the NYC/Long Island area. They all say they would never move back and have tried to get their family to move down. Not all people share the opinion of the OP
 
Old 12-17-2006, 07:57 PM
 
108 posts, read 651,987 times
Reputation: 72
Life in a small southern town stinks. To anyone who is considering moving from a large city to a small Georgia town please read this post first. I live in one of those South Georgia town just across the Florida border. Listed below is what to expect from the Georgia lifestyle.

First, when it comes to the Arts, in my town this week’s exhibit is Ms Taylor’s 3rd grade Christmas pictures plastered on the windows at McDonalds. The First graders recent play “It’s Tough to be a Bug” is a total embarrassment to anyone accustom to a Broadway production. Sports are you kidding. Little league baseball in the summer and Friday night high school football in the fall, try comparing that to the major league.

Dinning out is the pits. The local BBQ joint cooks their hog in an open pit out back. You can’t even enjoy your meal because people always come up and want to know “how ya’ll doing” and “Haven’t seen you in a while”. Once a neighbor spotted our table and came over and asked if I’ll get his mail and paper because he was going out of town for a few days. How inconsiderate is that.


Oh well! Tomorrow morning like most every weekday mornings I will grab my cup of Joe and the morning paper and connect with my wife and two year old son . We’ll have breakfast on the patio under a large oak tree draped in moss. Then I’ll walk 3 blocks on brick covered streets to my little office on the second floor above the local drugstore. There I will correspond with my counterparts in many large cities and hear the excitement in their voices as they bestow the virtues of a fast paced stressed lifestyle in the big city.

I am so deprived. Get me out of here!
 
Old 12-18-2006, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Triangle, North Carolina
2,819 posts, read 9,535,926 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaryl2002 View Post
Life in a small southern town stinks. To anyone who is considering moving from a large city to a small Georgia town please read this post first. I live in one of those South Georgia town just across the Florida border. Listed below is what to expect from the Georgia lifestyle.

First, when it comes to the Arts, in my town this week’s exhibit is Ms Taylor’s 3rd grade Christmas pictures plastered on the windows at McDonalds. The First graders recent play “It’s Tough to be a Bug” is a total embarrassment to anyone accustom to a Broadway production. Sports are you kidding. Little league baseball in the summer and Friday night high school football in the fall, try comparing that to the major league.

Dinning out is the pits. The local BBQ joint cooks their hog in an open pit out back. You can’t even enjoy your meal because people always come up and want to know “how ya’ll doing” and “Haven’t seen you in a while”. Once a neighbor spotted our table and came over and asked if I’ll get his mail and paper because he was going out of town for a few days. How inconsiderate is that.


Oh well! Tomorrow morning like most every weekday mornings I will grab my cup of Joe and the morning paper and connect with my wife and two year old son . We’ll have breakfast on the patio under a large oak tree draped in moss. Then I’ll walk 3 blocks on brick covered streets to my little office on the second floor above the local drugstore. There I will correspond with my counterparts in many large cities and hear the excitement in their voices as they bestow the virtues of a fast paced stressed lifestyle in the big city.

I am so deprived. Get me out of here!
Wow! you do have it tough.

Yes, I agree life like that is bad. I always think of NJ. It was hard to believe that in Jersey, yes Jersey, I lived in this house that was backed up to 300 acres of wetlands. I had to get up everyday and look at deer, coons, and birds pooping all over the place. The only arts I had was the landscape, trees, and woods, if I wanted anything nice I would have to drive 20 miles to the shore and look at the crummy water surrounded by light houses.
Food, furrgetaboutit. They always overstuffed their sandwiches with steak and cheese, the darn pizza slice was so large that you had to fold the thing just to eat it.
As far as sports, well I had to drive to that too. Only had 3 NFL teams, 4 NHL teams, 3 NBA teams, and 16 Minor League Baseball w/ 3 professional teams within a 50 mile radius. Now that really suucked.

