U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 AM

199 posts, read 897,984 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

we are planning on visiting Georgia w/ a few European friends in Spring '08 and we were wondering which cities, national / state parks you can recommend in your state. We would like to stay away from Atlanta. Things of interest:
- historic districts / sites
- beautiful nature, hiking, beach
- southern culture, festivals, food
- live country music

We are interested in the must-see places but also in areas off the beaten path.

We're looking forward to hearing from you,
Christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:17 PM

913 posts, read 2,732,337 times
Columbus (Columbus Georgia Convention & Visitors Bureau - Georgia travel, antique shops, hotels, restaurants, shopping, tours, Ft. Benning) is a great place to visit. There are a lot of museums, parks, river walk, etc. Callaway Gardens (Callaway Gardens | Georgia Vacation Resort, Family Vacations, Golf & Weekend Getaways) is just north of the city. Columbus is only 80-85 south of Hartfield-Jackson International.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:31 PM

61 posts, read 332,064 times
Default South of Atlanta

One off the beaten path but interesting place is Providence Canyon State Park.

Providence Canyon State Park

The big springtime festival in the central part of Georgia is the Cherry Blossom festival in Macon.

Macon's International Cherry Blossom Festival

And I'll second that Callaway Gardens is a great place to visit in the springtime.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 PM

177 posts, read 913,443 times
I find FDR's Little White house in Warm Springs interesting. Also Jimmy Carter's boyhood home in Plains. There is a train, I think it's called the SAM line that goes to Carter's home. It stops (I don't know for how long) and people visit Carter's home. If you are interested in Carter you can go to his Sunday School class in Plains and then meet, greet and photograph him. Attendance at Sunday School is his "price" for that. Carter's home is a Depression-era home.

If you do these trips (which can be done in one day), I'd find meals in places other than Americus, Warm Springs or Plains (though there is a small cafe in Plains), UNLESS people on this list can recommend restaurants.

I'd also go to Madison -- it's a charming town (the downtown). If you're lucky with your timing you'll see a lot of Spring gardens. Part of the fun of going to Madison is taking the "back roads" state highways, etc....horses, farms, etc. Lots of antique shopping in Madison, Antique Sweets makes it's own caramels, other candies. Town 220 (for lunch or dinner) is reliable and often features local things like berries (though spring it too early for that). There is also The Ice House in Madison for dinner. Town 220 is connected to an antique mall by a doorway (though I feel the antique mall has gone downhill over the years, still worth a look if your friends are interested in that kind of thing).
There are a couple of nice wineries in the northern part of the state, but their names escape me right now. I wonder when the apple orchards in Elijay are in bloom? There is a wine shop in downtown Elijay where you can taste local wines.

If you're going to the coast, Jekyll Island Club.

If you're driving south of Atlanta and the Peach Blossom Trail is on your way to anywhere, it would be nice if the peach trees are in bloom.

All the best,
zebbie

Old 12-04-2007, 10:30 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,667,111 times
Must see.. Savannah (historic district)...
Athens
Northeast Georgia MOuntains..(Dahlonega, Tallulah Gorge, Amicalola Falls, Helen)
also if you have time visit Cloudland Canyon State park in NW GA just south of CHattanooga.
The Calloway Gardens and Providence Canyon is another good suggestion.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:36 PM

177 posts, read 913,443 times
Disgusta,

I'm glad you mentioned Dahlonega...I tried writing it on my post and for the life of me, couldn't figure out how to get anywhere near the spelling.

For the original poster, yes, Dahlonega. And, there is some road between Dahlonega and Elijay should the apple blossoms be in bloom. We've never taken that road, it's a mountain road, but maybe someone on this list has.

zeb

Old 12-04-2007, 10:48 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,667,111 times
Good downhome Southern restaurants to try
Smith HOuse---Dahlonega
Mrs Wilkes Boarding HOuse---Savannah (has been featured on several Travel Channel shows)
Fresh Air BBQ and Carithers BBQ in Athens
also Charlie Williams Pinecrest Lodge was always a big favorite in Athens
if you come near social circle you must eat at The Blue Willow Inn
The Yesterday Cafe in Rutledge (between Social Circle and Madison) is also a good choice.... it was a favorite of actor Carrol O'Conner when he was in the area filming the TV show "In the Heat of the Night.". Rutledge is a cute little town next to Hard Labor Creek State park that often gets overlooked and overshadowed by nearby Madison.. but I highly recommend making a stop.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:48 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,020,957 times
Here are a few more good Southern style restaurants all in Columbus:
Chester's BBQ Pit
Countries BBQ
Ezel's
Wynnton BBQ Pit
There are some more, but it's early and I'm not thinking very well at the moment.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:26 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,864,405 times
Default Disgusta doesn't suck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
Must see.. Savannah (historic district)...
Athens
Northeast Georgia MOuntains..(Dahlonega, Tallulah Gorge, Amicalola Falls, Helen)
also if you have time visit Cloudland Canyon State park in NW GA just south of CHattanooga.
The Calloway Gardens and Providence Canyon is another good suggestion.
Disgusta is RIGHT ON! Especially with Helen, Savannah and northeast GA mtns. If you come up to Cloudland Canyon don't forget Chickamauga and Chickamauga Battlefield.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM

199 posts, read 897,984 times
Thank you all very much for your suggestions, this is going to be a fun trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or