Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 8,533 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am a recent college graduate working my first job and have just heard that I will be relocating to either Thomasville, Americus, Cartersville or Waycross from Connecticut. The decision is mine to make so I thought I would come here for some advice. I am 22 years old, outgoing, and will be making a decent salary to support myself. I know absolutely nothing about Georgia so any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding cost of living, weather, activities, night life. Anything at all!

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 09:37 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
So are are you re-loc'ing to GA or SC?

//www.city-data.com/forum/south...reenville.html

Old 01-05-2015, 09:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh12 View Post
Hey all,

I am a recent college graduate working my first job and have just heard that I will be relocating to either Thomasville, Americus, Cartersville or Waycross from Connecticut. The decision is mine to make so I thought I would come here for some advice. I am 22 years old, outgoing, and will be making a decent salary to support myself. I know absolutely nothing about Georgia so any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding cost of living, weather, activities, night life. Anything at all!

Thank you in advance.
I would immediately pass on Waycross and Americus as they are in depressed areas. I do not know enough about Cartersville or Thomasville to say which of those to pick.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Only Cartersville is will be different. The other 3 are considered "south" Georgia, are quite rural in nature, will be very ingrained in the past/good ole boys club and probably NOT what a 22 y/o kid is looking for in life.

Cartersville is sorta between rural and exurban, just to the NW of the Atlanta metro area. Still an hour drive from the heart of the city, but only a few minutes from the trappings of the urban sprawl (movie theaters, malls, restaurants, bars, etc...) This is pretty much the last stop of the Appalachians as well, it gets flat pretty quick going south from there with a mild bump right behind where I'm sitting.

What do you do with your time off though?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 8,533 times
I am an easy going guy, but do enjoy going out every once in a while. I would grabbing some drinks with friends (once I made some), movies, restaurants, etc. I don't need clubs or anything too wild to enjoy my time, but I would prefer not to be trapped in an absolutely desolate place.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Without a doubt, Thomasville. 35 miles to Tallahassee, Fl, Close to the Gulf, much better weather than anything further north.
The adjustments you are going to have make will be the same in all of the towns you mentioned.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:12 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
So I guess between Cartersville & Thomasville, you'd have to choose between the beaches or the mountains.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:11 PM

102 posts, read 382,511 times
Cartersville would be your best option if you need to be close to the city. Cartersville is 40 miles from downtown and less than an hour from venues like the GA Dome.

For nightlife/bars you have options including Sixes Tavern, E Street Tavern, Upper Echelon, Cafe Sol, etc; and once again you are close to the nightlife of Atlanta. Also nearby Marietta has a few options. You also will have activities to do on Lake Allatoona and Red Top Mountain if you are in to outdoor activities.

Cost of living will be the most in Cartersville out of all you listed but when compared to the rest of Metro Atlanta Cartersville is very affordable. You might also want to consider the fact that you are coming from up north. Cartersville will have the most diverse group of people from outside of Georgia compared to the rest. In South Georgia you will really stick out. For weather, all of Georgia is pretty much the same but it does get a little colder in North Georgia compared to South Georgia and you will have the occasional snow during the winter but hey you're from Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia