Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2006, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 20,028 times

Advertisements

Greetings all. Does anyone have any info on the quality of the Rabun County schools? We're heading into the Clayton area with elementary and middle school aged children. How accepting are the locals of new blood? Our path has been long and pleasant so far, and that includes PA to NJ to SC to FL and now on to GA. Thanks for any info. Good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 01:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,189,908 times
The people in Clayton are friendly. How accepting they are of you will probably depend on your ability to blend in and take part in their community. I do understand that their schools are very good. The Clayton/Rabun County community is very involved with their schools, particularly the highschool. I also understand that some of the local Churches sponsor some events for the highschool kids.

There are families in and around Clayton that go back for many generations. It would help if you knew who's who there, I don't mean as in gossip, but understand some of the history of the founding families. In fact, there is a person who posts here once in awhile, "sarahegillespie", who could probably tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Clayton. I would highly recommend corresponding with her if you are going to be living there full time and raising children.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 20,028 times
Default Rabun County Schools

Thank you kindly for the information. Blending is not a problem for us. We enjoy learning and appreciating different cultures. Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:55 AM

131 posts, read 188,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hegs View Post
Thank you kindly for the information. Blending is not a problem for us. We enjoy learning and appreciating different cultures. Thanks again.
I know lots of fine people in Rabun County.If you are looking for a slow life style it is nice.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Majic View Post
I know lots of fine people in Rabun County.If you are looking for a slow life style it is nice.
I live in Clayton, so I can probably give you a basic rundown.
The people here are of several sorts:
"Locals," which to locals means you were born here and preferably have family dating back to at least 1 or two generations that were also born here.
"Blow-ins," who are folks like me who moved here from somewhere else.
"Out-of-towners:" Vacationers, Floridians and other people with part-time homes up here.

In the winter months, mainly only the people who live here hang around. The out-of-towners normally leave and comeback in the summer. Population goes way up in the spring and summer months.

The culture is unique. Some old-timers are still around who were here in the early 20th century. They grew up in a culture when moonshine was for the most part commonplace. Even some of the lawmen here have a history in the moonshine business. Otherwise, crafts have played a big part in the lives of old-timers, including weaving and woodcarving.

Across the board, the education system is very good here. The middle school is one of the best in the state and the other schools regularly win other state honors. Sports are big here. The locals really get behind the kids. Although they don't fair too well a lot of the time, the players seem to have a "won't quit" attitude on the field and court.

Well that's a brief rundown. Hope that helps. - J.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia