Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Georgia region has the most racism?
North 4 66.67%
South 0 0%
East 1 16.67%
West 1 16.67%
Central 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 PM

5 posts, read 21,845 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've seen the recent Georgia posts about racism and it does answer part of my question but I really don't care for the bigger cities because its all I'm used to; I want something different. I want to know which small towns in particular, and counties also, are the most racist in Georgia. I am very particular because I have a mixed child and I don't want to be the only black person there. I know this is lengthy but please bear with me. I heard about Alfred Wright in Jasper, Texas and Kendrick Johnson and I don't want to end up like them. I know racism is everywhere but its worse in rural areas.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,340,666 times
You'll never get a straight answer because of differing beliefs about what IS racism. To me, born and raised in Wyoming, any name calling or base assumption that another human is inferior in some way (and that goes BOTH ways) is racism. My in-laws (GA natives for about 200 years worth of lineage) are guilty of it pretty much any time I'm around them for more than 5 minutes. Ask THEM if they're being racist though and they will say "not even close".

As for 'most', it's the same everywhere I've been in GA ~ no more or less, it's somethign you can pick up on within 2~3 minutes anywhere you happen to be.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:39 AM

191 posts, read 321,513 times
If you dont want to be in a big city, but want to be shielded from racism in Georgia, I would recommend looking for a smaller city with a large university. I find that college towns tend to be outliers in rural areas when it comes to identity/political issues.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,604,670 times
If you type the name of any incorporated town in your search engine, you'll see the demographics of that town. Usually, the information is taken from actual records and should be fairly accurate.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 21,845 times
Thank yall for the answers! I have a better idea of where to look now

Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 PM

325 posts, read 572,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
You'll never get a straight answer because of differing beliefs about what IS racism. To me, born and raised in Wyoming, any name calling or base assumption that another human is inferior in some way.
Having lived in most all of these United States, there are some standouts - IMHO Wyoming is far more racist than Montana or Georgia - which has a live and let live attitude. It's more about how many more caucasians there are vs the ex-slaves, Mexicans and asians. However, there are many towns in the rest of GA that are predominately negro.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:54 PM

155 posts, read 205,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
Having lived in most all of these United States, there are some standouts - IMHO Wyoming is far more racist than Montana or Georgia - which has a live and let live attitude. It's more about how many more caucasians there are vs the ex-slaves, Mexicans and asians. However, there are many towns in the rest of GA that are predominately negro.
LOL..wow you're pretty much still living under a rock in 2014..I'm pretty sure the correct term is African American or black instead of negro or Hispanics instead of Mexicans at least from the Hispanic friends that I have..

Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,064,368 times
All of rural Georgia outside of the mountains has a pretty high % of blacks, and if I'm not mistaken, even in extreme northern Georgia several of the towns have a high % of hispanics. This is not to say they are racist or not, but as an AA I'd probably only feel uncomfortable in one of those towns in the mountains where I may be one of only a handful of black guys.

When I travel by car to visit family in Ohio and Detroit, I pass through several areas in TN and KY that have similar demographics to the extreme N. Georgia towns and I get some weird looks just stopping for gas, restroom break or fast food.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,340,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
IMHO Wyoming is far more racist than Montana or Georgia - which has a live and let live attitude.
The thing about opinions... they're like rectums, everyone's got one and they all stink.

You mention Montana, I went to college in Bozeman and happen to be sitting about 90 miles south of Great Falls at my parents place right now just as I do every winter. Needless, I don't agree with your opinion in the least. There's zero difference between WY and MT when it comes to how people treat each other. Actually, I take that back... there's more Curiosity if someone is different than the normal Caucasian, and that only turns negative if that new person brings it upon themselves.

My point still stands though, it's impossible to get any real information when making this kind of post. What I see as racist is just normal daily life to another.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,763,487 times
Variations of this have been discussed before. If you search the forums you'll find them. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia