U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:24 AM

43 posts, read 203,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
I guess most of us in Florida are fed up with everyone moving here from every state, not to mention Mexico! I am right behind all of you! Was thinking Ga too, but now I am not so sure. Too many moving thetre too. Before long, it will be Florida.
This is a true statement. Look at what you are trying to get away from, and look a what you are moving to. It may be good for short term, but GA is quickly becoming overcrowded. Overcrowding means more schools, road improvements, === more taxes. Iv'e been here for 2years, and my taxes have rose considerably already. We are heading back home to the Northeast soon, and this is not everything that people make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,525,868 times
Georgia overcrouded? I guess that depends on what you call overcrouded. Other than Greator Atlanta, there's pleanty of room left in Georgia. It's the largest state east of the Mississippi. Yes, it is larger than Florida! And, if you eliminated all of the Greator Atlanta area, it would be considered a fairly sparsely populated state.

Not that I want more people moving to Georgia. But it's far from a crouded state. Connecticuit is a crouded state.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:57 PM

169 posts, read 478,592 times
Default Still Plenty of Room

There's still plenty of room in GA. It's a very easy place to live. Probably easier than Florida but unfortunately no beach.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:56 AM

15 posts, read 46,974 times
Default Leaving from Florida to Georga

Hi, I'm also thinking about leaving Florida. I moved to Florida from NY with my family about five years ago. Now we are looking into getting out and going to Georgia. It's sad to say that we can't afford it anymore... Between the taxes and insurance you barely have enough $$$ to feed the family. I have friends that moved to Gwinneth county and love it. Any suggestions on areas we should or should not consider????

Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,134,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty2 View Post
Hi, I'm also thinking about leaving Florida. I moved to Florida from NY with my family about five years ago. Now we are looking into getting out and going to Georgia. It's sad to say that we can't afford it anymore... Between the taxes and insurance you barely have enough $$$ to feed the family. I have friends that moved to Gwinneth county and love it. Any suggestions on areas we should or should not consider????
I moved from Florida to Georgia and eventually moved back to Florida. Yes, the houses are more expensive in Florida but Georgia has it's drawbacks with state tax , higher utilities, longer commutes so more on gas, etc. Atlanta is overcrowded, traffic horrible, and hard to get around with all the streets named similarly (i.e. peachtree ave, peachtree street, peachtree blvd, etc). Atlanta does offer a thriving social scene which you won't find in other parts of Georgia. You can make the transition but I would consider more reasons than the housing costs. You might be surprised by how similar you will wind up from a total cost perspective. If you really want to get a big bang for your buck on houses - go to Texas. (I live there now). You can easily by a 3 or 4 BR house in a nice area for $200-$300K and there is no state tax. The property taxes are a bit high and don't expect homes to appreciate like they do in Florida.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:49 AM

No offense, but you can't begin to compare the beauty of N. Georgia to Texas. Other than portions of east Texas, I find Texas to be a rather ugly state. It's mostly sand, rock and dirt. No real mountains with lush green forests and crisp rivers and streams.

I could live in Oklahoma for less money too, if its all about finding a cheap place to live.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 AM

1,088 posts, read 5,916,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
No offense, but you can't begin to compare the beauty of N. Georgia to Texas. Other than portions of east Texas, I find Texas to be a rather ugly state. It's mostly sand, rock and dirt. No real mountains with lush green forests and crisp rivers and streams.
Georgia doesn't have real mountains either, just bigger hills.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Georgia doesn't have real mountains either, just bigger hills

There's probably some truth to that. Well, I'd say a hill that's at least 2,500 feet might be a mountain. What about "Stone Mountain"? That's one odd looking hunk of rock for a hill.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 AM

24 posts, read 92,268 times
Hello Firstgradeteacher
I am also a Florida teacher considering a move to Georgia. The state of Georgia has a base salary that all of its counties must pay teachers. ( Florida does not have this) Then each individual county pays more based on its ability to do so. You can go on any of the counties' school district websites and they will have their salaries posted there for you to see. I teach in Palm Beach County Florida. It's a tough county to teach in... excessive accountability and paperwork! I have a good friend who just moved to Forsyth county last year. She got a job with ease. She has the exact same level of experience I do and is making $6,000 more a year. If you have a Masters (which I am working on now ) in Palm Beach County you make a ridiculously low $3,000 more per year. In Forsyth county, Georgia you make $8,000 more a year. So if I move to Forsyth county I can make $11,000 more a year! Yes.. they have a state tax and yes some things may be more expensive BUT $11,000 a year more expensive? AND the school system is ranked 16th in the nation. Florida is ranked 31st for quality of education. They respect and appreciate their teachers and students more in Georgia. AND my husband can make more in his profession too ( if we can find jobs). Our problem is that we have a beautiful lakefront property we purchased several years ago outside Gainesville, Florida with the intention of moving there. My middle son now lives in the Gainesville, Florida area because he thought we were moving there. My youngest son will graduated next year and has to attend a Florida univiersity to get his Bright Futures Scholarship ( hopefully UF).... we don't know what to do but economically we sure would be better off in Georgia because wages in Northern Florida are not good. I would actually have to take a $5, 000 cut in pay from PBC to Putnam county, Florida. We are flying to Georgia for the second time this summer to finalize looking for a piece of property in Lumpkin county ( north Georgia) so that if we decide to move there after next year, we'll have already gotten some land to build the house on. Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:05 PM

15 posts, read 96,459 times
Wow, I am a retired Miami Dade school teacher with an EDS and I didn't make 8,000 a year extra! Good move rkkb80!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia