U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 11:09 AM

13 posts, read 11,826 times

Advertisements

My wife has health issues in the cold climate where we currently live (Utah). I work from home so I can live/move to anywhere in the country. We like the warm climate that Georgia seems to offer. We were originally looking at Florida but didn't want to mess with the super high insurance costs and pretty regular hurricanes. We're a young family of five. Kids ranging from 10 to 6. We were looking for some guidance on where in GA could fit the bill. Here are the things we're looking at:

Must Haves:
-Winters don't get to freezing (or least only very occasionally)
-Has to have a solid Internet connection
-Home budget should be under $230,000
-Be within an hour of beach
-Safe neighborhood and good schools

Nice Haves:
-Be within 30 minutes of beach
-Have a little elbow on the lot (> .2 acres)

We plan on making a trip in a month to visit GA but we really need to figure out ahead of time the areas to visit. We won't be buying a place until we've been there for at least 6 months. Appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 01:00 PM

6,642 posts, read 6,205,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJoker View Post
My wife has health issues in the cold climate where we currently live (Utah). I work from home so I can live/move to anywhere in the country. We like the warm climate that Georgia seems to offer. We were originally looking at Florida but didn't want to mess with the super high insurance costs and pretty regular hurricanes. We're a young family of five. Kids ranging from 10 to 6. We were looking for some guidance on where in GA could fit the bill. Here are the things we're looking at:

Must Haves:

Nice Haves:

We plan on making a trip in a month to visit GA but we really need to figure out ahead of time the areas to visit. We won't be buying a place until we've been there for at least 6 months. Appreciate any help.
The best place in Georgia for you to look at would be in and around the coastal city of Savannah which is home to a popular Euro-styled Colonial-era historic district and one of the largest and most important seaports on the Eastern Seaboard of North America.

Beaches are a short distance away from Savannah at Tybee Island, Georgia and at the popular seaside resort area of Hilton Head Island in South Carolina.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:13 PM

We've also been looking at areas around Brunswick. Any comments on that area?

Old 12-10-2014, 02:16 PM

5,064 posts, read 7,828,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJoker View Post

Must Haves:

Nice Haves:

It's been over 10 years since FL was hit with a hurricane

Old 12-10-2014, 02:18 PM

Yes, but the insurance rates don't seem to care from what I've seen.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:53 PM

4,516 posts, read 7,655,043 times
Do you care about amenities?

Small town, rural area, large town, etc?

Really, anywhere in coastal Georgia could fit in with what you want...

Old 12-11-2014, 11:21 AM

We don't want to be downtown for sure. We'd like to be within a half hour drive to amenities like restaurants, major stores, etc. We're happy with any size town smaller than large. We're thinking that we'd live in the outskirts of a larger town. The only thing that we have to have is a reliable internet connection.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:03 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,676,278 times
St Marys, Brunswick, and any of the areas around Savannah would fit the bill. The coast of Georgia is the only place fitting your requirement to only occasionally reach freezing and once you get west of I 95, you start losing the ocean influence on the weather which means more nights at freezing in the winter.

The high speed internet wont be an issue in any developed area (such as Brunswick, St Simons, St marys, Savannah) and your requirement for at least 0.2 acres isn't an issue in that part of the state (you rarely see a single family home without at least a quarter acre outside of downtowns, many neighborhoods offer .33 to .75 or even more land if you want it)

All of the above areas are within 30 minutes of required amenities. You mentioned having kids so schools matter, St Marys is fine(Camden County), Brunswick/St Simons and Savannah have areas with good schools and areas best avoided, so research that a bit, but come for a visit.

If you are leaning toward Savannah, post your question on the Savannah board and many there will help. If you are looking at Brunswick or St Marys, there are some regular posters here who could suggest specific neighborboods and schools if you ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or