All in all, I can't complain. My job closed it's office in Jersey and transfered me finally to Georgia. Now I have my nice McMansion where I can hear my neighbor break wind, my yard is so big that my dog has to watch where he aims his hiney so not to lay a mine in the neighbors yard,
The arts? Well there is some cool spraypaint pictures and words on walls over a 20 mile radius. And sports! Now that tops it all. It is so good. We have 1 baseball team, 1 football team and 1 basketball team. The best thing is being only 35 miles down the road! If you leave early enough you might make it through traffic in time to catch the 4th quarter or 9th inning.
Now dining, that is tops. We have salted food buffets all over, and Bar-b-Que on every block. There are numerous health wise restaurants offering fried chicken, fried pickles, and even fried twinkies for dessert. The fish selection is great too. You get Catfish buttered, fried, or broiled!
Christmas is grand, It's 75 degrees with sun or maybe a windy humid rain storm and you get to look at all the metal snowmen and Bad Santa's

Last edited by Georgia; 12-18-2006 at 06:50 AM..
 
Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 AM
 
84 posts, read 357,171 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaryl2002 View Post
Life in a small southern town stinks. To anyone who is considering moving from a large city to a small Georgia town please read this post first. I live in one of those South Georgia town just across the Florida border. Listed below is what to expect from the Georgia lifestyle.

First, when it comes to the Arts, in my town this week’s exhibit is Ms Taylor’s 3rd grade Christmas pictures plastered on the windows at McDonalds. The First graders recent play “It’s Tough to be a Bug” is a total embarrassment to anyone accustom to a Broadway production. Sports are you kidding. Little league baseball in the summer and Friday night high school football in the fall, try comparing that to the major league.

Dinning out is the pits. The local BBQ joint cooks their hog in an open pit out back. You can’t even enjoy your meal because people always come up and want to know “how ya’ll doing” and “Haven’t seen you in a while”. Once a neighbor spotted our table and came over and asked if I’ll get his mail and paper because he was going out of town for a few days. How inconsiderate is that.


Oh well! Tomorrow morning like most every weekday mornings I will grab my cup of Joe and the morning paper and connect with my wife and two year old son . We’ll have breakfast on the patio under a large oak tree draped in moss. Then I’ll walk 3 blocks on brick covered streets to my little office on the second floor above the local drugstore. There I will correspond with my counterparts in many large cities and hear the excitement in their voices as they bestow the virtues of a fast paced stressed lifestyle in the big city.

I am so deprived. Get me out of here!
I feel sad for you. I guess it's whatever you are looking for in life at the time that determines whether this is paradise or hell. I moved here from Cleveland, OH in the summer and I LOVE IT. I've lived in Cleveland all my life and have always loved the south (visited with my parents who both grew up in the south and with my husband 2 or 3 times a year for over 10 years before moving here). In the past 3 years, I've lost both parents. I was looking for peace of mind with this move. I embraced a slower pace, nicer people, kicking back to smell the roses - so this is perfect for me. I live in Stockbridge (which might be a little more progressive than where you're at but it's still in no Downtown ATL where all of the hip and happening things are going on). I don't wish to be in the middle of the hip and happening crowd right now in my life, so I"m happy just to BE right now.
I hope that you are able to move to find what you are looking for, ATL is SOOOOO diverse and there's so much to offer here. Are you renting or own a home?
 
Old 12-18-2006, 04:13 PM
 
436 posts, read 548,775 times
Reputation: 243
"Nothing beats a New York or North Jersey slice with the 3 finger fold"

You're singing my song.

I've lived around, but when the pizza Jones hits I don't think of a slice (or square) with 70% dough, I don't think of eating California Pizza Kitchen stuff, I **** for sure don't think of Domino or Papa John delivery pizza (what's up with that middle part of the crust that's always raw & uncooked in those chemical pies?), heck, I don't even think of the pizza I had years ago in Italy - I think about the slices I pigged out on in & around NYC.

Ok, I admit I'm a sucker for any place with a wood-fired oven, but I always stick to their basic sauce/mozzarella/basil/olive oil pie, the thought of blue cheese or pineapple on a pie makes my stomach do flip-flops.

When I lived in LA, (the old) Spago's use to have a smoked salmon/cream cheese pizza with a dollop of caviar on it. If I want nova I'll head to Barney's on Amsterdam in NYC and order a toasted onion bagel/cream cheese/nova when I visit. People are always trying to mess up stuff that's best in its original incarnation - they call that messed up stuff 'gourmet' and charge you extra.

Last edited by brian_2; 12-18-2006 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top