Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:42 PM

149 posts, read 1,097,850 times

Advertisements

We moved to Winder from the Great White North (Maine) in August. We actually live in a new subdivision half-way between Winder and Statham. Winder's not a bad place to live, but it's not the greatest either.

Housing is relatively cheap. Property taxes are cheap. Utilities are cheap. People are friendly, and it's really quiet. (At least, it's really quiet in our subdivision, out in the middle of the country.)

Schools are a mixed bag. We love Statham Elementary, but our experiences at Winder-Barrow Middle School were not as pleasant. Our son at WBMS was astonished at how rude and disrespectful most of the students were towards the teachers. He's my oldest, so I can't compare 7th graders at WBMS with 7th graders in Maine, but it seems like the 7th graders at our previous middle school were much better behaved than the 7th graders at WBMS.

For what it's worth, there's a new high school (Appalachee HS), middle school (Haymon-Morris MS), and elementary school built on the west side of Winder, close to a new Home Depot. If I could do it all over again (and stay in Winder), I'd probably move over there. (I realize there's no guarantee the kids at that school would be any better. A new school does not guarantee better behaved kids. )

Traffic in Winder is bad. It's not Atlanta-bad, of course. The problem is that there are too many cars passing thru Winder. I don't really think it's Winder's fault -- it seems to be a victim of its own success. If nobody was moving into Winder, traffic would probably be really light.

All that said -- I think I'd maybe move to Athens or Bogart instead. Athens has better shopping and easier traffic (except on UGA game days) than Winder. Property taxes in Athens are higher in Clarke county than in Barrow county, so another option would be Bogart in Oconee county. Athens also seems to be nicer and cleaner than Winder, but.. what do I know? I've only been here a few months. Georgia might have a better perspective on this than I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 31,276 times
Thank you so much for another response that was informative.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpalace View Post
We moved to Winder from the Great White North (Maine) in August. We actually live in a new subdivision half-way between Winder and Statham. Winder's not a bad place to live, but it's not the greatest either.

Housing is relatively cheap. Property taxes are cheap. Utilities are cheap. People are friendly, and it's really quiet. (At least, it's really quiet in our subdivision, out in the middle of the country.)

Schools are a mixed bag. We love Statham Elementary, but our experiences at Winder-Barrow Middle School were not as pleasant. Our son at WBMS was astonished at how rude and disrespectful most of the students were towards the teachers. He's my oldest, so I can't compare 7th graders at WBMS with 7th graders in Maine, but it seems like the 7th graders at our previous middle school were much better behaved than the 7th graders at WBMS.

For what it's worth, there's a new high school (Appalachee HS), middle school (Haymon-Morris MS), and elementary school built on the west side of Winder, close to a new Home Depot. If I could do it all over again (and stay in Winder), I'd probably move over there. (I realize there's no guarantee the kids at that school would be any better. A new school does not guarantee better behaved kids. )

Traffic in Winder is bad. It's not Atlanta-bad, of course. The problem is that there are too many cars passing thru Winder. I don't really think it's Winder's fault -- it seems to be a victim of its own success. If nobody was moving into Winder, traffic would probably be really light.

All that said -- I think I'd maybe move to Athens or Bogart instead. Athens has better shopping and easier traffic (except on UGA game days) than Winder. Property taxes in Athens are higher in Clarke county than in Barrow county, so another option would be Bogart in Oconee county. Athens also seems to be nicer and cleaner than Winder, but.. what do I know? I've only been here a few months. Georgia might have a better perspective on this than I.
Pretty much on the spot Pink.
Winder is a victim of it's own success. Barrow does suffer from a poor infrastructure. The growth hit quick in Gwinnett from 250,000 to 700,000 in 10 years. I think Barrow thought being 42 miles from Atlanta that it would not catch Gwinnettitis. Barrow today is growing as fast as a tick on a bloodhound!

The main traffic culprit is Broad Street towards 8. Much I think is many folks from Jackson County coming down on the weekend from 211 trying to avoid the Mall of Georgia gridlock and hit the Walmart and other shopping centers in Winder.

As far as schools, Winder has had some bad press in regard to Winder Barrow HS with kids, but then again, I can't think of many schools anymore where disrespect is not uncommon. Between today's me generation and the overall example of failure, our government school system, I don't see much improvement on the horizon. The other issue there is the growth again, teacher student ratio's are probably much different than in Maine

I personally like the area. I do live in Gwinnett due to lower tax rates in property and the wonderful car tax. It's not that much cheaper though.
Like anyplace else in the South, just take your time and look. Don't rush into the first thing you see. Neighborhoods are hot and cold. Don't think of Georgia as a bargain as some folks do moving here. In the dirty South you will get what you pay for as with anything else.

To much bargain can get you a little to much Banjo!
Make sure you check under the hood or you may get Da Hood!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 PM

64 posts, read 710,094 times
Yeah Georgia, NYC is the most racist place. I am german and the Italians, PR, Blacks, Irish have their own neighborhoods and you had better not cross one of them in their hood. Winder is a cakewalk in comparison.

Bethlehem is a nice community. Winder's outskirts make for pretty scenery.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 12,601 times
Smile Fellow Yankee

Hey Sandra,

My family moved to Georgia 2 1/2 yrs. ago, from New Jersey. Originally we lived in Gwinnett County. 4 months ago moved to Winder (less traffic, quiet). The subdivision I live in is only 3 miles off I 85, so it's not even near downtown Winder. I have not seen any evidence of racism towards any races or yankees! I am originally from Brooklyn, New York....pretty much raised in NJ......As long as you can handle people thinking "we" talk funny .
You do need to do research on the different schools in Barrow County. A good site to go to is: http://reportcard2006.gaosa.org/k12/default.aspx
By the way I have great friends in NJ that are Italian and my brother-in-law is Puerto Rican. Of course I didn't say I liked him..... .....just kidding..(and he lives in Jackson County, Jefferson, Ga.) Oh, and I don't belong to a Baptist Church either.....born and raised Catholic but now go Non-Denominational.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 10,299 times
Default Winder GA - A good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraD View Post
I and my husband are native New Yorkers and two years ago moved to South Florida. I'm not too excited with it here and we're looking into Winder, GA. A friend at my husbands job just bought a house there. My job would be easy to transfer and my husbands too so that's not a problem. Where I'm a bit concerned is that my husband is Italian and I'm Hispanic. I'm affaid of rascism toward us and my daughter (4) in school. I'm also expecting another child.
Please respond I need to know if this is a good move?
My name is Annmarie and I also am hispanic. Although my husband is not italian he looks likes one. I am a Pastor who came from NY (Long Island) trying to fiind a region to build a Non-Denominational multicultural church. I found Winder. Winder is a wonderful growing city. If you do not mind seeing cattles and sheeps across from beuatiful housing. Winder is changing and is losing the old ways which children love. But in the m meanitime they are there. Very country still in most places. I think is agreat place to race a family with good morals

Winder has a lot to offer for your money and Winder has wonderful schools as well. I happen to enjoy the manners in children as they are taught here to respect and be contributing citizens, Don't be concern about people. Find your way where God leads you and your family. I say to you go for it. Winder is very large.

Any where you live mostly depends on who you are. Racism is a frame of mind. There is racism in every state and in every city. We are New Yorkers yes, but I live in LI one of the most racist places to live in. I did fine for 15 years and my children are of dark complection although Puerto Ricans.

Should you decide to go for it my church is cornerstoneof Hope Ministries located at 49 N. Jackson Street Winder GA 30680

Last edited by jxu66; 06-22-2007 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 23,158 times
Hello,

FYI, my Fiance has lived in Winder, GA for 7 years now. It is not until now that he is selling his house because I currently live in Paulding County. So we are planning on selling his house and he will move to Paulding County, since my house is larger with a basement for growth. In all of the years of him staying there he has never had any racial problems. I think if you are looking for a really small city that is totally opposite to New York then Winder would be a good place at least a starting point. By the way I have seen all races of children playing in his subdivision.

If you have any additional questions regardsing Winder, GA send me a Private Message.

Wish you well in your endeavors.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 9,958 times
I have lived in Winder since 1977 and am a southern-born white person. My family has been here for a very long time (in Georgia). For the most part people are very nice here and are welcoming to all races. I live on a street with blacks, hispanics and whites and we all get along fine. Honestly, as long as people in neighborhoods are decent friendly people who keep their grass cut, don't do drugs and keep their music down they will be accepted for who they are (that goes for whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, etc.). I think Winder is a very nice place (except for traffic in downtown Winder in the afternoon).

Old 09-15-2007, 08:09 AM

65 posts, read 215,955 times
I write this message for anyone that is considering Winder as a new place to live. I worked in Winder for years and it is a small very religious, racist little town. The two largest places to work are Walmart and the large car dealership in the middle of town and I wouldn't recommend anyone working for either. This is evedienced by just driving through town and looking at the KKK emblems painted on the water towers there. The spend thousands of dollars on religious billboards promoting local churches there but can't clean up the water towers. Along hwy 29/8 going to Athens is just a fast food route where no large business other than the two mentioned have ever prospered. There is government housing and a large rental district that runs aside this that is just a bad area to be in. If you want to move to the Winder area stay close to the I85 end. There is Auburn, Houshton, and the Chateau Elan areas that are a lot nicer with better schools. Winder schools are bad. The downtown district up Hwys 53/11 is where they are starting to make change, but it will be a decade before most of this area will change. I would pick an area somewhere around Winder, no matter what nationality you are. It might be a good place to visit to do some business, but if you have children and are planning to move there, I would suggest you think again...

Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 PM

65 posts, read 370,759 times
Default Traffic a concern?

Hope you're not too worried about traffic. Winder has horrible traffic issues, especially on Ga Hwy 11, both inside and outside of downtown. This happens even when it is not rush hour, and red lights intersecting with the nearby expressway, GA 316, can have traffic backed up pretty far as well.

A bypass is in the works, but who knows how long it could take to get it completed, and the traffic on May St. is still pretty bad, and the bypass wouldn't help that any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia