Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Georgia city do you think will see the most progress between 2015-2020.
Augusta 7 23.33%
Columbus 12 40.00%
Macon 3 10.00%
Savannah 10 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:50 AM

105 posts, read 149,303 times

Advertisements

Here is my list and why I voted:

1) Columbus - This city just seems to be on a good trajectory due to the growth of Benning and the large corporate base. The city officials seem to be looking well into the future and are thinking outside of the box. I have read where there has been talks of high-speed rail, expansion of the airport, and how much capital is being pushed into the downtown area. The whitewater project sounds like it has been successful. I hope to be able to make a trip this summer to check it out. Columbus just feels like it is ready to take the next step. If they can get a better interstate connection and if high-speed rail ever happens, I think Columbus will take that leap. Their leaders seem to have a better vision than other 2nd tier cities. Kudos to them for preparing to take the city to the next level.

2) Savannah - The airport and port growth is what has me excited. Savannah is really in its own league compared to the other 2nd tier cities. What is there not to like about Savannah? Their seems to be some nice growth in Pooler. Downtown is also undergoing a growth spurt with additional hotels. The airport is what amazes me. I believe Jet Blue just started flying into the city. This is great news that will bring additional tourist to the city. The port project will be huge. Hopefully cruise ships will call Savannah home before long.

3) Augusta - While Augusta has had some layoffs in different areas, I think it is still on the right path. The Cyber Center expansion at Gordon is good, but I don't think it will be as huge as some people think. The city seems to have a good mayor with a good vision. I am sure he is a little upset that Columbus took the #2 spot back. However, the MSA is what makes Augusta. Hopefully Plant Vogle (believe that's the name) will finally get finished. I do like how they have an Iron Man competition. Have a buddy from NYC who is coming down for it.

4) Macon - Their government is what is holding this city back. Crime as well. With them being the logistical centerpiece of Georgia, I would expect more from them. Hopefully things turn around for Macon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 AM

59 posts, read 71,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
Here is my list and why I voted:

1) Columbus - This city just seems to be on a good trajectory due to the growth of Benning and the large corporate base. The city officials seem to be looking well into the future and are thinking outside of the box. I have read where there has been talks of high-speed rail, expansion of the airport, and how much capital is being pushed into the downtown area. The whitewater project sounds like it has been successful. I hope to be able to make a trip this summer to check it out. Columbus just feels like it is ready to take the next step. If they can get a better interstate connection and if high-speed rail ever happens, I think Columbus will take that leap. Their leaders seem to have a better vision than other 2nd tier cities. Kudos to them for preparing to take the city to the next level.

2) Savannah - The airport and port growth is what has me excited. Savannah is really in its own league compared to the other 2nd tier cities. What is there not to like about Savannah? Their seems to be some nice growth in Pooler. Downtown is also undergoing a growth spurt with additional hotels. The airport is what amazes me. I believe Jet Blue just started flying into the city. This is great news that will bring additional tourist to the city. The port project will be huge. Hopefully cruise ships will call Savannah home before long.

3) Augusta - While Augusta has had some layoffs in different areas, I think it is still on the right path. The Cyber Center expansion at Gordon is good, but I don't think it will be as huge as some people think. The city seems to have a good mayor with a good vision. I am sure he is a little upset that Columbus took the #2 spot back. However, the MSA is what makes Augusta. Hopefully Plant Vogle (believe that's the name) will finally get finished. I do like how they have an Iron Man competition. Have a buddy from NYC who is coming down for it.

4) Macon - Their government is what is holding this city back. Crime as well. With them being the logistical centerpiece of Georgia, I would expect more from them. Hopefully things turn around for Macon.
It was my understanding that Fort Benning was downsizing, not growing. Did you see somewhere that they would be growing again? Why don't you think Cyber command will be big?

Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
Savannah -. Hopefully cruise ships will call Savannah home before long.

You haven't been reading the news. After long consideration, Savannah's City Council voted down a cruise ship port in Savannah. There was lots of local opposition (not just mine), and Charleston's experience was not that good. It's over.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:36 PM

105 posts, read 149,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachTree_ View Post
It was my understanding that Fort Benning was downsizing, not growing. Did you see somewhere that they would be growing again? Why don't you think Cyber command will be big?
It could possibly downsize. So can Dobbins, Gordon, and Stewart. Just don't think the Cyber command expansion will have the profound impact that some are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia