Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,972 times

Advertisements

Please Help!!!!!!! I am a single parent with a 3 1/2 year old daughter and a 7 month son. I am thinking about relocating to Marietta around May or June of 2010 but I am starting my research early. I have been reading reviews online and doing research. I need to know is Marietta a nice area to live and to raise children. The county is Cobb County and what I have read so far is they have a good school system which is nice to know since when I move to GA my daughter will be living pre-k going into Kindergarden. But the area I will thinking to move in is zip code 30067 around Wylie RD SE. Also give names of good daycares in Marietta with before and after school programs that also take infants (6wks +).Please help me with any details that you have on Marietta. I plan on visiting this summer and taking a few more trips thru this year and the beginning of next year to get an idea if GA is for me. I am a city girl so I need to be close enough to the city. Please Help!!!!!! GOOD OR BAD information it do not matter I will take all comments into consideration.

Last edited by aj0322; 05-07-2009 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: mis-spelled words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
I would repost this in the Atlanta forum. Marietta is north of dowtown Atlanta.

The zipcode <30067> seems to be within the Dobbins Air Force Base section of Marietta. Atlanta forum posters would have more specific knowledge of the area but I would say that the area is transitional--not the ideal place for a single mom and a 3 1/2 year old.

East Cobb County has better schools and more stability/affluence.

From posts I have read in the Atlanta forum there are sections of Smyrna, just west of Marietta, 20-30 minutes in general, that might be a better option for you.

hth

Old 05-24-2009, 09:23 PM

9 posts, read 37,084 times
Default Make sure to stay close to your job

The Atlanta Metro area is very large and spread out. If you want to keep yourself happy, I recommend looking at where you will be working and picking a place that has a reasonable commute time to your job. Then, research the schools. The most objective (but not necessarily best) metric to judge schools by is their performance on a state standardized test known as the CRCT. There are many web sites including my own that allow you to search for schools with certain minimum performance on these tests. I would do your homework on this instead of listening to hype on message boards. Everyone has different priorities and needs and only you can determine for yourself which neighborhood you like best. I suggest, pick all neighborhoods with acceptable schools within about 10 - 15 miles of your job with good schools. Then, visit each and drive through - perhaps looking at a few homes in each. After your first visit, you will have a much better idea of where to focus your home search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia