Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 PM

23,314 posts, read 43,771,460 times

Advertisements

It should be said that Lewis Grizzard is not an example of a coastal GA accent. He was raised in west central GA; the accents are dissimilar. The same is true of Paula Deen; she was raised in SW GA, not Savannah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:10 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,826,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It should be said that Lewis Grizzard is not an example of a coastal GA accent. He was raised in west central GA; the accents are dissimilar. The same is true of Paula Deen; she was raised in SW GA, not Savannah.
Exactly, Lovin. Moreland for Lewis, and Albany for Paula.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:04 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,259,275 times
Yes you are right mason it is the gen before baby boomer that has it. that guy's accent is kind of generic Piedmont accent. Not like coastal where there are no "R"s.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:30 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,502,202 times
I prefer the genteel coastal drawl over the nasally hillbilly speak

Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 PM

11,366 posts, read 24,327,173 times
My husband says many of the southerners he knows tend to leave off their "L's" more than their "R's".

For instance: when they say "Bulldogs" you hear "Boodahgs".

I rarely hear people leave off their "R's" and believe it's a bad Hollywood exaggeration, because no one ever gets our accents right.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,259,275 times
On that last point why ms ellie I do declare you are most certainly right. Yes on the "l"s too. Which is more of an upstate occurrence I think, vs. coastal where R is dropped...

Old 02-21-2015, 04:23 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Yes, SavLife, we have to distinguish those southern coastal plain, port-city accents (Savannah, Mobile -- the old Mobile accent is nice -- Charleston, Wilmington, New Orleans) from the interior piedmont. The old native Columbus and Augusta accents are still kind of nice and smooth, but once you really get closer to, or into, the Appalachians, a nasal twang takes over more and more. Knoxville's native accent is often very twangy. The old Savannah accent has no real nasality -- it's pure honey. But it's almost gone.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 48,609 times
I had thought that "coastal southern" was a term which applied to most of the non-rhotic Southern accents in the east. My grandparents and the majority of older folks (60+) where I come from, around central Georgia, speak with a non-rhotic accent very similar to Lewis in the video I attached. I speak with a milder accent, yet it is non-rhotic nontheless. And just to get rid of some annoying stereotypes, I've never heard anyone speak like the actors in "Gone with the Wind", it's either a long dead accent or one that never existed, so if you could quit that "I do declare!" rubbish that would be nice. I might make a recording of the way my family speaks in the future: that would get rid of some stereotypes and confusion.

I rarely hear younger people speak with a non-rhotic accent, more often I hear an Appalachian-like heavily rhotic accent in Georgia (or a Northern accent). However, if you go into the small, rural towns you may find a number of people who speak with non-rhoticity. It's remarkable how quickly the accents have changed over fifty years, when there were many more non-rhotic speakers around. Some more examples of non-rhotic Georgia accents are below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9jyiM9vJ9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPyfqnCYO0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jir9AeVaEF0

Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,502,202 times
A lot of older people in Augusta and its surroundings still speak with the "marbles in the mouth) non-rhotic accent. It is especially heavy in the rural outskirts like Jefferson County, Burke County and McDuffie County. If you are one of the politcial good-ole-boy powerbrokers in Augusta it is pretty much required that you speak with this accent. Even many people will affect this accent just to fit in.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:30 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,186,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
I had thought that "coastal southern" was a term which applied to most of the non-rhotic Southern accents in the east. My grandparents and the majority of older folks (60+) where I come from, around central Georgia, speak with a non-rhotic accent very similar to Lewis in the video I attached. I speak with a milder accent, yet it is non-rhotic nontheless. And just to get rid of some annoying stereotypes, I've never heard anyone speak like the actors in "Gone with the Wind", it's either a long dead accent or one that never existed, so if you could quit that "I do declare!" rubbish that would be nice. I might make a recording of the way my family speaks in the future: that would get rid of some stereotypes and confusion.

I rarely hear younger people speak with a non-rhotic accent, more often I hear an Appalachian-like heavily rhotic accent in Georgia (or a Northern accent). However, if you go into the small, rural towns you may find a number of people who speak with non-rhoticity. It's remarkable how quickly the accents have changed over fifty years, when there were many more non-rhotic speakers around. Some more examples of non-rhotic Georgia accents are below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9jyiM9vJ9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPyfqnCYO0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jir9AeVaEF0
Sounds like music to me, I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia