U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:53 PM

164 posts, read 483,133 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Miami, Fl to either S Carolina or Georgia. I've read about peachtree city being ideal, is this town nice? I also have questions about Perry Ga and Macon, how are these cities? We are looking for a nice safe community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 04:58 PM

21 posts, read 57,743 times
Hi there, fellow neighbor My wife and I are also from Miami. We have some friends that moved to Kennesaw about 2 years ago. We've visted them and drove all over. Really loved it there, we're going again in Nov to check out more areas. Take a look at the area where I-75 and I-575 meets on local.live.com (Microsofts online map). The area east of 575 and north of Chastain Rd is really nice. The development near there called Chastain Lakes reminds me a lot of Coral Gables. The lawns are nice, houses are unique, really nice looking, but without the price. The mall and other stores are really close by as well. Right north of where I-75 and I-575 meets is a huge mall (Town Center). Also if you look south of that you'll see Barrett Pkwy. That street would most likely resembles Kendall Drive. Tons of stores, restaurants, etc (also the traffic, but thats expected with all the stores). Definately an area you should try to visit and check out. Let me know if you want more info, we've been researching moving up there for about a year so we have a good feel of where you look and where not to look.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:27 PM

45 posts, read 48,820 times
Hello Miamians. I used to live in the Gables and I have lived in NC and presently live in GA. I must say you all are very wise for making the decision to move out of South Florida as I feel the quality of life has greatly decreased. Peachtree City is actually pretty nice. The homes are well priced and the school districts are also pretty strong. I am a Realtor so I deal with lots of folks coming from South Florida. You know some families coming up from there are looking for a stark difference; they are looking for change. It is understood that you inherently will make associations and look for things that are familiar to you. When I left Florida, I was fed up with the traffic, the saturation in every industry, the rude people, the heat, the lack of seasons, and among many other things, I was in need for a change in pace. Yet, I love many things of So Fla and that's what has brought me to GA. There is only one other place, in my opinion, in the southeast that shares the same characteristics with Florida, Charleston, SC. Very similar due to it's vicinity to the ocean. I would recommend, as I do with my present clients Gwinnett County. Most of my clients do not want to contend with traffic. Gwinnett has a strong school district. Five high schools in the county rank among the top 5% of High Schools in the NATION. The economy here is strong and the quality of life is very calm and enjoyable. A commute to downtown isn't bad just about 30 minutes, traffic free. Lake Lanier is up here and there are many great builders that have created positive income potential PUDs. Kennesaw has a good university that the city really embraces. Life is good there. Well I hope you have found some useful information here. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me as I truly enjoy sharing my experience and knowledge. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:01 PM

38 posts, read 111,211 times
Default Ptc

O.K., here's the skinny on Peachtree City. I live here.

Very nice community.
Lots of transplants.
Lots of Delta employees.
Not diverse. Mainly white.
A few locals living here. Definitely not the majority though.
Very crime free in Peachtree City.
Great schools.
Golf cart path system.
Friendly people.
Safe for your kids to play outside.

Other things I've noticed:
A lot of crime in Georgia in general.
The crime is moving closer and closer to Fayetteville/Peachtree City area
Tension in the state of Georgia between the black and white races
No Mall close by, not one worth going to anyways. For a good Mall your going to have to go into Atlanta and on a good day, it will take you 50 minutes.
No great, restaurants. Their all chains. If you like chains, you'll be in heaven.
Not much to do close by in the area.

I've been objective and honest. Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:02 PM

25 posts, read 83,283 times
Thanks for all the advise, I am going to take a look at Gwinnet and Kennesaw.
We actually flew into Greenville SC and liked it but thought maybe GA would be better and a bit closer since our families are staying behind. I've lived in Miami all my life so I'm sure there are things I'll miss but its just too much right now for us. I really want to slow down alittle, life here is just too stressfull. We've had our house on the market for 3 months now and just reduced it so I hope to sell it soon.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:04 PM

25 posts, read 83,283 times
Sorry I just noticed City-data signed me in with my husbands account.
I'm rox011 though

Old 10-25-2006, 06:26 AM

436 posts, read 548,559 times
"I used to live in the Gables"

Yeah me too. It was very nice in the seventies. It's a congested mess now. Sad. can't dwell too much on change - it's inevitable. USA has passed the 300 million mark. I'd guess the number is higher.

When we were young in Miami the feeling was one of energetic excitement.

When we are older adults in Miami the feeling was one of stress 24/7.

I've lived in both areas of GA & FL that you folks are discussing. I honestly think you can do better than either place. Keep visiting and researching other states.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:58 PM

164 posts, read 483,133 times
I took a look at Kennessaw and Marietta through realtors.com and I found several properties I'm interesting in. I have a question on these cities. Do they have a main street area or a midtown that has restaurants or cafes? I'm sure Atlanta does. One thing I liked about Greenville SC was the main street area at night, it was so active. It kind of resembled a miracle miles feel with a bit of coconut grove but without the traffic. Just curious if theres a place where you can sit, have some coffee and enjoy the scene.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:54 PM

45 posts, read 48,820 times
Ewwww miracle mile no I think not. A grove kind of feel you can find in Atlanta. There's the Highlands, which I totally like and Midtown. In order to avoid the traffic and the stress thereof, I would recommend Gwinnett because it's not all that much of a drive and you are staying away from Dekalb taxes and mad traffic. Although commuting in rush hour can be rather horrendous. I know Kennesaw has a progressive area, I just can’t direct you there as I have not visited. I can although tell you from experience about Gwinnett and Midtown; I have a place in both areas. Marietta I personally am not a huge fan of. There are some parts that have remained unscaved from the transition taking place in the area, but for the most part I do tell my clients that there are many other options in the county. You also may consider Sandy Springs or Dunwoody, both of which have these progressive areas such as the Grove and things we may be able to relate to. Like UM is to the Gables, Emory is to Dunwoody. We have moved 6 lifetime Miami families here and still BBQ with them on the weekends. They love it. Yes you will miss some things, but the pros completely outweigh the cons. And if you ever feel the need for the "BIG city" thing just drive 28 miles south and get all the taste of metropolis life you can get. It's a really happy medium. Even my nieces who are hardcore Miami girls have been moved here in middle school and they do not want to return to Miami. We have a house in Hollywood off Sheridan and it was on the market for 4 months before we had to settle for a lease option. Good luck!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:31 PM

321 posts, read 1,443,300 times
Marietta has a beautiful area known as Marietta Square that has the courthouse, and also a nice park with bandstand for entertainment, and all around the square are lots of nice shops and restaurants, and some beautiful homes, many of them historic. Tree lined streets and sidewalks, very nice.

Kennesaw does have a downtown area which is not as large as Marietta's, but it has shops and restaurants. The Trackside Grill is especially good. They have a farmer's market there and also a bandstand at the old depot and have festivals and such.

The Marietta Square area has a decent nightlife, check out Hemingway's. Not much in Kennesaw, though if you head a little bit away from the center, over to Cobb Parkway, there are a few bars/restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia