Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:59 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,586,461 times

Advertisements

Kings Bay/St. Mary's mercury/other toxins contamination
I was pregnant as a young Navy bride in St. Mary's Georgia in 1980 near Gilman Paper Mill next to Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base . My son was born with Asperger's Syndrome and is now 27 years old. Gilman paper co. was one of the most mercury toxic factories in Georgia according to EPA records. Gilman sold to Durango when the Gilman heir died, and Durango soon went bankrupt. I found out years later that the US Navy was aware of the mercury problem in Cumberland Sound according to a Georgia Tech study which referenced U.S. Navy's Draft '76-'77 Environmental Impact Statement of Kings Bay (Navy 1975) even BEFORE Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base was commissioned in 1978. Also, I found a NATO study online which shows that Kings Bay was built on top of a toxic dump called Old Camden County Landfill. The St. Mary's waterbasin and Kings Bay area were both declared as two seperate Superfund Sites:

http://www.cqs.com/super_ga.htm

Later on after my little family left Kings Bay area , we spent years of mystery about our son. Marriage fell apart in 2000 which broke my heart , and I finally got my son correctly diagnosed in 2003. Social Security Administration officially recognizes his disability of Asperger's Syndrome ( an autism spectrum disorder) as from birth. However, I say he was disabled since the womb due to the toxicity of the St. Mary's/Kings Bay area .

Needless to say if you are pregnant, have infants or small developing children, you do not want to live in the St. Mary's/Kings Bay GA area at all , which is directly north of Jacksonville, FL. To be safe , just don't live in Camden County at all if you are pregnant or have children. Mercury is one of the most toxic substances on the face of the earth and causes autism spectrum disorders. You should not eat the mercury contaminated fish/rock shrimp in the area while pregnant. You may not want to live there even if you do not have children due to the disorders you could develop from the high content of mercury and other toxins in the St. Mary's/Kings Bay area.

If you lived in the Kings Bay/St. Mary's/Kingsland area while you were pregnant and your child is autistic/Asperger's, please respond to this thread!

Last edited by aspiesmom; 12-24-2007 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 01:43 PM

8 posts, read 24,241 times
Camden and Charlton counties in Georgia are great options for working in Jacksonville. www.247realtyservice.com has good information.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,653,235 times
There is no advantage to living on GA side. You pay no income tax in Florida and, if the need should ever arise that you are sued or file bankruptcy they cannot take your home in Florida either- even if it is worth 50 million dollars. They also cannot take your wages or pension either (that is why all the corporate criminals and OJ Simpson live there).

Old 12-30-2007, 06:27 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,204,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
From a financial standpoint you would get the pleasure of having your pocket picked by the georgia government since there's a state income tax in ga.
Property tax and home insurance taxes may be less on the GA side of the border, no?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 25,626 times
Default you don't want to come to folkston

The little town of Folkston might seem inviting but believe me you do not want to live here. It is so far from everything. There is no shopping, no restaurants, no theaters, no nightlife, nothing. Even cable tv and internet service is rare. Where I live I have been waiting 8 years for high speed internet and still no luck. I have to rely on satellite tv because there is no cable.
Cell phone reception is terrible in most areas of the county.
Everything is at least an hour away in Jacksonville, Fl.
The property taxes here are the highest in the state. The income per capita is less than half the state average. Real estate values do not go up.
Jobs are non existent except for a few minimum wage jobs. Gas is as high or higher at times than it is in Florida.
Not much to offer anyone.
There really is a much better way of life just 4 miles south on the Florida side of the St. Marys River. Florida does not have a state income tax like Georgia and the property taxes are lower.
Gas prices make it hard to go anywhere because the nearest town with anything at all is 22 miles away. Jacksonville is 45 miles, but that is just to the county line and then it is another 10 miles or more before you can really get to anything in Jacksonville. Waycross, Georgia is 38 miles so you gas bill ends up being herendous if you work in one of those places.
All in all not a good place to relocate to.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 25,626 times
You would be better off in Jacksonville but if you must live in Georgia consider Camden County instead of Charlton.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:28 PM

61 posts, read 266,953 times
Insurance won't be much higher on the FL side of the border. Crossing the border will not increase hurricane risk... that is an "area" thing. Property taxes might be a bit cheaper in GA but the income tax... I would say if you work in FL... live in FL.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:56 PM

96 posts, read 423,106 times
Now that's hillarious! Worrying about getting your pocket picked in Ga. for taxes then advising people to head to Jax. to get "literally pick pocketed & shot there"..LOL

Old 03-07-2011, 04:26 PM

59 posts, read 153,409 times
Jacksonville is a nice town if you know where to live. Downtown highrise is one option. But the best part of Jax is the southside. Particularly Southside blvd and Bay Meadows Rd area.
They have a nice mall there and beaches are just 10 miles away.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,084,203 times
No state income tax in FL, but they get you in many other ways:

*Higher property tax
*Higher gas prices
*MUCH higher grocery prices
*Higher homeowners insurance premiums
*More expensive homes

Sure, if you're a crook or a thief, FL is for you (see recent comment about getting sued or filing bankruptcy). Overall, GA is less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia