U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:26 PM

276 posts, read 1,043,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryPhoenix View Post
I've been lurking a bit, decided recently to look north, also moving from FL, possibly to GA, don't want to go to far from family.

Regarding this post, I don't know if simcity countryboy lives in GA, but I would think he does, in or near Dallas, GA, since his homepage is for Hardy Family Ford, in Dallas, GA.

I can understand GA residents not wanting to take in the whole state of Florida, but there's no need to be, well, rude about it, which "Keep on going don't stop in georgia!" would be.
So true...GOD made HIS county for ALL of us...To live in peace and harmony together....There is plenty of room for all of us no matter where we choose to live. Just have to remember to respect the land, its people and culture/lifestyle(that goes without saying) Respect is KEY...Have a blessed day...Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 08:16 PM

15 posts, read 57,785 times
Thumbs up We roll on Wednesday

Tonight is my last night at work here in Broward County. On Wednesday Mayflower is packing and moving us to a new home in Georgia. Hurricane Wilma destroyed our condo complex in 2005 and the community was never rebuilt. I believe that the insurance company, Arch Specialties, may have taken as long as 8 months following Wilma to come to the table and pay any damages. By that point, missing roofs had resulted in 100% damage to interiors. After working 6 full days a week for years I and my husband decided to dump the condo (unlivable since Wilma) as junk to a developer buying wreckage in South Florida. We didn't get much but we got out from under.

We decided to move to Augusta. My husband is 75 and has had melanoma several times and needs the VA hospital there. We paid cash for a 3/2 cottage in the country ($21,000 down from $89,000) and we've 3/5 acre. The climate is hugely better and the taxes are $122 a year. Insurance is less than $500. (No hurricane.) For the first time we'll have choices and our own house and yard in which to carry them out. In a few short years I'll be retired myself so I don't mind taking a 50% pay cut to (perhaps) clerk in a store or suchlike. It will be a far more peaceful and less expensive life. And road ragers don't swear at you to get out of their way if you don't drive 80 mph....they smile and wave.

Be it Georgia, North or South Carolina, Tennessee, or the frozen North Country, bail out of Florida as soon as you can and go elsewhere. Scientists predict much of FL will be under the sea in a few decades and, if you move to TN you still might end up with oceanfront property when that happens.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,469 times
Hey thanks, Looking and Disgusta. I agree that the market is down now, and the banks will have to be stupid to keep financing the builders at some point..... Yes slash the prices and everyone can come in and buy buy buy!!!! Then when the market goes back up, everyone is happy!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,264 times
Smile I have been a Miami, Florida resident for the past 20 years and I have seen how expensive Miami, Florida is getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
I moved from Florida to Georgia and eventually moved back to Florida. Yes, the houses are more expensive in Florida but Georgia has it's drawbacks with state tax , higher utilities, longer commutes so more on gas, etc. Atlanta is overcrowded, traffic horrible, and hard to get around with all the streets named similarly (i.e. peachtree ave, peachtree street, peachtree blvd, etc). Atlanta does offer a thriving social scene which you won't find in other parts of Georgia. You can make the transition but I would consider more reasons than the housing costs. You might be surprised by how similar you will wind up from a total cost perspective. If you really want to get a big bang for your buck on houses - go to Texas. (I live there now). You can easily by a 3 or 4 BR house in a nice area for $200-$300K and there is no state tax. The property taxes are a bit high and don't expect homes to appreciate like they do in Florida.
The housing has increased substantially and although you don't have state tax in Florida, you do have long commutes, for example, try living in Kendall (community in Miami, Florida) and commute to Downtown, Miami every day - you are talking about 1-1/2 hour each way. Pretty crazy! Gas prices are way hight too and utilities also. The way I think about it is if I can save in my housing at least $2,000 a month I am ahead of the game. Utilities, state tax and gas can amount to that month on a monthly basis.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 AM

1,772 posts, read 4,081,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyisas2251 View Post
The housing has increased substantially and although you don't have state tax in Florida, you do have long commutes, for example, try living in Kendall (community in Miami, Florida) and commute to Downtown, Miami every day - you are talking about 1-1/2 hour each way. Pretty crazy! Gas prices are way hight too and utilities also. The way I think about it is if I can save in my housing at least $2,000 a month I am ahead of the game. Utilities, state tax and gas can amount to that month on a monthly basis.
That sounds like present day Atlanta!

What I find ironic in this thread is that all these people eager to move to Atlanta don't recognize that by virtue of moving there they are just transplanting the higher cost of living to their new city, as Atlanta has gotten overcrowded, commuting is pretty bad and property is no longer "affordable" by southern standards. Supply (land) is fixed, so when demand goes up, price goes up. That's econ 101 stuff folks. I loved the Atlanta of 1998-2000, but nowadays I'm not sure it's that appealing. I'd still choose to live there over Miami, I agree there I guess.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:13 AM

6 posts, read 40,296 times
Valdosta is a nice area. We have a lot of growth in the area and some wonderful homes on the market. Taxes are fair as well as insurance. If you would like more info on the area, email me directly.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,773 times
I Guess I Am Feeling What The Majority Of You All Are, I Too Am Sick Of Florida And Really Leaning Towards Ga, But Why Not Stop In Georgia Inquiring Minds Want To Know.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:39 PM

16 posts, read 72,282 times
Sherry33,

I totally disagree with the comment above from Simcity countryboy! I am not a single mother but I have been in the past, I too have a son with several medical problems.

I was born and raised in Miami, our last home was in Pembroke Pines, my husband and I both worked and it simply became impossible to live in Florida. The cost just for the insurance on the house was $7,000 per year and the taxes were $6,800. All we did was work, but there was no quality of life for our kids.

We chose to move to Jefferson GA. We bought a 6 bedroom 3 bath home for 168K. It is located in one of the best school areas in North GA and my son is doing excellent. My insurance is now $321 per year and my taxes are $2000 per year. The home sits on 1 acre....

I currently have 3 single moms in my community. They each work and are able to afford their homes. One of them is a teacher at Jefferson City Academy which is for grades 3-5.

Leaving my family behind was very hard to do and still is very hard for me at times, but I would do it all over again if I had to. It was the best thing for us and moreso for my 2 kids.

Do your homework, visit GA and see if it's a good fit.

Personally, I think it is 100% better than Florida anytime!

Good Luck

Last edited by betnmike; 12-18-2007 at 09:01 PM..

Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 AM

276 posts, read 1,043,051 times
I totally agree, I moved to NW GA from Naples Fl in Oct. We moved for economic and quality of life reasons. We visited GA first and really got a feel for the cities/towns and went to see homes and open houses as well as apartment complexes*short term til we buy a home* and we were sold from the minute we got here, people are(were) friendly, family orientated, schools while not perfect(where are they) they are good and the school my daughter goes to happens to be a NI(Needs inprovement status) but she is doing very well,. One class has been an ongoing problem with cirriculumn but the teacher and team has been very helpful and more than willing to help and work with us and now my daughter is doing well in this class as well. The area itself is very much like spring is the north if that helps. It is cooler(honestly sometimes COLD at night and occasionally day time) during the current winter months but not rigidly cold and NO SNOW typically) and the days are comfortable with a sweater if you like, I usually just wear jeans and t shirt...it is nice in the summer months, it is different than FL where it is sunny all the time here in GA thats not always the case...winter or summer...but I love the change is seasons and I think the fall here is spectacular and I cant say enough about quality of life...Church is big here in GA which I happen to appreciate very much but I have not found what alot of people talk of with pushy "church people" we have visited a couple of churches and all were very nice, friendly and welcoming. We settled happily on the third one we checked out and we love it. Our daughter (11) is very active and loves it as well.
We live in Snellville and like it here very much, its convienient to almost everything the state has to offer(within reason of course) and not far from ATL but far enough that it is not in your back yard lol...We are looking to buy soon and we are concentrating on Grayson for many reasons but schools and friends that live there as well as what is available for your dollar is very good there as in most of GA as far as homes go. Taxes and insurance are minimal compared to FL. My taxes and insurance here in GA will be very close to what I paid(a little less actually) in NH when we owed in 2002.
Check out the area and see what works for you. GA is a great state and my only regret is that I dont get to see my brother and Dad like I could at anytime b4 and my son as they are all in FL but most are moving here in the summer and there is always a good day for a long drive home(lol) or a short plane ride...
Worst thing in my opinion about GA(Atl specifically) is there is a traffic issue to say the least and not enough Dunkin Donuts and to many Starbucks...I am a DD girl lol...Seriously its a great place to live and raise a family. I would check it out for sure..Good Luck...Need any help drop a note and Ill try to help in any way I can...
Take Care,
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by betnmike View Post
Sherry33,

I totally disagree with the comment above from Simcity countryboy! I am not a single mother but I have been in the past, I too have a son with several medical problems.

I was born and raised in Miami, our last home was in Pembroke Pines, my husband and I both worked and it simply became impossible to live in Florida. The cost just for the insurance on the house was $7,000 per year and the taxes were $6,800. All we did was work, but there was no quality of life for our kids.

We chose to move to Jefferson GA. We bought a 6 bedroom 3 bath home for 168K. It is located in one of the best school areas in North GA and my son is doing excellent. My insurance is now $321 per year and my taxes are $2000 per year. The home sits on 1 acre....

I currently have 3 single moms in my community. They each work and are able to afford their homes. One of them is a teacher at Jefferson City Academy which is for grades 3-5.

Leaving my family behind was very hard to do and still is very hard for me at times, but I would do it all over again if I had to. It was the best thing for us and moreso for my 2 kids.

Do your homework, visit GA and see if it's a good fit.

Personally, I think it is 100% better than Florida anytime!

Good Luck

Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 14,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rox011 View Post
Me and my husband are also considering leaving Miami for GA. It's very hard leaving everyone behind. We thought of Canton Ga
Check into Powder Spring.... Love it hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia