U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:15 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,347,527 times

Advertisements

I dunno- I moved here this summer without a job, and within a week I had multiple interviews lined up and great offers from several firms. I think it all comes down to having marketable skills in an industry that's in demand in the area, and presenting yourself well.

Now, to the OP- for someone in the "customer service" to not be able to find "a job" in three months seems incredibly odd- maybe they can't find "the job they really want", but I find it hard to believe that they can't be working somewhere to generate some income while the search for "the job" continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,863,749 times
As I have said before, please do not come cold and expect to find a wonderful job. You will be one of so many in the crowd. From my personal experience, the stories of long job searches far outnumber the short ones. Unfortunately, I currently am in this category myself and I am a returning native metro Atlantan. A long search is much more the norm. For those who experienced a short search -- you were very lucky!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,310 times
You guys all have good ideas.

I have been looking for jobs for the bulk of two years now. It's not easy and takes so much time and effort as though when you are not employed you still have a full time job trying to find the next "real" job.

Since I have so much experience looking for jobs I have noticed a college degree in ANYTHING helps tremendously. Also, a stable work history seems to be attractive to employers.

Ajcjobs.com and careerbuilder.com have been the most straight forward online resources that I have found. Removed by moderator: Sorry, too much like advertising for an agency with just one post.

I hope the lord blesses us all with healthy job environments.

-Ashley

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-24-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,361 times
Default Job Seekers

In response to twinkletoes, the job market is "that bad", in fact it's all over the T.V., I know where not from Michigan so we don't have it that bad here in Georgia, but none the less we are still feeling the effects of a dwindling economy. I do agree with you on the point that some people who go to these intreviews and don't get the job, also do not take the time to create a professional resume, dress appropriately and answer questions that are important to the employer. There is also the problem with being over qualified, you may be priced out of the employers range, I am a single mom, I have a single income, and I have to pay for daycare on top of all the basic living expenses. Right now my budget is extremely limited, in my feild with my experince the average person starts off at 17.00-20.00hr, I require that I make at least 15.00hrly and up, in Georgia it seems that 10.00hrly is the going rate for any starting employee. It just depends on your flexability and experince. Good luck to all you job seekers!! I was refereed to a headhunter this week, I will keep you posted on how it works out!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:27 PM

96 posts, read 387,553 times
Oh please; If you can't find employment in the metro atlanta area, you need to redo that ole' resume.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:38 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,170,992 times
what is it about this economic disaster that people do not understand??? anyone who quits their job without having a guarantee of another is simply running a huge risk. keep your job. stay put. don't move now.

for the woman who hasn't found a job in 3 months, i know several people in GA who have not found a job in a year of hard looking.

move in with family.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 AM

235 posts, read 754,969 times
You may not have noticed, but this thread was started in 2006, so the job market wasn't as tough then as it is now. However, I do know people who had lived here for many years, who were qualified who had a hard time finding work in metro Atlanta even in 2004-06.

I think many factors play out, from having a large personal network, to relevant skills, to timing when looking. I would say it is tougher for more people than it is quicker for others who find work quickly. If you are new to Atlanta and do not know anyone, it is very hard to locate work in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or