Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 PM

14 posts, read 39,595 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to North Georgia. Any info would be greatly appreciated. We have twin 13 year old boys, obviously need good schools and lots of outdoor recreational activities. Looking for a newer home on at least an acrea nd that has trees, mtn views etc. Thanks for your insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 12:01 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Default Hello 4inourFamily

I saw your post and wanted to give you my opinion, such as it is. My husband and I visited Dahlonega in September. We were only there a few days, but we really liked it. The homes are beautiful and very affordable. Most subdivisions give you at least an acre and the homes are surrounded by trees. If you look on "realtor.com" you will find many affordable homes. And they are as lovely in person as they are on the internet.

We also talked to several of the shop owners in downtown Dahlonega. A couple of the shops were being run by college-age/high school age young people. We were so impressed. They were the most delightful, polite, well mannered, educated young people we had seen in a long time.

We were looking to relocate to Dahlonega ourselves, but it is just a little too far away from our families. I think if it were closer, we may seriously consider it.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:03 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
Dahlonega is a beautiful area. I've thought several times about moving there. My only concerns, 1. if there's any chance your going to end up having to commute to ATL then it will be hell on earth, 2. a friend of mine lived there for 3yrs and she said she absolutely hated it, she said the people were very narrow-minded, and extremely cliquish, based on what school you went to, what church you went to, pretty much any and everthing, and above all else 3. from everywhere i've seen in GA the politicians are total whores for big corporations, meaning that as nice, quaint, and scenic of a little town Dahlonega is today, in another 5-10yrs it's going to be full of Super Wal-Marts, Super Targets, Super Home Depots, Super Applebees and all the other usual garbage. I've seen very few areas that make any attempts to hold onto what they are, pretty much everthing is wide open to any and all development, so if that doesn't bother you then go for it.
But that's enough reason for me to think twice about moving up there, especially seeing how they 'develop' areas, and considering Forsyth County is going to be maxed out shortly it's already heading up to Dawson county which is right before Dahlonega so it's just a matter of a few years.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:30 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
Dahlonega is a beautiful area. I've thought several times about moving there. My only concerns, 1. if there's any chance your going to end up having to commute to ATL then it will be hell on earth, 2. a friend of mine lived there for 3yrs and she said she absolutely hated it, she said the people were very narrow-minded, and extremely cliquish, based on what school you went to, what church you went to, pretty much any and everthing, and above all else 3. from everywhere i've seen in GA the politicians are total whores for big corporations, meaning that as nice, quaint, and scenic of a little town Dahlonega is today, in another 5-10yrs it's going to be full of Super Wal-Marts, Super Targets, Super Home Depots, Super Applebees and all the other usual garbage. I've seen very few areas that make any attempts to hold onto what they are, pretty much everthing is wide open to any and all development, so if that doesn't bother you then go for it.
But that's enough reason for me to think twice about moving up there, especially seeing how they 'develop' areas, and considering Forsyth County is going to be maxed out shortly it's already heading up to Dawson county which is right before Dahlonega so it's just a matter of a few years.
Sorry InGA. You are not allowed to move to Dahlonega, nor is anyone else.
I have reserved the town for me in 10 years or less when I retire. It's mine I tell ya, all mine.
Now, if you don't tell anyone else, I might let you live there

That is one GREAT town. Talk about Norman Rockwell

Regards,

Hey, it's my 250th post. I need a rep boost...

Old 10-14-2006, 12:09 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
LOL...I love Dahlonega...Seriousely though, what's your opinion, do you see it being swallowed up like Crapparetta, and Forsyth County in another 10yrs?
I can see Dawsonville is already starting to become ruined, unfortunately I can't imagine it stopping there!

It's funny and at the same time sad, seeing how development is handled/regulated in places like Chicago, Boston, NorthEast...compared to how it is done here...Just a shame, in another 20yrs I'm sure Georgia won't even be called Georgia, they will probably have sold their naming rights to some corporation...Where do you live? I live in the state of 'Super-Georgia brought to you by Super Wal-Mart courtesy of Home Dep'ot

Old 10-14-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
LOL...I love Dahlonega...Seriousely though, what's your opinion, do you see it being swallowed up like Crapparetta, and Forsyth County in another 10yrs?
I can see Dawsonville is already starting to become ruined, unfortunately I can't imagine it stopping there!

