Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:18 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic duo View Post
Thank you Aus10 and Born to Roll. I noticed the drive would be a pain. This is also Why I am also considering looking into other healthcare jobs as well. I looked into weather for the area and luckily can say, the snow and ice is nothing compared to here in Iowa. Last year we had terrible weather and snow more then 12 in high and still plowed through to make it to work. A normal 1 hour drive turned into a 1.5 hr drive but we made it. Maybe I will check smaller areas around Athens. I am not a fan of larger cities although I work in one. Working and living are 2 different circumstances. I appreciate all of the help and guidance for areas that may best suit out needs.
That's an excellent point that even with the hilly to mountainous terrain and the higher elevations that the inclement winter weather North Georgia counties north of Atlanta is nothing like the severe winter weather to be found in Northern states like Iowa.

But even though North Georgia's inclement winter weather may be nothing like the severe winter weather that frequently occurs in Northern states like Iowa, a major problem in Georgia is that state and local governments may not necessarily have the same resources or be anywhere near as prepared as the authorities in Northern states like Iowa may be prepared to battle inclement winter weather.

In many places there may not even be any salt or snow plows while other places may only treat a few roads with sand (as opposed to salt or brine like in Northern states) if they even have any sand.

Also it takes very little to disrupt peak-hour traffic flows on major North Metro Atlanta roadways like I-285, I-75, I-575, GA 400, I-85, I-985, etc, during the work week and even on many weekends (particularly during holiday and vacation periods when much Interstate traffic is passing through the Atlanta area on the way to and from vacation and resort areas in Florida and on the Gulf Coast).

Basically on most days all it takes is just a light mist or just the mere presence of emergency lights and major roadways like those mentioned above turn into parking lots during peak hours....Add to that the fact that the 6 million-inhabitant Atlanta metro region is severely lacking in alternative transportation infrastructure (commuter trains and buses) for peak-hour and rush hour commuters for a large major metro area of its size with a severely limited road infrastructure and probable long commutes between Atlanta and outlying parts of the state like the North Georgia Mountains become much more ill-advised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 06:13 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
That's an excellent point that even with the hilly to mountainous terrain and the higher elevations that the inclement winter weather North Georgia counties north of Atlanta is nothing like the severe winter weather to be found in Northern states like Iowa.

But even though North Georgia's inclement winter weather may be nothing like the severe winter weather that frequently occurs in Northern states like Iowa, a major problem in Georgia is that state and local governments may not necessarily have the same resources or be anywhere near as prepared as the authorities in Northern states like Iowa may be prepared to battle inclement winter weather.

In many places there may not even be any salt or snow plows while other places may only treat a few roads with sand (as opposed to salt or brine like in Northern states) if they even have any sand.

Also it takes very little to disrupt peak-hour traffic flows on major North Metro Atlanta roadways like I-285, I-75, I-575, GA 400, I-85, I-985, etc, during the work week and even on many weekends (particularly during holiday and vacation periods when much Interstate traffic is passing through the Atlanta area on the way to and from vacation and resort areas in Florida and on the Gulf Coast).

Basically on most days all it takes is just a light mist or just the mere presence of emergency lights and major roadways like those mentioned above turn into parking lots during peak hours....Add to that the fact that the 6 million-inhabitant Atlanta metro region is severely lacking in alternative transportation infrastructure (commuter trains and buses) for peak-hour and rush hour commuters for a large major metro area of its size with a severely limited road infrastructure and probable long commutes between Atlanta and outlying parts of the state like the North Georgia Mountains become much more ill-advised.

LOL... Not to mention... just because YOU can drive on snow and ice, doesn't mean everyone else can. I grew up in Illinois. People here are not used to it. They really don't need to be.

If your still looking at Clayton and the North Georgia Mountains, I can say that being in the medical field is going to be a major plus for you. North Georgia's Medical facilities seem to be growing with the times as much of it while not only being a major tourist area is also becoming a place that a lot of retiree's are calling home. I would however be hesitant to move prior to finding a job to one of the smaller communities, but once you have the job and move the people have been warm and welcoming....

