U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:29 AM

5 posts, read 28,436 times

Advertisements

I and my husband are native New Yorkers and two years ago moved to South Florida. I'm not too excited with it here and we're looking into Winder, GA. A friend at my husbands job just bought a house there. My job would be easy to transfer and my husbands too so that's not a problem. Where I'm a bit concerned is that my husband is Italian and I'm Hispanic. I'm affaid of rascism toward us and my daughter (4) in school. I'm also expecting another child.
Please respond I need to know if this is a good move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 10:13 PM

64 posts, read 677,246 times
Winder is not bad, those folks won't even be able to tell the difference between Italian and Mexican.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:49 AM

627 posts, read 2,656,690 times
I like Winder, it is a great area. North GA is Beautiful!

Old 11-06-2006, 05:51 AM

5 posts, read 15,755 times
There are many hispanics in the area but don't expect the old southern whites to play with your children unless you make an effort to belong to their churches and act like you owe them.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:08 PM

I'm not so sure of advice from someone that has a user name like
(ga is racist to koreans). Is this true? Rasicm is something that I never had to deal with. Being born and raised in New york you tend to get along with all nationalities. I will not act like I owe anyone anything without having had reason to do so. I will be a part of a Catholic Church of which I am. It seems crazy to be someone that you're not just to fit in. If that's the case I'll look elsewhere. It's sad to know of places like this of being real.
Thank you for your honesty....
Sandra

Old 11-06-2006, 03:42 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,958,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraD View Post
(ga is racist to koreans). Is this true? Rasicm is something that I never had to deal with. Being born and raised in New york you tend to get along with all nationalities. I will not act like I owe anyone anything without having had reason to do so. I will be a part of a Catholic Church of which I am. It seems crazy to be someone that you're not just to fit in. If that's the case I'll look elsewhere. It's sad to know of places like this of being real.
Sandra
Don't let one persons views make a decision for you.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:52 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,510,255 times
Winder isn't New York, South Florida, or even Atlanta. The people I know from Winder are very southern, and would probably not be very accepting of you right off. If you stayed there long enough, got active in a church, and made a real effort to make some friends, some people would reciprocate, but it will be a process. The way you act, talk, look and think will be very different from what these folks are used to. The fact that you don't seem to understand that you can't always just 'fit in' in some of the smaller towns in the South, tells me that you are not prepared for this move at all.

You aught to spend a little time there before you make that move.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:20 PM

I know this is a small town and do understand that I would have to make an effort to get to know people that are different than I am. What I mean about fitting in is not the same as changing the person I am...and that I am not willing to do. The reason I posted this thread is to get input from some people that actually live there opposed to people that don't and have just heard stories. I will go there to visit but I'm sure it will not be the same as actually living there and I don't have the option to stay months at a time to find out. You know, not all Puerto Ricans are like Rosie Perez. We don't all have accents or all act like we're ghetto.
What I am prepared for is a better upbringing for my daughter and child to be. What I'm protective of is people saying in advance to me that my children may not feel or be wanted because of their race and that is what concerns me. Nothing wrong with finding things out first ahead of time and not have been warned.
I do apreciate the advice....Thank you

Old 11-06-2006, 04:44 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,534,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaisracisttokoreans View Post
There are many hispanics in the area but don't expect the old southern whites to play with your children unless you make an effort to belong to their churches and act like you owe them.
What about the old Southern Koreans, considering there is a very large Korean Church right in Winder close to the WalMart Rt 8

Winder is fine. Now the WalMart is rather entertaining on the weekends

Old 11-06-2006, 04:53 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,534,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraD View Post
Sandra
As an FYI, there is also Catholic Church in Winder, also on Rt8/29.

I live about 10 miles from Winder, been there many times. Heck, I usually shop there on Saturday's so I don't have to fight the nuts at the Mall of GA.
I have yet to have anyone disown me because I am not Baptist, nor all that religious.
Georgia is very diverse, so is most of the South and actually not as seperate at NYC. In all my travels, NYC is the most segregated place I have ever lived close to. This neighborhood that neighborhood, the black section, the jewish section, the Irish section, etc. I think Alphabet in SE Manhat is the most diverse place in the boro's.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia