U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 04:03 PM

22 posts, read 30,776 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for any information on what it's like to live in Dalton or Ringgold. We are retiring on about 40k a year income and don't have kids so we don't care about the quality of schools in the area. We don't have a problem with hispanics, whites, blacks, whatever as long as they're nice people. Criminals of any kind are not wanted but I noticed the crime rate has been great in those areas since 2006 so that's fine. Like moderate temperatures, nothing too hot or humid, and four seasons. Looking to buy or build a modest home for 150k or preferrably less. He loves square dancing and I love hanging out with friends at restaurants, movies or shopping. Nothing major. So what do you think? Does it sound like we're on the right track for our retirement home? Or are there other areas you would suggest?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 05:41 PM

6,642 posts, read 6,192,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deselle View Post
I'm looking for any information on what it's like to live in Dalton or Ringgold. We are retiring on about 40k a year income and don't have kids so we don't care about the quality of schools in the area. We don't have a problem with hispanics, whites, blacks, whatever as long as they're nice people. Criminals of any kind are not wanted but I noticed the crime rate has been great in those areas since 2006 so that's fine. Like moderate temperatures, nothing too hot or humid, and four seasons. Looking to buy or build a modest home for 150k or preferrably less. He loves square dancing and I love hanging out with friends at restaurants, movies or shopping. Nothing major. So what do you think? Does it sound like we're on the right track for our retirement home? Or are there other areas you would suggest?

You'll love the area.

Go for it!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:15 PM

567 posts, read 1,022,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deselle View Post

I was born in Ringgold and have relatives there and in Dalton. I think both are fine, just a little too "built up" for me along the extremely busy I-75. I think you'll find cost of living to be ok. Close to Chattanooga is a plus.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:18 PM

22 posts, read 30,776 times
Thanks Born and JoDan! We're very excited that the areas seem to fit us so well. If we can get our current house sold quickly, hopefully we'll see you around this summer.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,226 times
My husband and I looked at a move to Dalton 6+ years ago from a town closer to Atlanta.
We wanted to be closer to our children and grandchildren in Tennessee but wanted to stay in Georgia.
Reading the comments on this forum could be discouraging to you, but I encourage you to look at some of the things we found. Dalton has great city services and Optilink ( computer/TV and phone) serves us well. Lovely City Municipal buildings and many parks for walking. Any night we don't feel like cooking there are any number of restaurants we can dine. Diversity? YES Thank goodness! Dalton is a very conservative traditional community which is appealing to some and not so appealing to others. I would like to see more diversity in business here, and more younger professionals moving to our town. It has strong roots in Southern History ( Civil War) I tend to believe no war is Civil. Dalton is nestled between two National Forests and in the
High country of Georgia ( beautiful scenery) and just 35miles from Chattanooga, Tennessee. ( for more restaurants and shopping opportunities) Every place has pros and cons...Dalton does need some sprucing up (modernizing) but mainly in attitude, embracing a wider vision.
I am not displeased with our decision to move here. I HAVE seen improvements. It is a much more welcoming place for retirees who are not looking for employment. Taxes are very reasonable. We have a way to go but I hope we do attract new people as well as provide opportunities for the next generation to want to make this their home. Don't count Dalton out
as your choice....as you know there are positives and negatives about any place. I chose Dalton and embrace the positive things I mentioned and hope to see more positive changes ahead.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 AM

56 posts, read 100,404 times
I have a townhome for sale in a gated community next to the Dalton Country Club, if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or