Old 11-29-2014, 03:52 PM

29 posts, read 44,120 times
I definitely appreciate all the feedback I can get. I am definitely trying to avoid Atlanta now thanks to Born 2 Roll I have 3 interviews lined up for my relocation already for April when we come to visit. We will be in Georgia for a few weeks to view different areas and houses that interest us as the time gets closer. I am hoping to have more opportunities lined up for potential employment come April and hopefully a job come summer. If not the time will be delayed and I will continue working towards it. I have expanded our area a little bit as well which has opened up much more potential and opportunity. I am viewing Jasper, Dahlonega, and still possibly the Clayton area. I have heard great things about a private school in that area. Any input on Jasper and Dahlonega. I have plenty for the clayton area the perks and downfalls. I was told that there are more and better opportunities for both myself and my daughter in the other 2 areas though. Are they friendly, sociable, neighborly, plenty of activities?

Old 11-29-2014, 04:57 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic duo View Post
I definitely appreciate all the feedback I can get. I am definitely trying to avoid Atlanta now thanks to Born 2 Roll I have 3 interviews lined up for my relocation already for April when we come to visit. We will be in Georgia for a few weeks to view different areas and houses that interest us as the time gets closer. I am hoping to have more opportunities lined up for potential employment come April and hopefully a job come summer. If not the time will be delayed and I will continue working towards it. I have expanded our area a little bit as well which has opened up much more potential and opportunity. I am viewing Jasper, Dahlonega, and still possibly the Clayton area. I have heard great things about a private school in that area. Any input on Jasper and Dahlonega. I have plenty for the clayton area the perks and downfalls. I was told that there are more and better opportunities for both myself and my daughter in the other 2 areas though. Are they friendly, sociable, neighborly, plenty of activities?
Jasper and Dahlonega are great towns.

Dahlonega is particularly a great town because it is home to a sizeable college campus of North Georgia State University. Dahlonega also has a very unique historic niche as the site of the nation's first gold rush in 1828 and has an adorable historic town square and downtown area with many activities and events going on year-round.

Both Jasper and Dahlonega are kind of on the rise because of the encroachment of the exurban Atlanta sprawl into the foothills and mountains of North Georgia north of Atlanta.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:00 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
I agree with Born. Both are the perfect mix. Both have enough that you'll really never ever need to go anywhere else.. but close enough to major area's of shopping/dining/etc. Jasper is a quick jaunt down the four-lana (515/I575) to Canton, Woodstock, Kennesaw. And Dahlonega is quick to Cumming/Alpharetta down Ga400 (also known as the Ga. Autobahn though!). And both are quickly accessible to Atlanta itself. As far as natural beauty.. it doesn't get much prettier than Dahlonega. As far as the social aspects of either of them.. I'm in no position to say, because I stay up here farther north and don't get to either of them as often as I used to. But.. I can positively say that moving to North Georgia has been fantastic. The people are friendly, good humored and all around terrific... with one word of advice. Do not... under any circumstance try to change what the good folks here have built over the years. They do dislike newbies who come in all raring to change because.. "back in *insert State name* we did this. There is a reason that we and ultimately you are moving here.. and it's usually to get away from whatever you disliked about your current place of residence. I really can't say I blame them. I'm becoming just as bad about saying it as the long-timers. LOL. Enjoy the quiet.. enjoy the scenery, the easy-going lifestyle and you too will be saying it soon.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:02 PM

29 posts, read 44,120 times
Eh change is not typically my thing. This is the biggest change I have made in 27 years. We are fairly laid back when it comes to others opinions, judgments, lifestyles, ect. Honestly think and act as you will and I will do the same. My daughter n I are a lot like hippies, we go with the flow. We avoid confrontation and just like some good company. So hoping to find an area that people are the same. We don't do too much she likes to have friends to play with and I work, and work, garden lol.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:15 PM

459 posts, read 475,207 times
Been down here by Atlanta for a couple weeks from Iowa. Traffic is terrible and the people are horrible to deal with for the most part. I would not recommend Atlanta or anything close to it. Might want to look at Chattanooga or the Carolina's or at least consider it. They are developing everything and anything insight down here without keeping up with the infrastructure causing major problems and delays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia