Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times

Advertisements

North Carolina has great train watching...Georgia has incredible train watching! I had to get the important stuff in there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 01:14 AM

277 posts, read 436,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
North Carolina has great train watching...Georgia has incredible train watching! I had to get the important stuff in there...
Thats a thing?! I always look down the tracks when crossing but that's about it. Now ship watching on the other hand....

Old 05-02-2014, 02:30 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Thats a thing?! I always look down the tracks when crossing but that's about it. Now ship watching on the other hand....
There is also plane spotting or something like that. Go figure!

Old 05-02-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
I can see ship watching and plane watching being a thing. I thought I was the only one that liked watching trains...boy was I mistaken. It's HUGE! I went to Youtube and typed in "Railfanning Georgia" and got over 48,000 results. Keeping with the theme of this thread, North Carolina does have Hamlet, Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, Greensboro, Salisbury, Charlotte to name a few for watching trains. Some of my favorite places in Georgia for trains that I visit are Austell, Folkston, Waycross, Jenkinsburg and Locust Grove so both states are similar in that respect.....

Old 05-02-2014, 06:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Georgia is a great place for train spotting because all of the main trunk lines going in and out of Florida (and up the eastern seaboard) basically converge at one point in Folkston, where there are four parallel tracks in the center of town. The GRAND SLAM for train spotters is when four trains come through all at the same time going different directions.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:17 AM

277 posts, read 436,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I can see ship watching and plane watching being a thing. I thought I was the only one that liked watching trains...boy was I mistaken. It's HUGE! I went to Youtube and typed in "Railfanning Georgia" and got over 48,000 results. Keeping with the theme of this thread, North Carolina does have Hamlet, Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, Greensboro, Salisbury, Charlotte to name a few for watching trains. Some of my favorite places in Georgia for trains that I visit are Austell, Folkston, Waycross, Jenkinsburg and Locust Grove so both states are similar in that respect.....
I currently live in Greenville NC and we must have about 9 or 10 trains come through each day. The tracks intersect the middle of town like an "X" so its pretty much impossible not to live somewhere where you don't hear the train about every two hours. The worst one is about 5:30 AM (less than a quarter mile from my current residence). Wakes me up like clockwork.

We actually had a derailment the other day. Train derails in Greenville, leaks non-hazardous fertilizers - WNCT

I'll admit, I'm extremely fascinated by industrial things. Trains are cool, I just didn't expect a big community of train watchers to exist. There's a train track here that runs behind East Carolina University and it's always interesting when one comes by on a football game day. You'd think 50-70k fans tailgating + a train wouldn't mix well, but I've never heard of any accidents. Then again they normally go by during the middle of the games or about 30 minutes afterwards. I do remember a train coming through at the end of a game when about 45k fans were leaving the stadium. He slowed down to a snails pace.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Georgia is a great place for train spotting because all of the main trunk lines going in and out of Florida (and up the eastern seaboard) basically converge at one point in Folkston, where there are four parallel tracks in the center of town. The GRAND SLAM for train spotters is when four trains come through all at the same time going different directions.
Wouldn't they get all smashed up???

Old 05-06-2014, 11:53 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZW_rQIegfI&hd=1

Old 05-07-2014, 03:30 PM

Videos like that never get old, thanks for sharing!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 AM

9 posts, read 33,685 times
Hi,
I'm actually looking for a 'safe' area in North Carolina to move! I've been in Savannah, ga. for 7 years and while it is certainly slow, and quaint, it is also heavy on murders, section 8's, free phones for poor people, and a typical example of parents after the civil war telling kids (now adults with kids) to 'Not make waves'. So they simply accept the crime, and the continual overlooking of Black criminals that are rampant in the area and around.
It's basically unsafe and for college students to get drunk, and some times killed.

Obama is the one down here and it's the epitome of the Obamanation so it's hard to be looking for the same unless you're collecting food stamps and want others to pay for your homes and get free phones....

Now if that is what you are looking for.... Savannah is the place! Cars are not examined or have to go through any inspection either!

Poverty made easy is Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia