Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 02:19 PM

515 posts, read 632,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Word
Still way to broad of a statement to be true. Some people do, others don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 02:26 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
Still way to broad of a statement to be true. Some people do, others don't.
LOL. Touche.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:01 PM

149 posts, read 197,278 times
[quote=xDarrylx;38265065]Follow these links for a Macon update since you haters are afraid to visit or realize Macon is on the move.

https://www.planning.org/consultants...RequestID=7130

Macon/Bibb County: Emphasize The Positives - Georgia Trend[

Streetcar possible for Second Street, but would residents use it? | Local & State | Macon.com

Old 02-02-2015, 05:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
[quote=xDarrylx;38281286]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDarrylx View Post
You lost all credibility with this:

Savannah is set in it traditions. New construction is rare.

Of all the cities in this discussion, Savannah is the one with the MOST new development and investment taking place in its historic central core -- and it has been that way for decades. As I type this, there's about half a billion ($500 million) in new retail, hotel, residential and institutional development under way in downtown Savannah -- including the revitalization of Broughton Street, the Plant Riverside hotel and mixed-use project on West River Street, two new hotels on East River Street, and a huge new residential campus for SCAD.

Ah ... yes ... new construction in Savannah is "rare" ...

Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
I agree that the Historic District of Savannah is very charming but once you get outside of that it is really a very different city. Maybe if I could afford one of those nice brownstones off one of the squares I would not mind living in Savannah, but overall I just never felt like it was a city I could really live in because the areas outside of The Historic District did not look very appealing to me. I think if I were to move to the area I would prefer Bluffton, SC and Hilton Head area

Old 02-02-2015, 06:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
I agree that the Historic District of Savannah is very charming but once you get outside of that it is really a very different city. Maybe if I could afford one of those nice brownstones off one of the squares I would not mind living in Savannah, but overall I just never felt like it was a city I could really live in because the areas outside of The Historic District did not look very appealing to me. I think if I were to move to the area I would prefer Bluffton, SC and Hilton Head area
I seriously doubt you've spent much time exploring Savannah outside of the Historic District. Savannah has many very beautiful, charming and historic neighborhoods well beyond the 2.5-square mile National Historic Landmark District. The most desirable historic residential neighborhoods in all of Savannah are Ardsley Park and Chatham Crescent -- south of Victory Drive, and areas that I'd bet my next paycheck you've never even heard of. And there are others (Gordonston, Habersham Woods, Thomas Square, Daffin Park) as well as all the whole islands / waterfront neighborhoods that TRULY define Savannah living. One visit to Isle of Hope, for example, and you will understand what makes life here such an intoxicating and special thing. There is a Savannah LIFESTYLE that the other 2nd-tier cities simply can't come close to matching. And that's what really makes living in Savannah so unique.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:19 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How can you make such a broad, sweeping statement like that? I'm sure that's true for some people who live in those cities.
That's why I put the words "no one" in quotes. It's a way of making a broad and sweeping statement and acknowledging that it is a generalization.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I seriously doubt you've spent much time exploring Savannah outside of the Historic District. Savannah has many very beautiful, charming and historic neighborhoods well beyond the 2.5-square mile National Historic Landmark District. The most desirable historic residential neighborhoods in all of Savannah are Ardsley Park and Chatham Crescent -- south of Victory Drive, and areas that I'd bet my next paycheck you've never even heard of. And there are others (Gordonston, Habersham Woods, Thomas Square, Daffin Park) as well as all the whole islands / waterfront neighborhoods that TRULY define Savannah living. One visit to Isle of Hope, for example, and you will understand what makes life here such an intoxicating and special thing. There is a Savannah LIFESTYLE that the other 2nd-tier cities simply can't come close to matching. And that's what really makes living in Savannah so unique.
Exactly. If you hadn't said it, I would've specifically highlighted Isle of Hope and areas like Wormsloe. Heck, even areas tourists NEVER venture except to get to Tybee... Wilmington Island has absolutely gorgeous waterfront and Wilmington Island Road, in particular, is a lovely, quiet drive along a road paralleling the Intracoastal Waterway.

Not just the historic district, but the Savannah area in general still has loads of character. Yes, there are exceptions I'm sure you're referring to like Abercorn south of DeRenne, but there are just as many lovely areas as there are sprawly areas.

This is why I feel so strongly about Pooler's development and their lack of ability to see what's coming. Anyway, that's another subject altogether...

Old 02-02-2015, 09:41 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
as far as this topic goes I will give Savannah top prize for its downtown core.
One thing I will say is that the road infrastructure needs to be updated.. Driving on some of the roads you feel like you are more in a small city. The I/95 - I16 interchange needs to be reconfigured. Driving down I95 you would never know you were going thru a city the size of Savannah.. it's just kind of unimpressive.. entering from US 17 almost feels like you are going thru the middle of nowhere until all of a sudden you go over The Talmadge Bridge (which is impressive) but only 2 lanes.
River Street always struck me to be nothing but a lot of overpriced tourist spots

Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
as far as this topic goes I will give Savannah top prize for its downtown core.
One thing I will say is that the road infrastructure needs to be updated.. Driving on some of the roads you feel like you are more in a small city. The I/95 - I16 interchange needs to be reconfigured. Driving down I95 you would never know you were going thru a city the size of Savannah.. it's just kind of unimpressive.. entering from US 17 almost feels like you are going thru the middle of nowhere until all of a sudden you go over The Talmadge Bridge (which is impressive) but only 2 lanes.
River Street always struck me to be nothing but a lot of overpriced tourist spots
Agreed, mostly. The drive south on 17 before you get to the bridge is quite nice (the view is, at least) 5 minutes before entering Georgia. You can see a few of the taller buildings including the Westin and the First Union Bank building on Johnson Square (That building has to have a new name, I just can't think of what it is at this point) along with the bridge itself.

Regarding US 17, South Carolina will finally be widening it within the next several years. They're doing the Back River bridge now.

Yes, 16 and 95 can be very misleading and it really is personally disappointing to not see anything until you're right there on top of downtown. Widening is needed on 16 as well as intersection reconfiguration of 16 & 95 with lighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia