Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,018 times

Advertisements

First off, thank you for taking the time to read this... I need serious help figuring out an area in GA that would best fit my needs.

I was born and raised in MA and moved to Florida just over three years ago. There are a lot of aspects that I love about Florida, but now that I am getting a little older the transient party central isn't exactly where I picture myself finding a decent man and wanting to settle down. I turned 26 years old a few days ago and have saved up a considerable amount of money and I'd like to find an area that has a slower paced lifestyle but isn't "boring". I like to go out occasionally but it's not my main priority anymore.. I like restaurants, shopping (anything from stationary to art to clothes to weapons) and the outdoors and I have a 6 month old puppy. I'd prefer someplace where it would be somewhat easy to make friends since I'm fairly outgoing. I'm not interested in going back up north as the idea of 4 feet of snow in three weeks doesn't sound as fun as it used to. I'm not really looking to move into the city which is making my research more difficult. I started looking into the Athens area (not downtown, since I'm not in college and not 18-21) but it's proved more challenging than I thought. I plan on visiting wherever appeals most to me before I make any serious decisions so any and all ideas from either natives or people who have relocated themselves would be appreciated!!! My mom's voice just popped into my head concerning the crime rate as well haha... although I know every area has its pros/cons..

Thank you in advance
shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 03:02 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Where will your job be located?

That is the most important thing to consider.

Find out where your job will be located and then look for a good place to live close to where your job will be located.

If you do not have a job lined up in Georgia, then be absolutely sure to have a well-paying job and/or jobs lined up BEFORE moving to Georgia.

Early-on, it sounds like the greater Atlanta metro region would likely be the best fit for your given your needs.

Because most job and career opportunities in Georgia will by far be found in the Atlanta area, the roughly 30-county plus Atlanta metro region should probably be the place where you should start and focus your search for employment and career opportunities.

You could also look in Savannah where there is lots of fun stuff to do.

Athens is a great place to live, but unless one works at the University of Georgia, one will potentially have to commute elsewhere (likely closer to Atlanta) for well-paying job and career opportunities.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:20 PM

22 posts, read 22,353 times
Hi Try Dunwoody area (30346)...it is getting to be another Buckhead but more affordable. Shops restaurants bars walkin distance. but the area is getting expensive as well (rent and house). Traffic wise, its bad during rush hour especially in the afternoon (well bad everywhere at atlanta), morning is acceptable, because the place you get on highway is just before it get congested on 400 (imagine you live around perimeter mall area). I live close to exist 29 on 285 now, what I like the most is convenience to the shops, and be able to avoid 400/285 intersection congestion in the afternoon (right at the place the traffic gets bad, i can get off the highway).. lots young professionals in the area. convenient to get in and get out of the city. Marta can bring you to downtown. the area is really safe, dunwoody police department is superb!

I wish I could find an affordable townhome in this area, but chance is slim now...saw a 1978 townhome 270k and 400 hoa each month, INSANE!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabanana View Post
First off, thank you for taking the time to read this... I need serious help figuring out an area in GA that would best fit my needs.

I was born and raised in MA and moved to Florida just over three years ago. There are a lot of aspects that I love about Florida, but now that I am getting a little older the transient party central isn't exactly where I picture myself finding a decent man and wanting to settle down. I turned 26 years old a few days ago and have saved up a considerable amount of money and I'd like to find an area that has a slower paced lifestyle but isn't "boring". I like to go out occasionally but it's not my main priority anymore.. I like restaurants, shopping (anything from stationary to art to clothes to weapons) and the outdoors and I have a 6 month old puppy. I'd prefer someplace where it would be somewhat easy to make friends since I'm fairly outgoing. I'm not interested in going back up north as the idea of 4 feet of snow in three weeks doesn't sound as fun as it used to. I'm not really looking to move into the city which is making my research more difficult. I started looking into the Athens area (not downtown, since I'm not in college and not 18-21) but it's proved more challenging than I thought. I plan on visiting wherever appeals most to me before I make any serious decisions so any and all ideas from either natives or people who have relocated themselves would be appreciated!!! My mom's voice just popped into my head concerning the crime rate as well haha... although I know every area has its pros/cons..

Thank you in advance
shannon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia