Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:27 PM

541 posts, read 1,144,664 times

Advertisements

Bad storms... U mean the ice storm? If yes, the whole city was shut down. But, if you got home before it hit, it was fine, snow here is pretty uncommon, maybe 1X a year, if that, the kids go sledding, everyone stays home from work. Just get to grocery store because people lose their minds and buy all the milk and bread. I wonder does everyone make French toast during snow/ice???

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about bugs, they don't bother me at all. I keep my kitchen clean and have never had a problem with roaches. Now, sometimes when it's very wet, a palmetto bug(big roach) will sometimes enter but I have found if you keep your gutters clean and don't have any damp areas in your house, you'll be fine. Palmetto bugs are not like normal roaches they don't invade your food sources. They seem to be attracted to water. We've had houses w/pools and the palmetto bugs like water. In the house were in now, no pool, no problem w/palmetto bugs.

I'm the type if I find a spider I try not to kill it, cause ya know, spiders eat bugs! I just take a piece of paper and try to relocate it to the outside.

I had a friend that had a lil trouble w/ants, but just keep everything in plastic containers in your pantry and that too can be mimized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 04:08 PM

18 posts, read 36,412 times
Lol! Now I'm gonna think of you every time we have French toast this winter (not making light of serious elements and their consequences)... I'd be more inclined to stock up on those little rolled paper products... and other no-spoil emergency supplies, but everyone has their special needs...

Thanks much; will keep checking on things... covered pool at the Aquatics Center sounds intriguing for additional winter activity... :-)

Old 09-20-2014, 05:39 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,635,959 times
Newnan is a nice little town, and especially the SummerGrove area, if you are a young family looking for other young families. If you are looking for a nice home on a big lake with your own dock, Lake Redwine is the place for you. Kayaking, paddle-boarding, great fishing, etc. It is also in a great school district. Ashley Park shopping area has all the shopping...Dillards, Victoria Secret, Barnes and Noble, the works.

PTC is definitely more "upscale" than Newnan, and has great schools. I raised my kids there. It also has all the usual problems associated with kids that come from affluent homes. The local high schools have huge gold cart parking lots for the kids. We moved out of PTC to Newnan when the kids grew up because it was getting to congested and frankly there are a lot of stuck up people in PTC. Sorry, but its true.

If one of you will be commuting into Atlanta, you can get the GRTA Express bus in Newnan. Big stress-avoider. Also Newnan has a new hospital right in town...the nearest Hospital to PTC is about 12 miles away.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:25 PM

541 posts, read 1,144,664 times
Yes, there will be run on TP too so stock up in snow/ice

OP says only grown children, so will prob not use school system. Commute was not mentioned.

FYI, PTC does have indoor/outdoor pool, the Aquatic Center. It's a bubble that goes on during colder months and bubble comes off April, and then is outdoor pool again.

I know of 2 gyms in area(PTC)that have indoor pools year round. BUT, Newnan has YMCA that has indoor pool. The YMCA is closer to Sharpsburg than Newnan proper. My son swam competively for years & played water polo. I could probably name all the pools in ATL from Gainesville, GA to Columbus, GA and all points in between. The newest, nicest Aquatic Center would go to Cumming, GA.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:08 PM

(Sorry - I tagged onto the OP's thread as it was a perfect fit and thought my queries for the towns would be helpful to her as well... The OP has small children, whereas mine are grown and we don't need to commute. Title of thread and participation is great, and current, so will keep checking for the helpful comments that come in for anyone's related queries and responses for PTC and Newnan areas - thanks all! ~E20)

Old 09-22-2014, 02:53 PM

209 posts, read 276,249 times
PTC native here. Peachtree City was a wonderful place to grow up.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
PTC is an OK place to live. The people who live there generally have a VERY high opinion of themselves, which is more humorous than it is annoying. Politically, the town is overrun by Tea Party zealots who have pretty much run city government (and the budget) into the ground. For years, the city council has been a three-ring circus occupied by a bunch of clowns -- most of whom get tossed out and replaced by new buffoons with every election cycle. More recently, they've refused to fund capital improvements or pay staff a decent wage. PTC's best days are behind it. The only hope at this point is to try and maintain the status quo, which is hard to do when the city is broke and none of the citizens are willing to see their taxes raised.

There's an ugly underbelly to PTC that many people are unwilling to admit. It's very much like Peyton Place. If extreme classicism, keeping up with the joneses, spoiled rotten teenagers, and ladies who do nothing but lunch and play tennis is your idea of paradise -- go for it. Otherwise, Fayetteville and Newnan are far better places to live.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:49 AM

Informative viewpoints, and important to explore underbellies... Still considering these areas, but finding very disparate numbers for average incomes (not just median), taxes, and cannot find substantive capitol development/planning projects in council notes for PTC on the city website, other than the city timeline project... Any other current city infrastructure info/news? Does anyone know why the inventory of homes for sale in the $200k-$275k range (or less) is so high in Newnan, and so low in PTC? Other than schools and cart paths, any other reasons to consider PTC? Thanks much.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:39 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantrss20 View Post
Informative viewpoints, and important to explore underbellies... Still considering these areas, but finding very disparate numbers for average incomes (not just median), taxes, and cannot find substantive capitol development/planning projects in council notes for PTC on the city website, other than the city timeline project... Any other current city infrastructure info/news? Does anyone know why the inventory of homes for sale in the $200k-$275k range (or less) is so high in Newnan, and so low in PTC? Other than schools and cart paths, any other reasons to consider PTC? Thanks much.
Peachtree City is essentially "built out." That means there is very little new home construction going on, though a newly annexed section on town (Wilksmor) will eventually see the addition of several hundred more homes. But those are being held up by the extension of McDuff Parkway and a new bridge over the CSX tracks that will link Hwy 54 West to Hwy 74 North at Kedron Village. Until that happens, the supply of new homes will remain low and thus the price of resales will remain inflated. Worse, many of the PTC homes in the price range you are considering are dated and need upgrades, or much smaller than similar priced homes in Newnan or Fayetteville.

That is the PTC dilemma -- you pay more for less house just to have a 30269 address.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:19 PM

Thanks! Pretty much what I thought... even with some expansions and the 54/74 link, seems PTC will remain compartmentalized both externally and internally, keeping prices of homes, maintenance and goods on the rise, so probably not the best investment for us... Will have to seek another Kaiser area (not Florida) to use our golf cart. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia