U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 PM

5 posts, read 5,512 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone!

My husband and I have an opportunity to move from Texas (and we are both from NC) to either Columbus or Augusta (or Morgantown, WV but that's a question for another day ). The job opportunities are great in either location.

We are trying to figure out what city would be a better fit for us and I would love it if someone with more knowledge of GA could chime in! We have visited both locations but had very minimal time to see much of anything but liked what we saw in both places.

Few things about us:
-no children and not planning on any
-one of us is 27 and the other 31
-we love good, quality food
-enjoy live music, local festivals/events, cultural activities
-love the outdoors (hiking, camping, kayaking, etc.)
-tend to lean towards the left on the political spectrum
-not religious

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:20 PM

4,644 posts, read 6,562,644 times
Columbus has a much larger corporate base so there maybe more job opportunities. If you're medical I would say Augusta. Anything else Columbus. Both offer good outdoor activities. Columbus has a great downtown with music and food festivals going on all throughout the year. It's also home to a huge whitewater rafting course which is really cool. Atlanta is much closer too compared to Augusta. There is some great hiking in Pine Mountain just north of Columbus. The Florida panhandle is close as well. Auburn is close too if you want to catch a college football game. Hope that helps!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 5,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Columbus has a much larger corporate base so there maybe more job opportunities. If you're medical I would say Augusta. Anything else Columbus. Both offer good outdoor activities. Columbus has a great downtown with music and food festivals going on all throughout the year. It's also home to a huge whitewater rafting course which is really cool. Atlanta is much closer too compared to Augusta. There is some great hiking in Pine Mountain just north of Columbus. The Florida panhandle is close as well. Auburn is close too if you want to catch a college football game. Hope that helps!
This is very helpful! Thank you!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:00 PM

130 posts, read 167,562 times
I vote columbus. Great city with good weather. Augusta is pretty much shared with south carolina and doesnt seem to be too nice each time i stop there while passing through. I-85 is a nice interstate as well and you would be that much closer to the gulf beaches!!!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:24 PM

981 posts, read 1,295,145 times
People from Columbus will say Columbus and people from Augusta will tell you Augusta… both are heavily dependent on the military and other government jobs. Both cities, like all cities, have their good and bad areas with each trying to revitalize their downtown districts. Both cities are an hour or two from the beach, mountains and Atlanta. Both cities are within an hour or two from major universities (Auburn and Georgia/South Carolina) if you like college football/etc. Richmond County is Democratic with it's surrounding areas more conservative (pretty standard for most metros today), while I am not aware of Columbus' political leanings.

Augusta's metro is a fair amount larger, Columbus has more corporate headquarters while Augusta has better shopping and dining I would say simply because of the population difference for the areas. So while I don't know what your profession is… that's it in a nutshell. I personally think you would do fine at either place, nothing between the two that is a glaring difference… there's simply Atlanta and then there's the other Georgia cities. I don't mean that in a bad way towards the other metros, there's just no comparison, Atlanta is king.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:56 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,186,204 times
Columbus!

And here's a look at our newest attraction......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4TxFZeQUyM

The Blue Heron Zipline.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM

130 posts, read 167,562 times
Hey! Hyundai just picked columbus to spend billions at.....

Old 09-24-2014, 09:21 AM

33,507 posts, read 30,835,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southman View Post
I vote columbus. Great city with good weather. Augusta is pretty much shared with south carolina and doesnt seem to be too nice each time i stop there while passing through. I-85 is a nice interstate as well and you would be that much closer to the gulf beaches!!!
And Columbus is "pretty much shared" with Alabama. What's your point in bringing this up?

Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,186,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And Columbus is "pretty much shared" with Alabama. What's your point in bringing this up?
Augusta IS shared with South Carolina. North Augusta,South Carolina in case you forgot.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:28 AM
PJA

2,414 posts, read 2,627,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toridl View Post
Hey, everyone!

My husband and I have an opportunity to move from Texas (and we are both from NC) to either Columbus or Augusta (or Morgantown, WV but that's a question for another day ). The job opportunities are great in either location.

We are trying to figure out what city would be a better fit for us and I would love it if someone with more knowledge of GA could chime in! We have visited both locations but had very minimal time to see much of anything but liked what we saw in both places.

Few things about us:
-no children and not planning on any
-one of us is 27 and the other 31
-we love good, quality food
-enjoy live music, local festivals/events, cultural activities
-love the outdoors (hiking, camping, kayaking, etc.)
-tend to lean towards the left on the political spectrum
-not religious

Thank you so much for your help!

Realistically there are not any glaring differences but based on your mini biography it might be easier for you to find more to do in Augusta only because it is a larger metro but as someone pointed out there aren't a lot of huge differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or