It's funny and at the same time sad, seeing how development is handled/regulated in places like Chicago, Boston, NorthEast...compared to how it is done here...Just a shame, in another 20yrs I'm sure Georgia won't even be called Georgia, they will probably have sold their naming rights to some corporation...Where do you live? I live in the state of 'Super-Georgia brought to you by Super Wal-Mart courtesy of Home Dep'ot
I think the town will be swallowed in 10 years You have the stinkin developers trying to target it now. I'm in out of control development central called the Dacula area. Traffc nightmare and getting worse. They are expanding Rt 324 and 124 to dual highway and going to add an additional exit at the Mall of Georgia. Yep! the stinkin developers are already on the bandwagon to add 3,000 more homes on these roads. Were a parking lot in the morning, lets cut traffic and expand the road. NO! let's give developers more time to cram more homes to add 6,000 more cars.

Last month, Georgia eclipsed New Jersey in population closing in on 9 million. Now that does not count the other million illegals, so I guess we are now at 10+ million. The latest census projects Ga to be at 14 - 16 million by 2020.

If we don't soon put these beaucrats in place to stop the seagulls ( I call developers this. You know come in the area in flocks, crap on everything and leave) then your right. GA will no longer be GA, just this big extension known as Atlanta. We can have Atlantabama to the West, Atlantanooga to the NW, and Atlantalina to the NE surrounded by Georgialanta.

With the current non stop building. A 100+K per year population increase, along with the current invasion of Floridians and illegals. It is rather scary.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:35 AM

14 posts, read 39,595 times
Default Just returned from Dahlonega

We just returned from Dahlonega and thank you so much for your input! We really loved it up there but after driving all around to where my husband will be working we have narrowed it down to Jasper or Ball Ground, leaning a little more towards Jasper. I can't wait to go back up n=and make a final decision. Any comments would be appreciated. My husband will be working there a week after Thanksgiving and I will have to wait here for the house to sell. Any suggestions on extended stays?

Old 10-16-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4inourfamily View Post
We just returned from Dahlonega and thank you so much for your input! We really loved it up there but after driving all around to where my husband will be working we have narrowed it down to Jasper or Ball Ground, leaning a little more towards Jasper. I can't wait to go back up n=and make a final decision. Any comments would be appreciated. My husband will be working there a week after Thanksgiving and I will have to wait here for the house to sell. Any suggestions on extended stays?
Jasper is a nice town also. Little larger than Dahlonega.
Either way, you can't go wrong. If I did not have to drive to Duluth everyday I would be there now.

Enjoy you lucky one's you

Old 10-19-2006, 05:42 AM

782 posts, read 1,356,600 times
Hey I got to agree INGA. I work in Forsyth County just south of Dahlonega
and everyone who's lived here for some years tell the same exact thing.
Expect the coming few years to bring Growth, Growth, and more Growth as
Atlanta expands northward towards Dahlonega.
Lots of people are selling the old farms to developers.
The commute is like a terrible nightmare that people relive everyday.
I do think ballground and jasper are better alternatives as long as you dont have to commute down.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Hey I got to agree INGA. I work in Forsyth County just south of Dahlonega
and everyone who's lived here for some years tell the same exact thing.
Expect the coming few years to bring Growth, Growth, and more Growth as
Atlanta expands northward towards Dahlonega.
Lots of people are selling the old farms to developers.
The commute is like a terrible nightmare that people relive everyday.
I do think ballground and jasper are better alternatives as long as you dont have to commute down.

Very true Outdoor.
Georgia just passed Jersey in population closing in on 9 million. According to the US Census they are projecting Georgia's population to exceed 16 million in the next 10 years. Not counting the 2 million illegals bringing it to 18+ million.
Considering Fulton, Gwinnett, and DeKalb already have more population than Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island combined, you can only guess where they will be moving to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia