Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,781 times

Advertisements

Good information, djhome.

Replantedin sc:
Thomson is east of Atlanta toward Augusta -- not in or near the mountains. Maybe Georgiadog was recommending Thomson as safe and inexpensive, but it isn't the mountains. If you really need to be within an hour's drive of Conyers/Rockdale and if you can abandon the idea of living on a mountain, check out the small towns of Walnut Grove, Social Circle, Monroe, Rutledge.

As far as I know, Atlanta is the only city in Georgia where air quality is much of an issue (discounting lovely Savannah's paper mill odor emmisions), but airnow.gov tracks air pollutant levels daily for three Georgia areas: Atlanta, Macon and Augusta-Aiken (GA/SC border). Check that site.

If your asthma attacks are triggered by allergens such as pollen, our beautiful springs could mean two or three weeks of indoor days for you. As for heat and smog, I love Atlanta and have no wish to leave, but there are several days in July and August when I can't risk taking a long walk outdoors (mild asthma, myself). Like most large cities, our local weather reports include smog alerts in season so I just plan around it as best I can.

Last edited by Figment 07; 01-15-2007 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 05:19 PM

26 posts, read 448,574 times
Thanks DJ and Figment! I was always interested in geography but not very good with it. I needed the info you provided.

Georgiadog, is Thomson really that great? You seem to give them a lot of kudos. Please, do tell what's so good about Thomson, GA? You've certainly aroused my curiosity

Old 01-15-2007, 06:10 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,781 times
You're welcome!

This might help:

http://figs.homestead.com/georgiaATLmap.JPG (broken link)

Rockdale/Conyers is east and slightly south of Atlanta (to the right of Atlanta on map above).

The north Georgia mountains are not shown on this section of Georgia. To get there from Atlanta, you would have to drive north for about an hour.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:07 PM

36 posts, read 239,190 times
Hello, thankyou for your posts all. I haven't had a chance to visit this site in a while. I actually have been researching air pollution maps on the EPA website. While Georgia does have more overall pollution then Illinois where I currently live, I've found that the counties that I'm looking at to move to in Georgia have the same levels of air pollution as the county I currently live in up here. (Lake County, Illinois)

So, I guess I was worried about nothing. LOL. I grew up in Georgia so I can handle the humidity. And we have plenty of problems with mold up here. I do know that I probably could not live in the city itself due to the smog. That would get to my asthma every day.

I cannot afford a house. I don't make enough. I have to find apartments for us. I could possibly afford a condo but there's no way I will ever be able to afford a house or townhome. I just don't make that much.

I have been thinking about Loganville possibly. I keep hearing good things about it. I am also looking north of the city and possibly far north Georgia as well.

Anyway, I am hoping to visit my best friend in Conyers (Rockdale County) for the first time this year so that she can drive me around and I can actually "see" areas firsthand.

Thanks all.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:26 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,514 times
Default Thinging of moving to Georgia as well.

I have been looking at Georgia as a retirement (partial) location myself. I was favoring North of Atlanta, but l am also interested in east of Atlanta. I like to be close enough to get to town in about 1 hour in normal traffic. but not so close I have to deal with the rush hour traffic, etc. Suburban to semi rural is fine. I notice that Monroe and a few others have come up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia