U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 07:23 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,308,874 times

Advertisements

I have to drop my GD off in Social Circle next week for three nights and while she is there I want to go to a hotel that at least has massage services. Doesn't have to be a full-blown spa, but a nice place with in-house massage and hopefully a jaccuzi. A real spa would be wonderful, but not required.

I've gone to travelocity and a spas website, but can't find anything. I want to make this a mini-vaca for me, too, not three nights in a Hampton Inn if I can help it. Nnot that there is anything wrong with HI, just that I want more than a nice room and coffee in the morning,

All suggestions are invited! Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 10:29 PM

177 posts, read 913,632 times
HIF,

I don't know if you need to be IN Social Circle or near Social Circle.

I can't remember how close Social Circle is to Madison, but I think not too far.

There is a new hotel in downtown Madison that appears FROM LITERATURE to be upscale. I don't remember the name, but the Madison website or chamber of commerce would know. The hotel is right next to a restaurant, Town 220. I mean the restaurant is right out the door of the hotel. Town 220 has reliably good food for lunch and dinner. The Ice House (which would be just across the street from the hotel) is open for dinner. We've eaten there and like it. You'd need to check with both restaurants to see if they are closed any days.

I don't know if this will help or not but maybe it would be a possibility for you if you can't find anything nearer to Social Circle.

All the best,
zebbie

Old 12-21-2007, 02:39 AM

Deja-

I found it- The James Madison Inn. It looks wonderful! Thank you so much. I have contacted them through their website.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:36 PM

Okay, I e-mailed the James Madison Inn and they responded to call for reservations and said that they could put together a package for a single.

I called to book a reservation for two nights, along with a massage, dinner at Town 220 and a carriage ride. The woman who was taking the reservation was so rude and unhelpful that I ended up booking three nights at the Hampton Inn (for less than one night at James Madison) and reserving a lot more spa treatments at the Pure Bliss Spa.

I'll try to get some pix of Madison. From the Chamber website, it looks like a lovely town.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:53 AM

HIF,

I'm so sorry to hear about the rudeness at the James Madison Inn. I wonder WHO on earth that new hotel is hiring that would be rude (apparantly that staff person isn't bright enough to realize who is buttering their bread). We've never stayed there as it's a bit on the steep side for us, but I'm glad you let us know about your experience so I don't go mentioning that hotel to anyone else.

We just got back from a trip to Madison yesterday where we had lunch at Town 220. (I have no connection with Town 220 just that we eat there whenever we can). We've eaten at the Ice House as well which we've enjoyed, but they are only open for dinner (unless they've changed). There is also a place on the main street downtown called, I think, O'Hara's which we've been meaning to try. My husband just mentioned yesterday that they have a menu on line. I think he found the restaurant's site through the chamber website.

The cute family owned candy shop, Antique Sweets (where they make most of their own candy) will be closed for the holidays for about the next two weeks. That's one reason we went yesterday was to pick up candy for Christmas gifts.

I've never heard of the Pure Bliss Spa, but then I'm not a spa person, more of a antique hunter myself. Maybe (if you don't think it's overkill) you could check on this list to see if anyone's used that Pure Bliss Spa?

If you are a book lover, there is an independent bookstore attached to the antique mall by Town 220. If you are interested in antiques there are antique shops all over the town, and not just on the main streets, but in sort of hidden away places. The tourist information office right on the square will probably have a list.

I hope your trip is enjoyable despite the rudeness you experienced.

zebbie

Old 12-22-2007, 04:11 PM

Thanks, deja-

Yeah, the James Madison wasn't cheap, but I only go up once a year to take my GD, so it would have been neat to find a place like that to pamper myself for a couple days.

I will check out all of the spots that you mentioned. Sorry I will miss the candy shop, I read about it and it sounds yummy. I will eat at Town 220 and Icehouse if they are open. The bookstore sounds like fun and I like antiques, too. I know that I won't be bored!

The rudeness thing would not have been a big deal to me if I was traveling with someone else, but when I travel alone, staff is more important. She had me on hold a couple of times and really seemed put off that I asked about the package, even though the e-mail said that they would put a package together for me. I may stop in and speak to them when I go. The two days, with a massage ($80 retail), dinner ($35 with appetiser and a drink from a forum I found) and carriage ride (not sure how much that will be alone) was going to be $675, so the money from my visit would have paid more than a week's salary for her, I'm sure. Instead they will have an empty room, when they could have had a return guest.

Maybe you can tell me- the past two years I've taken everyone out to a restaurant (in Social Circle, I think). It's a big old house with rockers on the front porch, great food, killer dessert buffet, a number of nice, fancy country-type dining rooms. Do you know the name of it? I know that there was quite a wait each time, so want to see if I can make reservations this time. But I can't remember the name of it.

Thank you for all the good info!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:17 PM

HIF

I think you're talking about the Blue Willow -->INN<--

There is also a Blue Willow Restaurant in the Oconee area (please excuse spelling)...but it's the Blue Willow INN in Social Circle I think you mean.

It's a big yellow-ish brick house type restaurant. The plates are blue willow. There is a gift shop in the back. I saw the prettiest one person tea set back there last time I was at the Blue Willow Inn and could KICK myself for not getting it at the time.

The food at the Blue Willow Inn is traditional Southern with some emphasis on 1950's Southern. In fact, having eaten an numerous restaurants featuring Southern food, I like this one the best. One of the reasons I like it is that some traditional Southern style restaurants have all the ambiance of a school cafeteria and I find The Blue Willow Inn nicer.

I guess I was spoiled by my Southern grandmother as I'm a real lover of HOME COOKED (rather than restaurant cooked) Southern food so I don't often go to Southern-style restaurants, but I do like the Blue Willow. We have access to things like a variety of Southern peas and other ingredients for Southern cusine where we live so we generally cook our own and when we go out we mainly try for things we can't get at home.

If there number hasn't changed it's 1-800-552-8813. I got the number from the Georgia tourist booklet, but it's not a current one.

If you're in Social Circle and can't find the restaurant just ask a police officer or anyone, they are used to directing people to it.

BTW, Rutledge is a TINY town about 7 miles from Madison. People on this list have mentioned Yesterday's Cafe (I think that's the name). I've never tried it. That tiny town has a couple of antique shops. The shop there that I liked moved to Madison this last year, but there are still a couple more. When I say TINY town, I mean TINY town.

Greenborough (?) Greenboro (?) is not far from Madison, either. We found it to be a cute town. People on this list know more about that town though.

If you want to mention the rudeness at the James Madison, you might want to do it at the Tourist Visitor's office on the square in Madison. I don't know the actual name of that office, but you can't miss it. That office has LOTS of information about the area as well.

All the best..hope you enjoy your vacation.

Zebbie

PS If you end up at Town 220, you might like the Apple Tar Tain desert (apples and pastry). Can't remember how it's spelled, so I've kind of spelled it phonetically.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:37 AM

40 posts, read 190,458 times
Smile Greensboro!

Greensboro is only about 30 minutes from Madison. It has some great shops (Genuine Georgia, which carries only Georgia artisan/craft made goods. If you love grits, pick up some Red Mule grits there. Also, some very unique and beautiful art, etc; Morning Glory's, Bliss and the Antique Mall are neat spots to shop) For good southern food, try Yesterday Cafe lunch specials and top it off with their famous buttermilk pie (the best!). Also be sure to check out the Pecan Orchard gallery - the young artist there has some great animal sculptures.

If you come across the back roads from Madison, it's a peaceful and nice route.

Have fun!

Old 12-23-2007, 08:06 AM

Thanks Small Town. I took the backroads home last year and saw Madison and other small towns. I always opt for the backroads unless I have time constraints. It is a beautiful part of the country.

deja...what do you mean might like Apple Tar Tain dessert? - LOL!

Old 12-23-2007, 12:59 PM

Small Town South,

Is Yesterday's Cafe in Greensboro or Rutledge?

I thought Yesterdays Cafe was the place in Rugledge where we've never eaten.

We HAVE eaten in a cafe we liked in Greensboro in the main part of town which we liked...maybe that was Yesterday's cafe?

So-o-o many restaurants, so-o-o little memory.

Zebbie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or